After Netflix, now Youtube starts blaming ISPs for slow video streams

Himanshu Arora

Staff

YouTube has started notifying users that their ISPs could be the reason behind problems like blurring video or excessive buffering. The video streaming service now sometimes displays an 'Experiencing interruptions?' bar underneath choppy videos with a link to obtain more information.

netflix youtube isps isp internet service providers streaming service

Clicking on the 'Find out why' button loads a Video Quality Report, allowing users to check out video consumption times within the area as well as compare their ISP service with other potential options. The best service providers are labeled “YouTube HD Verified”, while others are classified in Standard Definition and Lower Definition categories.

netflix youtube isps isp internet service providers streaming service

Google, who owns YouTube, says that these ratings represent the video streaming quality you can expect (at least 90% of the time) when you watch YouTube on an Internet service provider in a specific area.

According to the search giant, HD Verified means that you should be able to consistently watch HD-quality video (at least 720p) without buffering or interruptions, Standard Definition means that you should be able to watch videos in Standard Definition (at least 360p) without buffering or interruptions, while Lower Definition means that the video will play back in resolution lower than 360p, will load slowly, and may stop to re-buffer.

The news comes a couple of months after Netflix started displaying similar in-player video messages, naming and shaming a user’s ISP whenever a video had trouble loading quickly or wasn’t able to display the highest quality stream. Although the subscription service stopped showing the messages shortly after Verizon threatened legal action, it continues to display the results of average streaming speeds for all ISPs.

A YouTube spokesman told Re/code that the new warning messages are about educating people, and not meant to shame ISPs.

Permalink to story.

The reason YouTube is choppy is because Google doesn't buffer it correctly. Any other video site allows you to load the entire video before watching it, or is smart enough to load at a rate faster than the viewing rate in case you stop midway through. With YouTube, it buffers a small amount and then stops, so when you reach that point it will stop playing. If you try to rewind to the beginning of the video, it starts buffering all over again instead of using what has already loaded.

The reason YouTube is choppy is because Google doesn't buffer it correctly. Any other video site allows you to load the entire video before watching it, or is smart enough to load at a rate faster than the viewing rate in case you stop midway through. With YouTube, it buffers a small amount and then stops, so when you reach that point it will stop playing. If you try to rewind to the beginning of the video, it starts buffering all over again instead of using what has already loaded.

Exactly.

I haven't had much problem with my TWC 30 Mbps since I bought my own modem and my videos load much faster now, so I can't complain much besides price $50 per month, but soon I will have Google Fiber and can't wait to enjoy a much better connection for the right price! :D

Incorrect. This is due to YouTube's DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) system, which breaks videos up into chunks so it can buffer them AND adapt to possible changing network conditions without stalling (e.g. on a mobile device).

YouTube can still buffer the entire video if you want, but the option is disabled unless you use the YouTube Center extension (available for Chrome, Firefox and Opera).

The reason YouTube is choppy for you? As the article says, likely your ISP. Google and YouTube have bandwidth for days.

Youtube doesnt allow non dash for some resolutions, sadly this includes 1080p so dash is the only way to do 1080 and 480

I'm paying Comcast $69/m for 50mbps down in my area. I've noticed that after about am hour of streaming HD video I get interruptions in service. While some argue that heavy users should pay more, I argue that both ends are already paying for it. I'm paying Comcast for 300gb of bandwidth at 50mbps. If they cannot provide me with that, or restrict my speeds, then I am not getting the service I am paying for. Too bad they're the only game in my area....

Youtube stream crash randomly at 240Gbps, must use extension download the full stream and start after.

I'm all for this public shaming of the ISP's, they are getting out of control. It's quite funny to be publicly (even more) known that your service sucks.
My exact thoughts... if your service sucks, let it be known. Some people don't know good ISPs from bad so this can help!

Instead of blaming ISPs (which may well be indeed to blame) why don't you BUFFER THE DAMN VIDEO SUFFICIENTLY BEFORE STARTING IT!

It's a simple calculation and there is NO REASON your video should be stopping unless your connection speed drops below the low average or stops completely.

Netflix manages not to stop playback, although it compromises video quality to keep it going. There is no reason why you can't just have the user wait 20 seconds while their video buffers for their desired resolution.

Ridiculous....

On another note, our ISPs really need to work faster in beefing up our infrastructure. The backbone connections are not enough for our new demands and we need more. We ARE paying customers, start using that money to make our internet access bigger and better, rather than applying extra cushioning to the paychecks of your CEO's and other big wigs.

Instead of blaming ISPs (which may well be indeed to blame) why don't you BUFFER THE DAMN VIDEO SUFFICIENTLY BEFORE STARTING IT!

It's a simple calculation and there is NO REASON your video should be stopping unless your connection speed drops below the low average or stops completely.

Netflix manages not to stop playback, although it compromises video quality to keep it going. There is no reason why you can't just have the user wait 20 seconds while their video buffers for their desired resolution.

Ridiculous....

On another note, our ISPs really need to work faster in beefing up our infrastructure. The backbone connections are not enough for our new demands and we need more. We ARE paying customers, start using that money to make our internet access bigger and better, rather than applying extra cushioning to the paychecks of your CEO's and other big wigs.
youtube changed up their stuff, and it no longer buffers the whole video in one go, unless I'm mistaken. I can't say with netflix however. I've seen it buffer all the way when I paused at the beginning

My ISP is HD verified by that Test and haven't had any issues since I went docsis 3.

I was on a 45/4 connection now 60/10 and no complaints.

I sometimes get certain YouTube videos that just won't buffer at 480 while another will play fine (just) at 720 on my 3 meg line. Netflix cuts out for me if others are using the net even if its just a mobile phone browsing Facebook.

Exactly. I was getting Comcast's 50mb/s plan as well and YouTube would crap out after just a few minutes of perfect streaming every time. YouTube pretty much didn't work except when the time went to midnight and then it suddenly worked perfectly again. I thought maybe it was just due to heavy internet usage in my area except that only YouTube and Netflix suffered any kind of slow downs... plus they both worked perfectly over my phone's data plan... and using a proxy made it work just fine as well. I'm pretty convinced that it was Comcast targeting certain streaming services specifically.

Well YT needs to get their crap together because 70% of the time I have to pause the damn video so it will buffer and not stop every 20 seconds. There really is no reason for it.

Back