AMD acknowledges USB connectivity issues on X570 and B550 motherboards

mongeese

Staff
In brief: Reports of USB connectivity issues on AMD X570 and B550 motherboards have circled the forums since the boards’ release, but the issue has recently come to a head on Reddit. AMD has responded with a simple statement: they’re not sure what the issue is, and they’d like to collect more data.

For the past few months, reports of sporadic USB disconnections on 500-series motherboards have been stacking up on the desk of AMD’s subreddit. Some users have reported that their keyboard will suddenly become unresponsive for 5 to 10 seconds, every few minutes. Other users complain that their mouse will slow down. Owners of sound cards are talking about crackling and distortion.

The strangest thing about the issue is that it seems to be new -- because X570 and B550 boards aren’t. While the first complaints were posted over a year ago, their frequency seems to have increased exponentially in the past month. Some Redditors recently compiled a statistics table for users to share their issues and system specifications, and it looks like the issue is mostly occurring in systems with new RTX GPUs.

But don’t worry, a flagship GPU isn’t a necessity. A mid range GPU and a few high bandwidth devices, like external hard drives, external capture devices, or VR headsets and tracking stations seem to do the trick just as well. And it’s not just the high bandwidth device that will experience the issue, anything connected to the same system can be affected, including internally connected devices like CPU coolers -- which is a very serious issue.

Some workarounds have been found by the community. The first port of call: turning off "c-states" in the BIOS. It won’t carry a penalty, and it can halve the frequency of disconnects. But if that doesn’t work, your remaining options are to switch from PCIe 4.0 to PCIe 3.0 or to go through the BIOS and disable every USB port/header you’re not using. Doing all three will stop the disconnections for most people, but not for power users. Streamers with a capture card, microphone, webcam, and the usual batch of peripherals are out of luck, basically.

That’s where AMD comes in. They’ve asked anyone experiencing issues to report them on AMD’s website. They’ll also be messaging some people who’ve commented on their problems on Reddit.

An Update on USB connectivity with 500 Series Chipset Motherboards from r/Amd

Hopefully, AMD will be able to resolve these issues quickly with a firmware update. In the meanwhile, for new system builders, our best advice is to opt for an AMD GPU to pair with X570 and B550 motherboards, as the combination seems to be almost devoid of issues.

Permalink to story.

I don't know if that is it but I had a lot of problems on my wife's PC with the Corsair Commander Pro connected to the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard, she is running an ASUS Prime X570 - Pro and a 3700X, when that was connected the PC would literally freeze every 2 minutes and you could heard that sound Windows 10 makes when you plug something in and out, I could not to the bottom of it so I sent the commander pro back and to this day she can't control the lighting on her Corsair LL 120 fans

Lmao your advice is to buy a Radeon GPU instead? Erm no thanks I don’t buy garbage hardware that uses awful drivers that can’t ray trace in 2021. Buying Radeon is a major downgrade from RTX. Awful advice. Besides, most retailers in the U.K. don’t even bother listing them anymore. Everyone here has learned not to buy Radeon.

I am actually suffering from this issue I think. I just thought I had a faulty USB header on my board. Il submit my data. Hopefully something can be done to fix it. That issue combined with a whining motherboard fan is beginning to make me think that I shouldn’t have bought Ryzen. Oh well, at least the performance is good and it’s easy to cool.

Lmao your advice is to buy a Radeon GPU instead? Erm no thanks I don’t buy garbage hardware that uses awful drivers that can’t ray trace in 2021. Buying Radeon is a major downgrade from RTX. Awful advice. Besides, most retailers in the U.K. don’t even bother listing them anymore. Everyone here has learned not to buy Radeon.

I am actually suffering from this issue I think. I just thought I had a faulty USB header on my board. Il submit my data. Hopefully something can be done to fix it. That issue combined with a whining motherboard fan is beginning to make me think that I shouldn’t have bought Ryzen. Oh well, at least the performance is good and it’s easy to cool.

What motherboard are you using? Must be some cheap crap if you fan is whining because my wife's board is fine. As to the RT I have a 3080 and could totally live without it the RT, I'm using a 165Hz monitor and obviously I can't hit these frames with RT enabled in any game, I can agree on the drivers side though as only last week we sold my wife's 5700XT and got a 3070 mainly because of the drivers but from what I'm hearing RDNA2 doesn't have a any issues atm

I'm on Intel Z390 and I've also noticed somehow similar problem for about a year or two, when more than one USB port is occupied by external HDD to backup my PC or when I check my backups for duplicates, my PC would freeze for up to a minute, with keyboard and mouse going dead, when system decides to spin all my drives at once, even If I didn't give any command.

