Ahead of Its Time: 9 Tech Products That Were Too Early to Market

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/723-tech-ahead-of-its-time/]https://www.techspot.com/article/723-tech-ahead-of-its-time/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

The Treo was fantastic in most respects - it was my first real smartphone. However, I soon traded it for a Nokia because of Palm's unfortunate decision to use slick, rounded metal buttons. It made typing and navigating on that particular Treo a maddening experience.

Is it sad that I used or had over half of those things and had at least heard of all the rest?

Add the UMPC and it's ilk into that list. I still want a Vaio UX - maybe Sony could release a new version...

I was surprised to see VCR Plus+ (we called it G-Code here in Australia). Was a great little invention back in the day, I didn't use it myself because didn't have a VCR that had it. I even remember the local TV guide always included the G-Code for each program. I definitely would of used it, if had access to it.

The Treo was pretty successful product and the reason Palm bought Handspring back in the day. There were plenty of apps and it was a very useful gadget beyond the phone. However I don't argue with it being on the list. Palm should have evolved the Treo and arrived to near iPhone-level smartphones before anyone else. The story would have been way, way different.

Lol, some of these I actually own as an avid game collector.

Powerglove is exactly as described, its funny to use, I have gotten a lot of entertainment figuring out how the thing works time and time again.

Virtual Boy, wow that was a headache in a box, I do like some of the game, I own every one for it from the American side and some are actually quite fun. Teleroboxer is actually an amazing game that I love on it, but I get a headache trying to play through it.

This article is a reminder that innovation does happen, but only a small amount becomes successful. When I see articles condemning companies for not being innovative, I have to laugh. You have to launch innovative products at the right time, and hope you are also LUCKY.

The Treo was fantastic in most respects - it was my first real smartphone. However, I soon traded it for a Nokia because of Palm's unfortunate decision to use slick, rounded metal buttons. It made typing and navigating on that particular Treo a maddening experience.
I remember the Treo. I also remember it was frightfully expensive. I'm surprised Handspring didn't sue Apple for copying them then claiming to be the first smartphone maker. That said they may have attempted to do so but Apple probably dissuaded them by sending in the muscle complete with cement shoes.

Personally, I had webTV and met multiple users online that had webTV. I don't consider it a failure....

The Treo wasn't released before it's time. That and the Blackberry were very successful. I still have a Treo in a drawer here. VCR+ was also pretty popular.

The power glove just wasn't very good along with that horrible 3D system. Smart watches stink now too and are unlikely to have a time. The problem with WebTV was the resolution of the TVs.

Quantum Link and AOL were the first social large networks and they certainly weren't before their time. It was really when AOL went unlimited time that it took off.

Power glove sucked to play with but it made you feel like a badass with it on.

You could probably fill this list with Microsoft products alone. No mention of the Microsoft tablet that appeared in the mid 90's.

Two problems with the article:

1) Sega Channel on-demand gaming service
1a) Videotron in Canada had a gaming service through their cable box in '89/90...which predates Sega Channel by a few years.

2) Palm Treo smartphone
2a) The smartphone has been around since '94, so Palm didn't create the smartphone market either!

It makes one feel old when there's a description of a VCR's function :|

You feel old, I'm almost 40, I didn't even know what a VCR was until sometime in '84, the group home I lived in got one then, although earlier that year my primary worker brought in a Beta machine and that was the first & last time I ever saw one of those!

Back