All of my files are sharing?

Whiteblooded

Hey guys.

I had a problem earlier, where vista gave me a "your user profile was not loaded correctly" message, and it would not load my profile up. I decided to make a new profile, and just copy everything over from the old one (I followed this guide : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile ).

I used ubuntu to copy and paste the files over, because whenever I tried on windows I got 100s of overwrite/don't overwrite and 'we don't want to copy and paste this here because the name is too long' etc (I was copying files from the old user to the new user whilst logged into a third user). Eventually after several attempts, I got sick of windows and decided ubuntu would do a better job.

Ubuntu copied and pasted everything over just fine.. and the new user works just fine too.. I can even pick up saved games from where I left off.. but now ALL of my files in my c:\users\[user] folder have sharing icons on:

sharingi.jpg

I can manually change each file to only allow me access and to take away the sharing icon.. but there are lots of files. I was wondering if there's a fast way to make everything the whole folder mine, and get rid of all those sharing icons.

I've tried going through each of the folders in the c:\users\[user] folder, giving only me permissions to each folder, however the files inside these folders still appear to be shared (as seen with the c:\users\[user]\desktop folder above)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

hmm; that <everyone> is a bigger problem than sharing per se

Using an Admin account, get the Properties of the \Users\[userid] folder &
  • add the Administrators group and Full Control (FC)
  • add your new UAC id and FC also
  • delete <Everyone>
  • set Inherit and Replace
  • apply the changes
The \Users\[userid] folder will be private again and even if Sharing is attempted, it will
fail due to NTFS permissions

Back