I've disabled file indexing, windows defragmenting and limited backing up my drives to external backup to once a month, and It's livable.

It did not happen before when worked on Win7 or in early days of Me using Win10 (obvious prerequisite to use Z390) and since I bought RTX2060 in early 2019, I would bet My money on nVidia (They love to sabotage the competition) or Win10 updates (of course They could screw this) or combo of the two.

What motherboard are you using? Must be some cheap crap if you fan is whining because my wife's board is fine. As to the RT I have a 3080 and could totally live without it the RT, I'm using a 165Hz monitor and obviously I can't hit these frames with RT enabled in any game, I can agree on the drivers side though as only last week we sold my wife's 5700XT and got a 3070 mainly because of the drivers but from what I'm hearing RDNA2 doesn't have a any issues atm
It’s an Asus TUF gaming X570. Tbh the fan isn’t very loud. But I am a quiet freak and most of my rig is passive when just playing movies or at idle etc. Late at night, I can definitely hear it. And there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about it.

As for ray tracing, no you are unlikely to get 165fps with RT on. But you can easily get above 60, with a 3080 on a 1440p monitor you would go higher than that. The thing is it makes such a big visual difference. I find the difference between RT on and off is a bigger impact than low to ultra.

But I’m done with Radeon. I was the last out of my group of friends to still be using a Radeon card when I replaced it last year. And I can’t get over how much better the general experience is on Nvidia. The grass is definitely a lot greener on one side.

Last edited:
It’s an Asus TUF gaming X570. Tbh the fan isn’t very loud. But I am a quiet freak and most of my rig is passive when just playing movies or at idle etc. Late at night, I can definitely hear it. And there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about it.

As for ray tracing, no you are unlikely to get 165fps with RT on. But you can easily get above 60, with a 3080 on a 1440p monitor you would go higher than that. The thing is it makes such a big visual difference. I find the difference between RT on and off is a bigger impact than low to ultra.

But I’m done with Radeon. I was the last out of my group of friends to still be using a Radeon card when I replaced it last year. And I can’t get over how much better the general experience is ok Nvidia. The grass is definitely a lot greener on one side.

My understanding was that the chipset fan only switches on when you have PCI=E 4.0 SSD plugging into it, did you try the bios setting for it? As to never buying another Radeon my mind isn't completely closed on them, nVidia is a scummy company and I really wouldn't want them to get any bigger and have a total monopoly on the market plus if I'm honest AMD's drivers have much better functionality they just need to work more on their stability but I think they will now that CPU division is killing it (y) (Y) RT looks quite good in Cyberpunk and I did play with it enabled + DLSS on Quality but they game looked almost as good on the 5700XT, you really couldn't tell that much until you were near puddles or window's but I just play the game don't go looking for areas where there are reflections deliberately :p

Using ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 board here.

I've had Windows 10 give me random USB disconnect/reconnect sounds, but no issues with USB devices (mouse, headset, thumb drives - keyboard is PS/2). This is my first officially used at home on a constant basis Windows 10 system (my htpc runs windows 10, but I'm rarely on it) so I can't say for certain if this issue is tied to me using a x570 board or if it's just Windows 10 being really shotty, like it is for so many other things.

The sounds would happen usually during gaming, but I had no issues with USB devices. Folks say it's probably just a Win 10 issue and doing the following steps for me resolved the annoying sound of a USB device disconnecting/reconnecting:

First, get into: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
Next: click "Change advanced power settings"
Next: scroll through options and open "USB Settings > USB selective suspend setting"
Change this setting to "Disabled"

No more disconnecting/reconnecting USB sound for me and I've had no issues with USB devices hanging/failing/not reponding.

I find it foul that the article recommends to get Radeon GPU even though the issue most likely is not fault of GeForce GPUs in any way. Of course, I could be wrong, but what a way to reward the company who is blaimed for these issues. My advice is to buy whatever you like.

EDIT. clarification

Last edited:

But I’m done with Radeon. I was the last out of my group of friends to still be using a Radeon card when I replaced it last year. And I can’t get over how much better the general experience is on Nvidia. The grass is definitely a lot greener on one side.
I have the exact same board but it's the one with WiFi. Chipset fan spins up occasionally as well, but mostly only during gaming. I don't have a lot of devices connected though, just a GTX 1070 mini, 1 nvme ssd with heatsink, and 2 SATA SSDs. Usually, I have to look on the side panel of the computer to see if it's running, but there are a lot of cars driving past my place, so I hear the cars more anyway. The USB issue, I have yet to encounter, but I only use it for the headset, KB/M, and occasionally a flash drive.

