Amazon could soon start selling its own private-label food products

midian182

Staff member

Amazon already sells a wide range of self-branded goods, such as electronic items, clothes, and baby wipes, but the online retail giant is set to expand this selection over the coming weeks to include more perishable food and non-perishable household items.

According to a report by the Wall Street Journal, Amazon will launch “new brands with names like Happy Belly, Wickedly Prime and Mama Bear will include nuts, spices, tea, coffee, baby food and vitamins, as well as household items such as diapers and laundry detergents.”

There’s no word on how much these new goods will cost. They’re said to be rolling out at the end of this month or early June, and the items will only be available to those who subscribe to Amazon’s $99 per year Prime subscription service – at least initially - which could indicate that they’ll be competitively priced.

As noted by VentureBeat, Amazon does deliver groceries through its AmazonFresh service, but this new range of goods could be even cheaper than the major brands. Prime members can also use Amazon’s Prime Now same-day delivery service on the mobile app or dedicated website to order takeout food from certain restaurants.

Amazon’s experiments in own-branded products haven’t always yielded success. In 2014, the company had to recall its Elements diapers due to a design flaw, and the Amazon Fire phone was a high-profile flop for the firm.

Should the new goods prove popular, don’t be surprised to see Amazon expand its range of private-label items.

Permalink to story.

Who cares about the brand name? Certainly not me. Just as long as it's as good as, and cheaper than the branded product, I'll buy it instead of that branded product.

I haven't been terribly impressed with Prime and will be dropping it .... I'm simply not willing to pay for the "privilege" of shopping on anyone's site, in fact I think they should be paying ME $100 per year for the privilege of having me as their customer.

Look at how happy is she shopping with amazon prime. Maybe if I start shopping with amazon prime I can be that happy too!

Look at how happy is she shopping with amazon prime. Maybe if I start shopping with amazon prime I can be that happy too!

Was watching a streamer on Twitch last week. Purchased a brand new copy of DOOM and it was delivered to his house in 4 hrs.

He paid $24.

Prime makes dreams come true.

Back