Amazon added more subscribers on Prime Day 2017 than on any single day in history

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Amazon on Tuesday hosted its third annual Prime Day, a massive shopping event exclusively for members of its Prime subscription service. The company said sales on July 11 surpassed Black Friday and Cyber Monday en route to becoming the biggest day ever in Amazon history.

Amazon hosted its first summer shopping “holiday” in 2015 to commemorate the company’s 20th anniversary. The inaugural event was a bit of a letdown largely due to the bizarre collection of products placed on sale but Amazon redeemed itself in 2016 with a far better showing.

This year’s Prime Day was “too big for 24 hours” so Amazon gave members 30 hours to shop. The results?

Amazon says this year’s event grew by more than 60 percent compared to the same 30 hours last year (that comparison seems a bit unfair considering last year’s Prime Day didn’t span 30 hours).

Also of note is the fact that more new members joined Prime yesterday than on any single day in Amazon’s history (although again, this could be marketing hype as we don’t know how many shoppers utilized a free trial to join). Nevertheless, Amazon says that tens of millions of members made a purchase on Prime Day 2017 – more than 50 percent higher than last year.

Unsurprisingly, Amazon’s own Echo Dot was the most popular item of the day. The Element 55-inch 4K TV with built-in Amazon Fire hub was the best-selling TV deal in Amazon history. Other top sellers included the Instant Pot pressure cooker, TP-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug, SanDisk’s Ultra Fit 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive, the OnePlus 5 smartphone and Seagate’s 1.5TB portable external hard drive.

Did you pick up anything particularly interesting on Prime Day? If so, let us know in the comments section below. I grabbed an over-ear gaming headset and a set of neoprene cable management sleeves – exciting, right?

Permalink to story.

Added Hue (got the start kit + 3 extra bulbs) to my smart home. Looking forward to setting up later today :)

I actually broke down and bought a pair of those Intercept Computer Gaming Glasses. They were something like 40% off and although they sure look gimmicky, they've also received a lot of good reviews too. So the 40% was enough for me to pull the trigger on it.

Wow! A Lot of SUCKERS joining the Amazon Prime un-deal membership! Come on people really???
You might order 1 or 2 more things this years from Amazon, what do you get out if for your $99 yearly membership??
I looked through the "So called" deals before the sale began. Very very Un-impressed! There was hardly anything that caught my eye or interest! All I seen was a lot of JUNK! But hey, the way some people are when they see the word "SALE"!
Way too funny!

Wow! A Lot of SUCKERS joining the Amazon Prime un-deal membership! Come on people really???
You might order 1 or 2 more things this years from Amazon, what do you get out if for your $99 yearly membership??
I looked through the "So called" deals before the sale began. Very very Un-impressed! There was hardly anything that caught my eye or interest! All I seen was a lot of JUNK! But hey, the way some people are when they see the word "SALE"!
Way too funny!

You're assuming a lot. I can assure you I order "more than one or two" things a year to get the free shipping/2-day delivery and pretty sure there are millions of others around the world that do the same. And all it takes is to order one item that weighs over 50lbs (not hard to do) and you've already saved the $99 in shipping costs. Not to mention the discounted pricing you get. It may be lost on you, but there are a lot of brick and mortar stores closing up because they can't compete with Amazon pricing and customer service. Lastly, you have the Amazon Prime movie and music options you get with the membership.

Just because you didn't see something you didn't like, doesn't mean that applies to everyone. You sound just like a whining millennial because IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU and YOU'RE SMARTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

Way too funny!

You're assuming a lot. I can assure you I order "more than one or two" things a year to get the free shipping/2-day delivery and pretty sure there are millions of others around the world that do the same. And all it takes is to order one item that weighs over 50lbs (not hard to do) and you've already saved the $99 in shipping costs. Not to mention the discounted pricing you get. It may be lost on you, but there are a lot of brick and mortar stores closing up because they can't compete with Amazon pricing and customer service. Lastly, you have the Amazon Prime movie and music options you get with the membership.

