Amazon accidentally leaks its next Kindle Paperwhite

nanoguy

Staff member
What just happened? Amazon leaked two unannounced Kindle Paperwhite devices on its Canadian and Mexican storefronts, and it looks like they'll borrow some features from the current generation Kindle Oasis. Nothing is known about what type of connector they'll use, but hopefully it will be of the USB Type-C variety.

A new wave of Kindle devices may be on the way, and Amazon itself leaked it before any official announcement. According to a report from GoodEReader, the company briefly revealed the existence of a new Kindle Paperwhite and a Kindle Paperwhite Signature edition via a comparison chart found on its Canadian and Mexican online storefronts.

Immediately following the report, Amazon removed those details from its website, but by then it was too late. It looks like the new Kindle Paperwhite will move to a larger, 6.8-inch E Ink display with a density of 300 pixels per inch and slimmer bezels. The screen will now sit flush with the bezel like it does on the Kindle Oasis, and will integrate 17 white and amber LEDs.

The basic model will include 8GB of storage, while the Signature edition will have 32GB. Other details include support for Wi-Fi and an IPX8 waterproof rating for both models, which is the same as the current generation Kindle Paperwhite. The Signature model takes things up a notch with wireless charging and automatic screen brightness adjustments based on the environment.

Canadian pricing for the new Paperwhite devices was also revealed in the leak. The basic model will supposedly retail for $149.99 CAD while the Signature edition will be priced at $209.99 CAD. However, we probably won't have to wait much longer for an official announcement, considering Amazon is currently rolling out a "reimagined Kindle software experience" to pretty much all Kindle devices released since 2015.

Permalink to story.

Competitors are already releasing or close to releasing color e-ink devices and apparently it works reasonably well, so it makes sense that the "Oasis" level features would now be found in the regular paper white as they might bump up the Oasis to actually be color e-ink given the aforementioned trends

I use my kindle quite a lot to read books. I don’t use any of the other features. I’d rather they just made it lighter and added USB C rather than get some premium features or whatever.

Agreed, I bought a different ereader (Onyx Poke 3) after my kindle died and having the USB-C port was such an incredible improvement. I really wish Amazon would go that route for everyone else in my family who's in the kindle ecosystem.

I use my kindle quite a lot to read books. I don’t use any of the other features. I’d rather they just made it lighter and added USB C rather than get some premium features or whatever.
Also agreed. Just give me USB-C already.

That aside, the current Paperwhite's screen already sits flush with the bezel. The only upgrade that I can see is the 6.8" screen.

The existing devices are incredibly good at what they do. My wishlist would be for them to continue to reduce the weight, and I'd prefer a wide bezel on one side vis-a-vis the Oasis, or something more ergonomic. Easier to hold one handed.

It's nit picking though, the Paperwhite Kindles are a modern marvel. It's like someone stuffed a massive library into one small book that you can comfortably read in the dark. And in the bath. And the amount of free and cheap content was a great surprise.

After dropping my Kindle Keyboard in the toilet I looked around and decided a used Kindle keyboard was all I needed. Less is more for me. Though if someone gave me a Onyx Poke 3 I would probably drop my used Kindle Keyboard in the toilet. Looks real nice

After dropping my Kindle Keyboard in the toilet I looked around and decided a used Kindle keyboard was all I needed. Less is more for me. Though if someone gave me a Onyx Poke 3 I would probably drop my used Kindle Keyboard in the toilet. Looks real nice
I don't own one but a quick look on the web shows multiple bad reviews for the Onyx for both hardware reliability and after market service.

Competitors are already releasing or close to releasing color e-ink devices and apparently it works reasonably well, so it makes sense that the "Oasis" level features would now be found in the regular paper white as they might bump up the Oasis to actually be color e-ink given the aforementioned trends

I've been reading about colour e-ink displays for 20 years as being just around the corner. Freaking large corner.

I've been reading about colour e-ink displays for 20 years as being just around the corner. Freaking large corner.
I know that's true but you can actually order something like the Boox Nova 3 Color right now off Amazon it's been out for a while now.

So while I understand the skepticism, things are a little more far along if we already have first generation color e-ink products.

Personally I don't care either way about USB-C. The slightly larger screen might be nice but form factor is important in an ereader and I like the current paperwhite size. I am surprised though that Amazon doesn't allow users to use kindles for ewriting. I'd also like to see more use of the browser so users could run packaged JavaScript programs as if they were dedicated applications - that combined with low bandwidth whispernet could be interesting.

It's rare to see a firm leak its own unannounced products, but it appears that Amazon recently leaked two new Kindle Paperwhite e-readers.
Spec comparison charts are a common feature of Amazon's product listings, according to GoodEReader. Amazon's Canadian and Mexican websites used to display a chart showing a new model of the Kindle Paperwhite as well as an exclusive edition of the Kindle Paperwhite when you went to the page for either the Kindle Basic or Kindle Oasis. As soon as Amazon realized its blunder, it immediately withdrew the information.

I really wish the Kindle would bring the night light / comfortlight feature to things below the Oasis. Specifically talking about the yellowing of the lights. The cheapest Kobo ereaders include it, but for some reason Amazon keeps it for the Oasis only.

I don't own one but a quick look on the web shows multiple bad reviews for the Onyx for both hardware reliability and after market service.
I do own one and personally find it to be fine as an ereader so far. I've only had it for about 6 months though. We'll see how it lasts, I will definitely agree that the after market support will be much worse than Amazon. I think support is China based anyways, so most likely if it has issues you're limited to forum help or mailing it out for weeks to maybe get it back fixed.

For what it's worth, regarding the device itself, I think the ability to run all my reading apps (since it's just Android based) is a real game changer (pardon the buzzwords). I've got Libby for the library books, Play Books for all the books I've purchased with Google Opinion Rewards money, Kindle for the amazon books, and KOReader for all the epubs I've independently purchased from authors. That's impossible to do on a Kindle without using Calibre on a desktop, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

And some good ones. Bad reviews are rampant and good ones are as well. It all goes back to making myself responsible.

The feature I would really like to see is a more easily replaced battery. Unlike Amazon's Fire tablets, the Kindle e-readers are extremely difficult to work on.

I really wish the Kindle would bring the night light / comfortlight feature to things below the Oasis. Specifically talking about the yellowing of the lights. The cheapest Kobo ereaders include it, but for some reason Amazon keeps it for the Oasis only.
Looks like they heard you: https://www.amazon.com/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B08KTZ8249

And also, USB-C!

Looks like it's .3" wider, .3" taller and .02" thicker. Also seems to have better hardware inside. Seems to only be 23g heavier too.

That's all really good news! Actually feels like an upgrade to a product series that has stagnated for years while they try to push the Oasis.

Back