All Samsung's Ultra HD monitors in 2015 to support FreeSync

Scorpus

Staff member

At AMD's Future of Compute event in Singapore, Samsung announced that all of their Ultra HD monitors released in 2015 will support FreeSync. The adaptive refresh rate technology will allow gamers to achieve smoother gameplay at 4K when frame rates drop below the display's native refresh rate, making 40 FPS gaming seem just as smooth as 60 FPS.

Samsung is the first company to officially support FreeSync, which was first announced by AMD at CES 2014 as a competitor to Nvidia's similar G-Sync technology. It's a big win for AMD, who have been working to get their royalty-free and VESA-backed technology onto the market as quickly as possible, recently announcing that FreeSync will be supported by the three biggest display scaler manufacturers.

At the event, Samsung specifically announced five Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) monitors that will launch in 2015 and support FreeSync. The UE590 will be available in 23.6 and 28 inch sizes, while the UE850 will come in 23.6, 27 and 31.5 inch models. Further details for these monitors will be announced shortly.

FreeSync will be supported in a range of AMD's graphics cards, athough not all of them: you'll need a GCN 1.1 GPU or higher, like the Radeon R9 290 or R9 290X. Despite the power of these cards, FreeSync is an especially important feature as they struggle to deliver 60 FPS at high quality settings at monster resolutions such as Ultra HD.

Thanks to FreeSync's open and non-proprietary nature, monitors using the technology will (most likely) be cheaper than equivalents using G-Sync. There will still be a premium initially as display scaler manufacturers produce their first FreeSync compatible scalers, but it shouldn't hurt the hip pocket of gamers significantly.

Permalink to story.

Freesync doesn't even work the picture along shows that freesync doesn't work and doesnt even exist its just false advertising.

What about TVs? Will they have FreeSync as well? If it's free then there shouldn't be a reason why they won't.

AMD marketing which caters to the cheap (I'm not excluding myself) looking for anything falsely labeled as free. Nothing in mass volume is free! In this case, Free-sync no more free than G-Sync.

AMD marketing which caters to the cheap (I'm not excluding myself) looking for anything falsely labeled as free. Nothing in mass volume is free! In this case, Free-sync no more free than G-Sync.

Free-Sync is literally free. Samsung was going to have to adapt the new standard for 4k anyways, free-sync is really just an added perk for them to market to gamers.

G-Sync on the other hard requires additional hardware.

G-Sync on the other hard requires additional hardware.

There will still be a premium initially as display scaler manufacturers produce their first FreeSync compatible scalers, but it shouldn't hurt the hip pocket of gamers significantly.

Free?
FreeSync is free in the fact you don't have to pay to use it, but you do have to have the compatible hardware to run it - that isn't free.

"AMD marketing which caters to the cheap (I'm not excluding myself) looking for anything falsely labeled as free. Nothing in mass volume is free! In this case, Free-sync no more free than G-Sync."

Let's see, panel with freesync feature for the same price as the panel without freesync. Nope, that's free feature alright.

Freesync doesn't even work the picture along shows that freesync doesn't work and doesnt even exist its just false advertising.
it works very well. are you one of those guys who wants g-sync but it's too expensive for you?

No im just the type of person who knows freesync is a sham, if it does work then why in the picture does freesync upgrade a monitor?

does freesync make my monitor upgrade to a more better looking monitor magically or is that just something you guys are gonna try bs me on?

So adaptive sync doesnt work becase of a picture eh?

so the one organisation that has the only saying about monitors VESA choosed the worst of the two to become a standar as of 1.2a dp

well you know the ignorance level on the internet is so huge that people actually think nvidia will steamroll vesa and wins with a locked down to a specific combination of gpu's and monitors
yeap enough internet for today

No im just the type of person who knows freesync is a sham, if it does work then why in the picture does freesync upgrade a monitor?

does freesync make my monitor upgrade to a more better looking monitor magically or is that just something you guys are gonna try bs me on?
you are someone who likes to visit techspot a lot and I believe people who are regulars are actually a bit more tech-savvy then the rest of the "casuals". I expected better from you.

Man, some of these guys. Do a little research before you troll. Than at least you could seem halfway competent. Some of these comments are so off base it's like you keep forgetting you are replying to the wrong thread.

Back