Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is the world's wealthiest person for the third year in a row

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: Perhaps even more interesting are the overall metrics associated with the world’s billionaires. Covid-19 has taken a toll on global equity markets, wiping out massive fortunes in just a matter of weeks.

Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has topped Forbes’ annual list of the wealthiest people in the world for the third year in a row, even after giving ex-wife MacKenzie Bezos $36 billion worth of Amazon stock as part of their divorce settlement.

Forbes calculated Bezos’ net worth at $113 billion when its list was finalized on March 18.

Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates took the silver medal with a net worth of $98 billion. Other high-ranking tech titans include Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison at five with a net worth of $59 billion, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg at number seven with $54.6 billion and former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer at the 11 spot with a net worth of $52.7 billion.

Forbes counted 2,095 billionaires which is 58 fewer than last year and 226 fewer than just 12 days earlier when the list was originally compiled. Of those that made the cut, 51 percent are poorer than they were last year. Their collective net worth has fallen by about $700 billion since 2019.

Had the list been calculated today, or even in an alternate timeline where the Coronavirus didn’t happen, it might have looked vastly different than it actually does.

Image credit: leungchopan

Permalink to story.

Putting a "wealthy" tag on someone by stock number... is that accurate? If they put all of their stock on the market at once, will they really sell at that price? My guess is it would take a nosedive to a fraction of the price.

I will also add that prices on amazon are higher than about anywhere else. Many things I've shopped for are 50+% higher on amazon than other places. It's crazy.

Congratulations to all those who helped him by buying from Amazon.

I think for some people, not buying from Amazon isn't an option. Local stores don't carry anywhere near the variety. Not even walmart, best buy, and eBay combined have the variety Amazon has. That said, Amazon has been getting flooded with cheap Chinese junk as of late. Sometimes too much is a bad thing.

I don't know if I would use the term "poorer" with billionaires. Maybe "less wealthy" instead?

Putting a "wealthy" tag on someone by stock number... is that accurate? If they put all of their stock on the market at once, will they really sell at that price? My guess is it would take a nosedive to a fraction of the price.

Bezos could probably borrow billions of dollars against his holdings, no trouble at all, without moving the price.

And in some cases people sell large blocks of stock off market and often at higher than the market price, possibly because they're delivering a major controlling or voting bloc to the buyer in one transaction.

Bald turd on a stick. I absolutely hate Jeffie. Treats his workers like crap. Cheated on his wife. Bought whole foods and botched running it. If the stock ever tanks he will drown in bad business dealings. AWS is the only money maker. Coupled with stock price. Bald freaking turd.

That would be more effective with a ceiling on earnings.

No one needs nor do they deserve 100x or more than minimum wage. Anyone that thinks they are, is simply pissing on those under them.

Who are you to decide what someone is worth especially the founder. A cap on salary is simple government over reach and will impact the economy.

Who are you to decide what someone is worth especially the founder.
I'm not the one that made a decision here.

God's word is very clear in telling us that all men are created equal and every single person can be a child of God, receiving the full inheritance of heaven. We can look toward the Bible to learn how to love and serve everyone no matter what their age, color, or ethnicity, gender or nationality.

All Men Are Created Equal
The quotation "all men are created equal" is part of the U.S. Declaration of Independence, which Thomas Jefferson penned in 1776 during the beginning of the American Revolution. The phrase was present in Jefferson's original draft of the declaration. It was thereafter quoted and incorporated into speeches by a wide array of substantial figures in American political and social life in the United States. The final form of the phrase was stylized by Benjamin Franklin. It has been called an "immortal declaration", and "perhaps [the] single phrase" of the American Revolutionary period with the greatest "continuing importance."

Do you want to try sticking something else on me? Your desire to be rich yourself is clouding your judgement and giving you the superiority complex.

I'm not the one that made a decision here.

Do you want to try sticking something else on me? Your desire to be rich yourself is clouding your judgement and giving you the superiority complex.

Created equal, not all men are always equal. Take the parable of the 3 servants. 2 where elevated to further riches because they where good stewards and one was made poor because he was a poor steward

Take the parable of the 3 servants. 2 where elevated to further riches because they where good stewards and one was made poor because he was a poor steward
I would likely have a different attitude toward this subject, if that was today's reality.

That would be more effective with a ceiling on earnings.

No one needs nor do they deserve 100x or more than minimum wage. Anyone that thinks they are, is simply pissing on those under them.
Do you think he has 113 billion dollars in cash? That number is the sum of his assets. He has lead a company that has grown immensely over the years and employs thousands of people. If he sold it all, closed the doors and banked 113 billion to spend only on himself, would that make him a better or worse person?

Don't know if it ends the discussion or starts another one:

Overall, the links say his ex got 4% of Amazon. Whether she pays no taxes on that like Amazon I didn't check.

From Quora
According to the Bloomberg Billioniare Index, Jeff Bezos has about $2,680,000,000 (2.68 Billion) dollars in cash! He has a net worth of $126,000,000,000 (126 Billion) which is mostly tied up in his Amazon stock holdings! link: Bloomberg Billionaires Index All of this info written as of 2/7/2020.

I went to the Bloomberg link and it doesn't make that statement directly. But as the song says:

Top coat, top hat,
And I don't worry coz my wallet's fat.
Black shades, white gloves,
Lookin' sharp lookin' for love.
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Do you think he has 113 billion dollars in cash? That number is the sum of his assets. He has lead a company that has grown immensely over the years and employs thousands of people.
You are only strengthening my argument. As if all those people under him didn't help him get those assetts.

You are only strengthening my argument. As if all those people under him didn't help him get those assetts.
All those people worked for a paycheck, and received one. There are people in this world that will take large sums of money and simply waste it all away and there are those who will invest it and build upon something like a business that will thrive and employ many people. But, You didn't answer my question. Would he be a better or worse person if he chose to sale it all and keep the money only for himself? I believe in personal property and the pursuit of happiness. I can promise you, he didn't get what he has by blaming wealthy people for the things he didn't have. Personally, I'm not a fan of Amazon's abundance of Chinese sellers peddling cheap Chinese junk, but that's for another day.

Last edited:
Back