Activision responds to Call of Duty fans' negative response to Infinite Warfare trailer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The first trailer for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare made its debut on YouTube earlier this week. As of writing, it has more than nine million views and well over twice as many thumbs-down (dislikes) as thumbs-up.

The Call of Duty franchise has evolved over the years, its subject matter ranging from the World War II era through modern-day combat and lately, futuristic warfare. It’s the continued path into the realm of sci-fi that many YouTube commenters are apparently taking issue with, some going so far as to compare the game to other futuristic franchises like Halo.

During a recent earnings call, Activision boss Eric Hirshberg was asked about fans’ negative reaction to the Infinite Warfare trailer. Predictably, he put a pretty solid spin on the matter.

The executive highlighted the collective passion of gamers and said they love the fact that fans have such strong points of view about it. He said they know there are people in the community who are nostalgic for the boots-on-the-ground style of gameplay which is why they’re bundling Modern Warfare Remastered with the new game.

Conversely, Hirshberg said there are millions of people that want to have new, innovative experiences in the game each year. Infinite Warfare will certainly deliver that experience, he said.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is one of the most beloved games in the franchise. The decision to remaster it was no doubt welcomed by millions of fans but the fact that it’s bundled with Infinite Warfare and won’t be sold separately is yet another sore spot. It’s a great business move to artificially drive sales of Infinite Warfare but it’s not really doing Activision any favors in the eyes of many.

Permalink to story.

Bunch of haters making themselves heard. Not that unusual on the internet. Most of those voters won't even be CoD players.

Bunch of haters making themselves heard. Not that unusual on the internet. Most of those voters won't even be CoD players.
When more than half the community dislikes a trailer, it's not just a bunch of haters talking **** about CoD, it's the community speaking. Now take Activision's **** out of your *** and see that they are just playing us fans of the series. "The more things change, the more they stay the same." — Shepherd's speech during the introduction of S.S.D.D. MW2

Not a hater, but I'm not exactly impressed with it. Frankly, I liked it better when they stuck with past wars with a historical flavor .... God knows we have enough of them to keep these guys busy for a few more decades!

When more than half the community dislikes a trailer, it's not just a bunch of haters talking **** about CoD, it's the community speaking. Now take Activision's **** out of your *** and see that they are just playing us fans of the series. "The more things change, the more they stay the same." — Shepherd's speech during the introduction of S.S.D.D. MW2

Wow mate, you okay? - Interestingly though, you proved my point about haters beyond reasonable doubt with that little outburst.

Is the negativity towards the game or the fact that they're forcing you to buy the more expensive editions to get the remastered modern warfare?

The CoD games are a pure money grab these days, fuelled by teenage kids.

Basically they release a titled every year and it would be a stretch to call that title new. They then release a $30+ DLC a few months later which let’s be honest is mandatory. Not buying the DLC breaks the game for you since it is now very difficult to get a game online as they split the game into those with DLC and those without.

Soon after the second DLC arrives the situation worsens and now you need to shell out at least another $60 if you want to keep playing. The DLC buys you up to 4 new multiplayer maps and a new zombie mode that is limited to a single map and will be really old within a week.

At this point you know you have been absolutely steam rolled and have to decide if you cut your losses and get out now or keep feeding the beast. It is at that point that the next CoD is announced.

It's just stupid that they've taken it too far beyond BOII. There's a degree that it stops feeling like CoD and starts feeling like Crysis.

Personally, I've liked the more modern spins. I never cared for playing historical wars, and didn't get fully immersed into CoD until Modern Warfare came out. All the tech may not be relevant, but the storylines of how terrorists can do so much damage really opens your eyes on how lucky we've been as a society so far. That "fear" has gotten me more involved in the CoD franchise. Past wars didn't have to deal with that scenario.

^ This! I remember playing MW1 I think ( my first game I played from the series) and when I got thrown out of thr icy mountain or lost footing (can't remember) and end up on the wall going up eith my feet and a hammer - boy, that was it for me and only got better with pjanes falling down from the sky, the story telling and immersion was like nothing I experienced before. Do I don't care, game looks great, and like James Bond, the more locations they offer with new twists they delivered at least in my book ;-)

The CoD games are a pure money grab these days, fuelled by teenage kids.

Basically they release a titled every year and it would be a stretch to call that title new. They then release a $30+ DLC a few months later which let’s be honest is mandatory. Not buying the DLC breaks the game for you since it is now very difficult to get a game online as they split the game into those with DLC and those without.

Soon after the second DLC arrives the situation worsens and now you need to shell out at least another $60 if you want to keep playing. The DLC buys you up to 4 new multiplayer maps and a new zombie mode that is limited to a single map and will be really old within a week.

At this point you know you have been absolutely steam rolled and have to decide if you cut your losses and get out now or keep feeding the beast. It is at that point that the next CoD is announced.

Yes I agree it is a money grab however the part that I believe many CoD critics dismiss is the action and immersion aspects of such a series and why it still continues to be very successful while other popular franchises (Halo, Assassin's Creed) have cooled off. Most people who play a CoD game aren't expecting a 5 star title nor do they hold this series to the same standards as they would for AC, Halo, GTA, or even BattleField.

For most CoD customers this game is little more than a 4-6hr interactive Michael Bay film for $60. When you think about it from that perspective it's quite a deal compared to going to a theater just one time and spending just as much money if not more (IMAX). The addition of REAL Hollywood actors in the more recent CoD relases only serves to solidify this point.

On of my favorite examples is Black Ops 2 where in one particular flashback sequence you're in 1980's Afghanistan flighting with the Mujahedeen against the Soviets while on horseback charging towards a group of tanks and hind helicopters flying above. Now if this was already mind blowing from a regular monitor imagine doing something similar in full VR a year or two down the line.

It will sell a BAZILLION......after all the franchise is "beloved" according to Techspot

They took the chicken shite way out,... too many crybullies and SJW's around to protest any game that involves anything on this planet.. so they went to space. This was EA's way of making sure the cultural Marxists didn't sit on their doorstep. Way to pander to the effete an ridiculous EA.

Back