AMC comes to its senses, will not allow texting in theaters after all

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Earlier this week, AMC Theaters president Adam Aron said his company was considering allowing moviegoers to use their smartphones in its theaters… while the movie plays. Seriously, what kind of lamebrain idea is that?

Unsurprisingly, both Aron and AMC received a ton of backlash from the public – so much, in fact, that the idea has been “sent to the cutting room floor.”

In a statement published Friday on Twitter, Aron said they heard loud and clear that the concept of texting in its theaters is something moviegoers do not want. As such, there will be no texting allowed in any of the auditoriums at AMC Theaters. Not today, not tomorrow and not in the foreseeable future, he added.

The executive said AMC will instead focus on other ideas to delight and entertain guests. Over the next few years, the theater chain plans to invest more than $1 billion to enhance its offerings – money that’ll be used to add additional large screens and more comfortable seating (think recliners) as well as new food and beverage offerings.

In fairness, AMC should perhaps be commended for trying to think outside the box. The idea behind allowing texting was to try and get more millennials into its theaters although personally, I believe the issue of declining movie attendance isn’t directly related to smartphone bans but rather, overall cultural changes.

Image courtesy wavebreakmedia, ShutterStock

Permalink to story.

I received that same message today in an email from AMC. They didn't waste too much time backing off from that trial balloon.

If people had any common sense, well, it wouldnt be a problem to begin with because you'd know to put your phone on silent. Why did it ever become a problem in the first place? Only think I can see is that the sounds of getting a call or text would annoy other movie viewers. I've used my phone in the theater... why the F*** would anyone care if I'm not watching the movie? I paid, I can do whatever I want (public acceptably) while I'm in the theater. Do they ban sleeping? "Sir, you've fallen asleep, you have to get out of the theater now!" lol I dont see why allowing people to use their phones would be such a big deal, if they just had any common sense. Which most of us (or them) I really dont know if I'm actually considered a millennial or not, dont seem to have. If you can follow my poor grammar. lmao On a second point. I definitely think its more of a cultural move. I'd definitely rather sit comfortably in my own home, on my phone, making all the noise I want, while pausing and B*tching about poor plot lines during the movie any time I want. lol I can definitely wait till movies come out to bluray/DVD. I dont give a **** about seeing most of them on a big screen, but then again, that might just show my age, too. Sorry for the run-on sentences and poor grammar. lol

Are you guys kidding? No one wants to see the light from your phone at the corner of their eyes you dummies. Leave it at home. How is that even common sense?

If people had any common sense, well, it wouldnt be a problem to begin with because you'd know to put your phone on silent. Why did it ever become a problem in the first place? Only think I can see is that the sounds of getting a call or text would annoy other movie viewers. I've used my phone in the theater... why the F*** would anyone care if I'm not watching the movie? I paid, I can do whatever I want (public acceptably) while I'm in the theater. Do they ban sleeping? "Sir, you've fallen asleep, you have to get out of the theater now!" lol I dont see why allowing people to use their phones would be such a big deal, if they just had any common sense. Which most of us (or them) I really dont know if I'm actually considered a millennial or not, dont seem to have. If you can follow my poor grammar. lmao On a second point. I definitely think its more of a cultural move. I'd definitely rather sit comfortably in my own home, on my phone, making all the noise I want, while pausing and B*tching about poor plot lines during the movie any time I want. lol I can definitely wait till movies come out to bluray/DVD. I dont give a **** about seeing most of them on a big screen, but then again, that might just show my age, too. Sorry for the run-on sentences and poor grammar. lol
Because a bright light in a dark room is annoying and distracting. You falling asleep will not distract or disrupt the movie (unless you snore) but you having your bright cell phone on in a dark room WILL disrupt the movie for others.

Curious thing, and this shows how everything is cultural. In my country there is no restriction on using your smartphone on the theater, you can text or even answer a phone call. But in the many times I've gone to the movies I have see really too phew people using it, if they do it, it's for really short times, so short that I actually don't mind.

