Advice on new build, budget is roughly $1,340

Kagamex

I'm gonna help my buddy build a new computer after the summer break when he (and hopefully I)
have earned some money. His budget is around 1340$ or 830£. I already know a fair share about computers, but I don't feel confident enough to ensure him that "these parts will do the best job" or that "this is the optimal choice", at least not when it comes to a computer built on such a tight budget. I know for sure that he gets bothered by fans that sound much, I've often had to turn off a few of mine during a LAN.

Here's some more of the required info; We both live in Sweden, he has not bought any parts yet, including the OS, he will not re-use any old parts, and he has keyboard, mice, headset, monitor, and yes I'm gonna install some fairly cheap aftermarket coolers to reduce the noise (rear fan and CPU cooler). He probably wont overclock anything in the near future, he has no interest in it, and does not know how to.

Here are the components; https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/1729053/2012-04-25. I'm very well aware that the site is in swedish, but this is the cart and you should clearly be able to see what components I've currently picked, if you would like a link to an identical cart on Amazon please tell me, I wont mind making one. Problem is, he's not gonna bother himself to order from a foreign site, luckily almost everything is available on the Swedish online market, and if not, there's usually something of equal performance/quality. The main question here is wether he should get an SSD or not, and if ~20dB is noisy or not. Of course, any other advices for what components to use are welcome.

What he will be playing is games like Diablo 3, the Empire series (you know Total War, Napoleon, Shogun and so forth), Tribes:Ascend, and possibly Guild Wars 2 upon it's glorious release. So it will be a variety of both fast paced and slow paced games.

Now you might wonder why I'm posting this for him? Well, he's asking me for advice about things that goes beyond my knowledge. This doesn't quite answer the question, but it's the best I got.

There's no "S" in advice, at least here on the other side of the Atlantic. What you have picked looks okay, and if you want to go SSD please read up on things like AHCI and SATA 3 before you commit to SSD

That looks like a decent choice of components, a few suggestions:
- Get the 1600Mhz version of that RAM, it's the same price. I can't read Swedish but if that yellow dot means it's out of stock then the Vengeance one is only 10 SEK more.
- Get this PSU instead, it's built by Seasonic (not all Corsair PSUs are the same)
- You might want to consider an SSD if your budget allows for it, the overall responsiveness of the computer will improve dramatically.

That looks like a decent choice of components, a few suggestions:
- Get the 1600Mhz version of that RAM, it's the same price. I can't read Swedish but if that yellow dot means it's out of stock then the Vengeance one is only 10 SEK more.
- Get this PSU instead, it's built by Seasonic (not all Corsair PSUs are the same)
- You might want to consider an SSD if your budget allows for it, the overall responsiveness of the computer will improve dramatically.
just wondering why I should get the PSU for ~20£ more just to get 50W? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 600W is enough as far as I'm concerned.

There's no "S" in advice, at least here on the other side of the Atlantic. What you have picked looks okay, and if you want to go SSD please read up on things like AHCI and SATA 3 before you commit to SSD
Advice in plural is advices isn't it? Or am I completely off track?

Advice is advice, no "s" ever... In USA English. He gives advice, she gives advice. They gave advice. You are going to give him advice tomorrow. A long time ago, they all gave advice... Get it now?

just wondering why I should get the PSU for ~20£ more just to get 50W? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 600W is enough as far as I'm concerned.
Yes 600W is enough, but it's not about the headline number, the TX series is better than the CX series in terms of build quality. The TX 650 is manufactured by Seasonic (considered the most reliable in the business) and comes with a longer warranty.

Here's a good reference site.

Advice is advice, no "s" ever... In USA English. He gives advice, she gives advice. They gave advice. You are going to give him advice tomorrow. A long time ago, they all gave advice... Get it now?
What about "could you please advise me on my computer"

In UK English advice is a noun and advise is a verb.

Yes, that is better :) Using "Could you give me advices" sounds funny
OK I see what you're getting at, I interpreted your "There's no "S" in advice" to mean there's no such word as "advise" rather than a discussion of plurality..

Anyways time to get back on topic ;)

I agree with all the advise above regarding specification, a small CCD sorry I mean SSD for the system and a large HDD for data is always a good compromice!

"You might want to consider an SSD if your budget allows for it, the overall responsiveness of the computer will improve dramatically"... Yes, for a while... SSD's are not that reliable. If you can't set them up on AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) and a SATA 3 connection, you will NOT get the best performance either

"You might want to consider an SSD if your budget allows for it, the overall responsiveness of the computer will improve dramatically"... Yes, for a while... SSD's are not that reliable. If you can't set them up on AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) and a SATA 3 connection, you will NOT get the best performance either
If you're talking about probability of failure then SSDs are FAR better than HDDs as they have no moving parts. Performance might deteriorate slightly over time but I've had my SSD for almost 2 years and it's still running fine. The OP just needs to ensure TRIM is enabled (should be by default anyway) and his mobo supports SATA 3 and AHCI.

SSD's can start having corrupted data because the internal TRIM circuits become unable to correct these data errors over time. This has nothing to do with mechanical movement or not. Don't you have a few flash drives that don't work any longer? I have mechanical drives that still work after 10 years... Needless to say, many people just throw an SSD in place of the old mechanical hard drive, and wonder why they start getting instability and BSOD's. Don't worry slh28, in June I will install my first SSD in my new build. I do know about AHCI and SATA3:)

Back