Amazon acquires Killer Instinct developer Double Helix

Justin Kahn

Amazon has acquired game development studio Double Helix, according to news leaked from an invitation to a recruiting event in LA next week. Double Helix is an Irvine, California based game development studio originally founded in 2007 and has since been responsible for titles like the new Xbox One Killer Instinct game, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Front Mission Evolved, and most recently the Strider reboot set to launch later this month.

Amazon launched a social gaming division back in 2012 and has since been rumored to have a sub $300 Android gaming console in the works to compete directly with Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. The company has released a few social/casual titles since then, but Double Helix certainly adds both some higher caliber talent to Amazon's gaming portfolio and fuels the massive online retailer's console rumors.

Double Helix and its 75 employees will now be Amazon employees, but continue to work out of its Orange County headquarters. The company came together in 2007 when The Collective, Inc. and Shiny Entertainment merged to form the new studio. Separately the teams were previously responsible for titles like Earthworm Jim, Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb, and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

“Amazon has acquired Double Helix as part of our ongoing commitment to build innovative games for customers," Amazon said regarding the acquisition. The company also says that it will continue to support Double Helix's current games on top of future development projects.

Permalink to story.

Amazon better not mess with them on Killer Instinct or holding back the game in any way. I really like this fighter series and want it back into the full on spotlight.

Damn, I wonder who could possibly help Microsoft develop Killer Instinct now that Double Helix is gone. Developers are so Rare these days.

Damn, I wonder who could possibly help Microsoft develop Killer Instinct now that Double Helix is gone. Developers are so Rare these days.
The way it sounds is Double Helix is still going to be developing and working on the game. Microsoft Game Studios Funded and help them with it but just because Amazon now owns the game does not mean its just going to stop. The game mechanics are really fun and developed well which is funny because its one of the few fighting games I really enjoy playing. I can't wait for March when the character Story lines come out and Fulgore is available.

Back