Amazon's new Fire HD 10 tablet gets 1080p display, hands-free Alexa

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Amazon on Tuesday added a new tablet to its ever-expanding stable of hardware.

The Fire HD 10 features a 10.1-inch, 1080p (1,920 x 1,200, 224 PPI) widescreen display and up to 64GB of local storage that’s expandable via microSD card slot (supports up to 256GB). Driven by a 1.8GHz quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM, Amazon says the slate is 30 percent faster than its predecessor.

The tablet also features dual speakers with Dolby Atmos support, dual-band 802.11 ac Wi-Fi, front and rear-facing cameras and up to 10 hours of mixed-use battery life.

Notably, it’s Amazon’s first Fire tablet to feature hands-free Alexa. That means you can simply use your voice to ask Alexa to play a song, pause a movie, read an audiobook aloud, show your calendar, control your smart home, answer questions and more.

Leaked images from earlier this month suggest Amazon is also working on a pair of new Fire TV media streamers, one of which will double as an Echo with built-in Alexa. The leaker claims both will support 4K HDR video at up to 60 fps.

Amazon’s Fire HD 10 is available to pre-order from today starting at $149.99. It ships on October 11 in your choice of red, blue or black color schemes. An optional protective cover will set you back an additional $39.99.

Permalink to story.

Haven't touched the Kindles (or tablets in general) for quite some time, but this looks nice enough. $150 ain't bad. But I'm open to alternate suggestions.

They had offered kindles similar to this years ago, my partner has the Kindle HD 7 with a 1080p screen and Snapdragon 800, before they started hitting the cheaper market.
It's a shame FireOS is so crap because they are decent alternatives.

I remember problems with pdf so I bought an Android device a few years ago because I have a lot of tech documentation in pdf format. Also some other restrictions didn't look nice. But the price is good.

They had offered kindles similar to this years ago, my partner has the Kindle HD 7 with a 1080p screen and Snapdragon 800, before they started hitting the cheaper market.
It's a shame FireOS is so crap because they are decent alternatives.

It's easy enough to mod it to run Google play, which means you can install a launcher like Nova on top of it. Don't even need to root.

Back