Adding telephony to a data switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.jacko

ok, here's the deal :)

standard network;
each pc has a wallplate with 2 x rj45 sockets, one connects to the pc to allow network/internet access, all standard stuff really.
The other is required for voice, whereby the pc user just plugs their phone into it and it works, enough said.
Now the comms rack has just a 24-port data switch at present and the telephony people have just installed a live phone line and thats it.
So, what is needed to allow the 2nd rj45 port to be used for telephony (apart from phone handsets ;)?)
A voice panel of some sort? some kind of convertor?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

rj 45 is not used for telephony except through voip. You will need to establish a voip service. skype, vonage, etc....

if you want standward telephony, you will need to use an rj-11 port with a telephone and a program that allows usage of the rj-11 port.

a voip setup is easier.

We use rj45 here Tedster and it aint voip. Our isdn boxes sit in the comms room, somewhere they connect to the NEC/Phillips pstn (or pabx?) and i then just patch the appropriate port numbers and away we go.
But this was all done years ago before i joined the company so i don't know how it was done.

Worked at a company where a single RJ11 line from the wall feed the phone and then
dasiy chained from it to a dumb monitor.

The PBX (System 85 if I recalled) was in a closet with a rack full of PDMs, one for each office.

The setup allowed any office to connect to any server system with shell level access.

yea, it's not a common setup today, but it does serve to point out that there are
other alternatives than just RJ45 ethernet to desktop systems. sometimes dumb terminals will work with a huge cost savings.

guess you can consider it all OFF THE TOPIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back