Amazon cancels Crucible, its short-lived free multiplayer shooter

Joe White

What just happened? It’s official – Amazon’s Crucible, the free-to-play multiplayer shooter that launched in May following years of development, has been cancelled after poor reviews, a near absence of players, and a return to closed beta.

Crucible launched on Steam back in May and promised users a team-based, third-person, sci-fi shooter which would be free-to-play. At face value, Crucible appeared to be interesting, with its diverse environments and hero-based gameplay. But things quickly went downhill: player numbers dropped and Crucible returned to closed beta in July.

Now, the Crucible team have confirmed that they're pulling the plug. They said, “We very much appreciate the way that our fans have rallied around our efforts, and we’ve loved seeing your responses to the changes we’ve made over the last few months, but ultimately we didn’t see a healthy, sustainable future ahead [for] Crucible.”

The game will remain playable ahead of a final celebration in the coming weeks, after which matchmaking will be disabled. Custom games, which are due to be added soon, will remain active until November 9. After that, however, it’ll be lights-out.

Crucible’s developers are expected to move to other Amazon Games, like New World, the impressive-looking (but delayed) MMORPG which is now due to launch in early 2021.

Permalink to story.

Now they can put up a multiplayer for free by changing it use other mp servers. and coop enable up to 16 player offline. good games gets pawned.make it SP and mp.

Even the original Overwatch is struggling.

That's because Blizzard turned overwatch into call of duty. The current state of the game lacks anything that made the game popular in the first place. "Tank" is now a misnomer given all the tanks that are useful in the current meta don't do what that term implies. A DPS hero with a large health pool is not a tank. If you are support your Job is to survive as long as possible in a completely open area with no shields while the super mobile snipers, DPS, and one shot heroes in the game bear down on you.

I was a diamond Tank in competitive in the game and simply stopped playing. The lack of coordination in the game ever since they went on a shield nerfing spree makes it feel like I'm playing COD and I hate COD. I miss the earlier seasons of overwatch.

I guess that's what happens when you throw money at a quick "Overwatch clone" in an already saturated market.

Exactly. The market is saturated, putting out another similar title isn't going to do it.

A DPS hero with a large health pool is not a tank.

Actually, that's the exact definition of a Tank. You're thinking of a Wall: a hero with a large health pool and CC/Kiting tools but limited DPS.

The problem is Tanks in Overwatch have all the tools of Walls, having both CC and DPS, making them completely overpowered. Throw in heroes with insane levels of single/multi healing (Mercy/Lucio) and you're guaranteed a very slow meta.

Actually, that's the exact definition of a Tank. You're thinking of a Wall: a hero with a large health pool and CC/Kiting tools but limited DPS.

The problem is Tanks in Overwatch have all the tools of Walls, having both CC and DPS, making them completely overpowered. Throw in heroes with insane levels of single/multi healing (Mercy/Lucio) and you're guaranteed a very slow meta.

No, what you call a "wall" (which just sounds like arbitrary BS) is the definition of a tank: https://www.wowhead.com/tanking-guide

Tanking includes CC / Kiting / Space making abilities paired with low damage output or abilities designed at drawing aggro.

Many MMOs are designed around the three distinct DPS / Healer / Tanks roles that WoW innovated a long time ago. The same applies to overwatch.

FYI mercy's healing is single target only and it isn't even the best at that either. Mercy is picked for rez and damage boost, not for her middle of the pack single target healing. No idea why you mentioned lucio at all, his healing is bottom of the pack and while he can heal in an area around him, he has to be close to his team to do so, which limits his mobility (which is a big part of hit kit). Teams pick lucio because he can allow the team to engage and disengange with his speed boost, not because his bottom of the pack healing.

Most people think of Moira, Baptise, and ana when they think of OP healers. They all have higher healing output then the two you mentioned and they have greater utility to boot.

It sounds to me like you want to play COD. All tanks are overpowererd? Have you see the current meta? Main tanks aren't even in the current meta. People who queue up as tank play off tanks.

I was a diamond Tank in competitive in the game and simply stopped playing.
I was a Diamond Healer and Tank and Platinum DPS, I stopped playing a while ago now, I jump in every couple of months for a few quick matches to see if anything has improved... It hasn't...

Real shame as when Overwatch first released and the following couple of years I played it to what could almost be describe as an addiction.

That's because Blizzard turned overwatch into call of duty. The current state of the game lacks anything that made the game popular in the first place. "Tank" is now a misnomer given all the tanks that are useful in the current meta don't do what that term implies. A DPS hero with a large health pool is not a tank. If you are support your Job is to survive as long as possible in a completely open area with no shields while the super mobile snipers, DPS, and one shot heroes in the game bear down on you.

I was a diamond Tank in competitive in the game and simply stopped playing. The lack of coordination in the game ever since they went on a shield nerfing spree makes it feel like I'm playing COD and I hate COD. I miss the earlier seasons of overwatch.
Any game with different champions all with different skills pretty much guarantees balance issues. Add items into the mix and then champions that scale well will get in the meta, rest are waiting for reworks or item changes. I feel like Overwatch was doomed from the beginning and I'm actually ashamed to have bought it. It's mostly populated by those weebs and weirdos that masturbate to animated girls.

Any game with different champions all with different skills pretty much guarantees balance issues. Add items into the mix and then champions that scale well will get in the meta, rest are waiting for reworks or item changes. I feel like Overwatch was doomed from the beginning and I'm actually ashamed to have bought it. It's mostly populated by those weebs and weirdos that masturbate to animated girls.

Balance issues are one thing but I'm talking about the feeling of the entire game shifting. It doesn't really play much like overwatch did in the first few seasons (let's say 1 - 7).

if you want to play something with sense , try Rising Storm 2 Vietnam.

Back