Alleged Intel Core i9-12900K and DDR5 combo beats AMD's Threadripper in Cinebench

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Ever since several engineering samples of Intel's upcoming Core i9-12900K ended up on the Chinese market, there have been several alleged benchmarks popping up online to showcase the performance of the new CPU. The latest leak shows it easily defeating AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X in the Cinebench R23 multi-core test, which would be no small feat.

It seems like there's no shortage of leaks when it comes to Intel's upcoming Alder Lake flagship CPU. Last month, the Core i9-12900K was seen on Geekbench with single- and multi-core numbers rivaling those of AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X. Earlier this week, another Core i9-12900K sample was benchmarked in Ashes of the Singularity, with results that were 39 percent better than the AMD counterpart.

The latest leak comes via Twitter user @hw_reveal, who shared a screenshot of what appears to be an Intel Core i9-12900K that was able to score 30,549 points in the Cinebench R23 util-core test. This score would make the Alder Lake flagship faster than a standard, non-overclocked Ryzen 9 5950X, which can score around 28,000 points on the same test. Even Team Red's 32-core Threadripper 2990WX is only able to hit around 29,700 points.

One should note that an overclocked Ryzen 9 5950X paired with the best DDR4 RAM out there can easily score over 31,000 points in the Cinebench R23 multi-core test. Still, that doesn't make the alleged 12900K's result any less impressive, grain of salt included.

Interestingly, the test system appears to include the Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Ultra and 32 gigabytes of DDR5-5200 memory. The Alder Lake sample seems to be capable of running at up to 5.3 GHz, but it's unlikely it will boost that high in the multi-core test. It doesn't seem overclocked, but the DDR5 memory appears to be running above spec using Intel's new Gear 4 mode for better stability.

If the recently leaked retail pricing for Alder Lake holds and these results are any indication of the performance we can expect from Intel's 12th generation flagship CPU, Team Blue may well have a winner in its hands. That is until AMD brings the thunder again with its 3D V-Cache technology.

Permalink to story.

Given how AMDs performance increases with memory speed, I'm curious to see how AMD running on DDR5 compares to Intel.

AMD might get the crown back with DDR5 alone.
I should hope so. AM5 is tipped for Q4 2022 putting it a year behind Alder lake. And if AMD can’t beat one year old Intel CPUs then we are back to the FX days.

Although we don’t even know if Alder lake can beat Zen 3 yet. Sure, it probably will but it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve been disappointed on launch day.

I should hope so. AM5 is tipped for Q4 2022 putting it a year behind Alder lake. And if AMD can’t beat one year old Intel CPUs then we are back to the FX days.

Although we don’t even know if Alder lake can beat Zen 3 yet. Sure, it probably will but it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve been disappointed on launch day.
I say let Intel make faster CPUs, as long as they keep fighting back and fourth we can get last generation hardware for cheap. My 1800x and 1070ti aren't the best performers but they still perform very well. The generational performance gap isn't what it once was so you can get away with going 5-6 years without an upgrade.

I might be a bit of an outlier because I mostly play older games, but everything I play I play on a 65" TV fine at 4k60. My next upgrade will be a PC that can play 8k120 so we are a bit far off yet. Unless I can get some hardware for cheap, I don't see myself upgrading for awhile. I really want a 6800xt or whatever AMD plans to release to top the 6900(6950xtx?). They still don't have a single display output that can do 8k120 so I'll probably be waiting awhile

I say let Intel make faster CPUs, as long as they keep fighting back and fourth we can get last generation hardware for cheap. My 1800x and 1070ti aren't the best performers but they still perform very well. The generational performance gap isn't what it once was so you can get away with going 5-6 years without an upgrade.