Because a bright light in a dark room is annoying and distracting. You falling asleep will not distract or disrupt the movie (unless you snore) but you having your bright cell phone on in a dark room WILL disrupt the movie for others.
My cell phone, and most modern smart phones have an auto dim feature... as well as being able to set this manually. This goes along the same lines of muting your phone, or turning it on vibrate, though there is no auto feature for that, so your argument is invalid. I'm sorry.

Curious thing, and this shows how everything is cultural. In my country there is no restriction on using your smartphone on the theater, you can text or even answer a phone call. But in the many times I've gone to the movies I have see really too phew people using it, if they do it, it's for really short times, so short that I actually don't mind.

I'm a little curious where you are from. Didn't say on your profile, or so I saw anyways.

If people had any common sense, well, it wouldnt be a problem to begin with because you'd know to put your phone on silent. Why did it ever become a problem in the first place?.............. I dont see why allowing people to use their phones would be such a big deal, if they just had any common sense.
because too many people have proven over and over that they are inconsiderate who have their phone 'ring' with loud music, talk like they are trying to audibly reach over the miles to the person on the other end of the call, some get up and leave the theatre all the time yapping like this, have it as bright as it can go..well, you get the idea. If using the phone happened seldom, was used discreetly it would be no problem.

because too many people have proven over and over that they are inconsiderate who have their phone 'ring' with loud music, talk like they are trying to audibly reach over the miles to the person on the other end of the call, some get up and leave the theatre all the time yapping like this, have it as bright as it can go..well, you get the idea. If using the phone happened seldom, was used discreetly it would be no problem.

Yes, right. I think that's basically part of the point I was making. Lol

I did not pay $8 to be distracted by your screen. Even a dimly lit screen is a distraction and takes away from the experience. Stop trying to excuse your lack of respect for those around you. Grow up. Why is it so hard for people to sit through a movie without taking out their dang phones? Your text is not important. It can wait. If you can't learn to respect the other movie goers, stay out of the theater. If you want to text and talk, do it at home. Why is it so hard to not look at your phone for the next two hours?

Do I stayed glued to my phone? Absolutely. But if I'm having dinner with the family, hanging out with friends, standing in the checkout line at the grocery store, or sitting in a theater, I don't so much as touch my phone. It's disrespectful to those around me. Respect...something a majority of people lack these days.

You sound like the worst person to watch a film with!

My cell phone, and most modern smart phones have an auto dim feature... as well as being able to set this manually. This goes along the same lines of muting your phone, or turning it on vibrate, though there is no auto feature for that, so your argument is invalid. I'm sorry.
No, that doesn't change a thing. I have been in theaters with people who try to use their phone dimmed and it is glaringly bright because the room is DARK, any light will be easily visible and distracting. The comparison you made doesn't work since muting your phone would be like keeping the screen OFF, which is the right thing to do when in a large dark room with many other people who are trying to watch a video.

I hate AMC. nobody would notice my nokia 5110 at the theater.

almost all theaters in the Philippines would show a reminder to the viewers that phones should be turned off or be in silent mode, and that loud conversations should be avoided.
unfortunately, my countrymen do not obey. this is the prime reason why I avoid theaters as much as possible.

barring unannounced films, my next movie will be "x men apocalypse" after my first movie of the year "superman vs batman". I previously watched ""star wars 7" and got dismayed that I figuratively tore my eyes out and had my memory erased.

Last edited:

You really can't see why you using your phone during a movie in a dark theater would bother anyone huh? And the fact that you paid for your ticket just like everyone else means that you shouldn't have to follow any rules huh?

Not that it matters, as texting/phone use, and just rude behavior in general are rampant at most regular movie theaters, as AMC is not usually going to kick out people. The Draft House is the only chain I'm aware of that will actually kick people out of movie theaters for rude behavior.........

Dark theater, phones lit up all over. It's not just about sound and yes, you are being rude to those around you when you use your phone in a theater during the movie. My phone goes to silent and stays in my pocket until the credits roll. I personally prefer the local drive-in. Two movies for $7 (one brand new, one slightly older from the same production company), quality food that costs less than popcorn at AMC, and my friends and I can talk (or play on our phones) without bothering anyone else.

Back