Amazon turned in another stellar performance this holiday season

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Amazon on Thursday said customers shopped at “record levels,” ordering billions of items worldwide during the holidays. That's great news for the retailer and investors alike but the magic isn't over just yet as there are plenty of gift cards to be redeemed and cash to be spent in the coming weeks.

Despite lingering privacy concerns regarding personal voice assistants, consumers scooped up compatible devices in droves. The Echo Show 5, Echo Auto and Echo Dot were once again hot commodities with shoppers buying “millions more” devices this year compared to the 2018 holiday season.

Unsurprisingly, Amazon still leads the pack with regard to personal assistant marketshare.

Independent third-party sellers also got in on the action as unit sales worldwide saw double-digit growth year-over-year, Amazon said. In total, more than a billion items were sold in Amazon’s Stores this season.

Packages got to buyers faster, too. The e-commerce giant on Thursday revealed that during the holiday season, the number of items delivered via Prime Free One-Day and Prime Free Same-Day Delivery nearly quadrupled compared to the same period a year ago. Use of Amazon Hub locations is also up year-over-year as 60 percent more customers had an order shipped to a pickup point this year.

While most consider the holiday season to officially be over, that’s not really the case. There are tons of gift cards and cash that’ll be redeemed and spent with Amazon in the coming weeks, pushing sales even higher. And if you need to make a return, fret not, as Amazon recently expanded its free return policy through December 31, 2019.

Permalink to story.

Amazon AU are an effing joke, dearest prices in Australia and about 1% of the products listed on US store. Promised to destroy the local industry with it’s great prices, instead turned out to be the joke of the decade. They also banned us from buying from US store, and it was such a disaster they had to overturn that after 6 months. Haven’t bought from them in 2 years.

What about Wal-Mart. It where I do as much online shopping as possible. Their boxes are better then Amazon's and they use Fedex.

Amazon AU are an effing joke, dearest prices in Australia and about 1% of the products listed on US store. Promised to destroy the local industry with it’s great prices, instead turned out to be the joke of the decade. They also banned us from buying from US store, and it was such a disaster they had to overturn that after 6 months. Haven’t bought from them in 2 years.
Is it Amazon of the AU Government. I don't know

There are a few features of Amazon I like, especially the one that shows where your package is and how many stops away it is, but I wish they would extend it to the entire route .....

I try my best not to buy from them, but a few things are only sold through them. Most likely it's rigged that way. I'm at about two orders a year since they started stealing sales tax when they don't have an entity in my state. Their loss. Not to mention even on a prime trial they would wait a week to even put my order in a box, then another week for delivery... I ordered a small bottle of superglue. The amazon shipping status says "check with retailer" even when it's via "amazon shipping". Ordered over a week ago. I call BS on this "stellar performance" report.

I've been wondering if Amazon sells factory seconds for some products. I also don't like all the Chinese products that look the same but have different (and weird) brand names while flooding the search results sometimes.

Back