I might be a bit of an outlier because I mostly play older games, but everything I play I play on a 65" TV fine at 4k60. My next upgrade will be a PC that can play 8k120 so we are a bit far off yet. Unless I can get some hardware for cheap, I don't see myself upgrading for awhile. I really want a 6800xt or whatever AMD plans to release to top the 6900(6950xtx?). They still don't have a single display output that can do 8k120 so I'll probably be waiting awhile
There isn't even a video card that could handle it even if there was a display. You might be able upscale but that would be it until or if the tech ever gets to that point. Getting everything to that point will probably be another 5 yrs, maybe even longer.

There isn't even a video card that could handle it even if there was a display. You might be able upscale but that would be it until or if the tech ever gets to that point. Getting everything to that point will probably be another 5 yrs, maybe even longer.
There are displays that both support and handle it, but they cost as much as a new car. Like I said, we're still a long way off. I'm also going to makesure it's a microLED instead of an OLED. Also, 8k120 only works with 2xdisplayports and there isn't an 8k120tv that has that. I'll probably upgrade to a 4k120 TV before I upgrade my hardware with a "god box" digging into my retirement fund to power a display. I'm seriously expecting to pay $5-7000 system wide on my next build when the tech is available. I've been planning this build like this since the late 2000s. I'm well prepared to pay as much as a nice used car for it

Well you can wait for a DDR4 leak and comment then if this isn’t interesting to you.
interest has nothing to do with pointing out an unfair benchmark. I find it INTERESTING as to why this article means anything when one chip is being tested with next gen hardware and one isn't. if I wasnt interested I wouldnt have clicked on the article.

interest has nothing to do with pointing out an unfair benchmark. I find it INTERESTING as to why this article means anything when one chip is being tested with next gen hardware and one isn't. if I wasnt interested I wouldnt have clicked on the article.

If one platform supports DDR5 and the other doesn‘t it‘s not unfair imho as ADL should be released in a little while.

Like I said before, how much of Alder Lake's performance comes from the advancement of the CPU itself and how much from the extra performance given by Win11+DDR5?

Put this Alder Lake CPU on Win10+DDR4 vs Zen3 and see how it's score drops, but it will be interesting by how much? 10%? More?

Anyway, it will be a short lived victory, Zen3+ comes 1-2 months after. AMD does not need Zen4 to beat Alder Lake.

Earlier this week, another Core i9-12900K sample was benchmarked in the latest version of Ashes of the Singularity that now supports up to 16C24T - coincidentally exactly the number of cores and threads the 12900K features - , with results that were 39 percent better than the AMD counterpart.

Here, fixed it for you. BTW: Are the Ryzen scores used for comparison run before or after the update ?

8K 120Hz or FPS?.... I mean I know you need one to do the other but no GPU will be able to play games at 120fps anytime soon...

Like I said before, how much of Alder Lake's performance comes from the advancement of the CPU itself and how much from the extra performance given by Win11+DDR5?

Put this Alder Lake CPU on Win10+DDR4 vs Zen3 and see how it's score drops, but it will be interesting by how much? 10%? More?

Anyway, it will be a short lived victory, Zen3+ comes 1-2 months after. AMD does not need Zen4 to beat Alder Lake.
Likely quite a bit, I doubt there are many m0r0ns who would dump $500+ on an alder lake CPU and then chose an older memroy standard. It's exciting to see what DDR5 can do.

Likely quite a bit, I doubt there are many m0r0ns who would dump $500+ on an alder lake CPU and then chose an older memroy standard. It's exciting to see what DDR5 can do.
1. Sure, but Win11+DDR5 extra performance applies to lower, cheaper SKUs too (like i5s), so how about those CPUs losing performance without that or paying extra for DD5, more than the CPU is worth just to have better memory (+the cost of expensive motherboard)?

2. I can't wait to see DDR5 either, but for Zen4.

3. Although I think Zen3+ will be good enough to match or beat Alder Lake, even without DDR5, until Zen4 comes.

Admiral Yamamoto, after attacking Pearl Harbor, was reported to have said, "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant". Who know's, that could be what's happening here.

An unreleased cpu leveraging the improvements of other components, beating a current offering from their rival. Cool beans, but when AMD's next release is there to greet it, all bets are off.

Back