Just because you didn't see something you didn't like, doesn't mean that applies to everyone. You sound just like a whining millennial because IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU and YOU'RE SMARTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

TBH, I'm pretty sure the shipping cost is also put into the price of what you are buying, spread out. At least, some items I see for Prime deals, are cheaper else where with very low or free shipping costs still. Unfortunately I don't have any examples at the moment.

I would agree, that guy doesn't really get the point.

I'm also a Prime member.

Way too funny!

TBH, I'm pretty sure the shipping cost is also put into the price of what you are buying, spread out. At least, some items I see for Prime deals, are cheaper else where with very low or free shipping costs still. Unfortunately I don't have any examples at the moment.

I would agree, that guy doesn't really get the point.

I'm also a Prime member.
I would not be surprised to learn that amazon does spread out the shipping costs they incur over the selling price of the items that they sell. Because amazon is an elephant in a match box, amazon almost certainly gets discounts on shipping from their shipper, and amazon does not always have the best deals. For instance, check out B&H Photo sometime and compare them against amazon.

B & H, in some cases, has free expedited shipping on items over $50. I don't order enough from amazon each year to justify prime membership, and every time I order something that is "prime eligible" and buy over $25.00 worth of stuff, my order sits at amazon for approximately a week or more before it ships. I view this as amazon trying to coerce me to join prime; however, for a similar price at B & H, I can order an item with free or free expedited shipping and it ships either the same or the next day and I have it in my hands before amazon would have shipped it.

While I do not necessarily agree with the OP's tone, I am in that category of don't buy enough to justify the cost, don't listen to enough amazon music, and don't watch enough amazon TV. Plus, I do not like amazon's business practices. I do everything possible to shop elsewhere, but sometimes, I bite the bullet and I am reminded of how crappy their service is if you are not a prime member.

Way too funny!

I think we ordered over 300 items from Amazon last year, including multiple items over $250. We also use the video streaming, and photo storage, and the music is almost as good as Spotify.

Way too funny!

LOL. Prime is one of the best membership around. It has amazon video, twitch, unlimited photos, etc. If that dont work with you then enjoy your trip to walmart.

In our case of Prime day, of course there will be a lot of junk but there were gems but too bad you dont know about how to spot gems for sure. There were price errors, double stacking coupons, double price error, etc.

I'll start off by saying I'm a pretty big Amazon customer, again. And I'd just like to point out something...

There were price errors, double stacking coupons, double price error, etc.

Does not mean...

LOL. Prime is one of the best membership around...

"Gems" in the eyes of the beholder. And you are taking advantage of things that happen all over all retailers in the world.

I think we ordered over 300 items from Amazon last year, including multiple items over $250. We also use the video streaming, and photo storage, and the music is almost as good as Spotify.
Exactly my point! Unless you're a power shopper, Prime just isn't worth it! Works for you, if you're purchasing almost every day!

Exactly my point! Unless you're a power shopper, Prime just isn't worth it! Works for you, if you're purchasing almost every day!

Too bad your message conveyed a different point in your previous post. What I believe is even if you are not a power shopper, the perks alone (twitch, prime video, two day shipping especially with heavy items such as UPS or furniture, exclusive deals, unlimited photo storage) is worth it compared to other membership. Do the math.

Too bad your message conveyed a different point in your previous post. What I believe is even if you are not a power shopper, the perks alone (twitch, prime video, two day shipping especially with heavy items such as UPS or furniture, exclusive deals, unlimited photo storage) is worth it compared to other membership. Do the math.

Didn't think I would have to explain myself. But.... Here goes......

The average shopper probably doesn't power shop. Amazon knows this. They're in the business to make money. Do you think they started Prime to give everyone great deals? It's another way to line the pockets of the share holders.

Do you think Planet Fitness is a great deal for $10 a month? Yes, if you go to the Gym.

The money lost to power shoppers is more than made up by the casual (sucker) shopper who purchased Prime!

Hope that better explains it.

Back