Amazon, others to use new color E-ink displays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Prime View International (PVI) showed 6 and 9.7-inch color E-ink prototypes at a trade show in China this week, and they could make their way into e-readers later this year. The company reportedly demoed the smaller display with an animated clip of blue and red racecars driving on a track, but said its refresh is too slow for real video playback.

PVI has shown its new color screens to partners such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble, but the company won't say whether either plan to use the technology. It's worth mentioning that the displays are outfitted with an extra layer of color filtering glass, which would probably adversely affect battery life compared to monochrome solutions, if only a little bit.

The company expects to begin mass production in the fourth quarter of this year. There's no word on when the color E-ink screens might appear in products, but late 2010 or early 2011 seems like a safe bet.

Permalink to story.

Very neat. I would love to see color e-ink in action. Between this, tablets, netbooks, etc. the lines are getting blurry as to the differences.

I have followed this screens for quite a while, can't wait to see them in netbooks for extra battery life, along with dual core atoms.

For me, the LCD display looks old and the case itself. But looks like it has something more to do, hope so...

I'd think Amazon and Barnes & Noble are looking towards something more then what they have since the tablet competition is clearly superior and consumers might want that.

This is going to be an interesting year, with this and the other low power sunlight visible displays.

@"Looks like someone's re-invented the passive matrix LCD display" -- e-ink is active matrix.

Kibaruk said:
I have followed this screens for quite a while, can't wait to see them in netbooks for extra battery life, along with dual core atoms.

Yeah, but if i get a dual core it is because i am going to be doing something multimedia intensive, which so far these screens don't look that great for. For low powered reading/display devices they look great, but not so much for a general purpose computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back