My understanding was that the chipset fan only switches on when you have PCI=E 4.0 SSD plugging into it, did you try the bios setting for it? As to never buying another Radeon my mind isn't completely closed on them, nVidia is a scummy company and I really wouldn't want them to get any bigger and have a total monopoly on the market plus if I'm honest AMD's drivers have much better functionality they just need to work more on their stability but I think they will now that CPU division is killing it (y) (Y) RT looks quite good in Cyberpunk and I did play with it enabled + DLSS on Quality but they game looked almost as good on the 5700XT, you really couldn't tell that much until you were near puddles or window's but I just play the game don't go looking for areas where there are reflections deliberately :p
I do have a PCIe4 drive plugged in. However the fan is spinning all the time. I didn’t notice at first because it’s completely covered by the graphics card. But I’ve definitely noticed it a few times. It seems to change speed according to hwmonitor.

So I don’t think Nvidia are a “scummy company”. Ive had nothing but good experiences with them. The same can’t be said with AMD. Although this 5800X generally is a good thing with the exception of the USB issue which does explain why my external DAC keeps randomly cutting out. The fan on the motherboard isn’t a dealbreaker but it just feels like lazy engineering.

I guess I may buy another Radeon, I’m not completely closed minded. But right now the Nvidia parts out there are massively superior.

I find it foul that the article recommends to get Radeon GPU even though the issue most likely is not related in any way to GeForce GPUs. Of course, I could be wrong, but what a way to reward the company who is blaimed for these issues. My advice is to buy whatever you like.
Yeah Techspot are not hiding their dislike for Nvidia anymore. I mean when they test the cards they disable all of Nvidias advantages for some reason.

I find it foul that the article recommends to get Radeon GPU even though the issue most likely is not related in any way to GeForce GPUs. Of course, I could be wrong, but what a way to reward the company who is blaimed for these issues. My advice is to buy whatever you like.

While I agree with your „buy whatever you like“ statement, did you look at the spreadsheet, specifically which GPU users who experience the problem are using ?

While I agree with your „buy whatever you like“ statement, did you look at the spreadsheet, specifically which GPU users who experience the problem are using ?
It smells that Techspot are recommending you buy AMDs product to work around AMDs issue on their motherboards. They should be calling on AMD to resolve it as soon as possible. It makes you wonder if it was done intentionally by AMD. Also Radeon GPUs are not equivalent to RTX GPUs, unless you happen to be playing at 1440p or lower and for some bizarre reason you don’t want ray tracing or RTX.

If AMD have been selling boards with hidden issues on their competing GPUs then that’s by far the most “anti-consumer” & “anti-competitive” behaviour I have ever seen in this industry.

It’s also a bit rich to tell people they bought the wrong product after the fact and they have the solution at home and running. Especially when GPUs are almost impossible to get hold of, especially Radeon GPUs which here in the UK we are told to wait until April for stock by the remaining retailers left selling them.

Besides at current pricing and availability it’s a lot cheaper and easier to just swap out your AMD board and/or chip for an Intel combo than it is to try and buy a Radeon GPU. Intel 10xx chips are abundant, aggressively priced and even now being bundled with games and things to help move units at the moment.

I agree
They should use DLSS at ultra quality in all their test,then at least people will see nvidia cream AMD and know that know one cares that the res is only 720p.
Well, I think they should use DLSS in control and in Death stranding at least as in those games the implementation of DLSS 2.0 actually looks objectively better in quality mode than it does with no DLSS. No RTX user would ever turn this off like when Techspot tests it. Also minecraft RTX should have DLSS on when tested because you definitely can’t tell the difference. But for some reason, that game despite being hugely popular and the only example of a fully path traced game doesn’t get benchmarked. (Presumably because Radeons suck at it badly and Techspot don’t want you to find that out). But when async compute was better on Radeon and Ashes of the singularity was showing better performance on Radeon cards, they didn’t stop ramming that down our throats. Despite the fact that no one actually plays that game.

So I don’t think Nvidia are a “scummy company”. Ive had nothing but good experiences with them. The same can’t be said with AMD. Although this 5800X generally is a good thing with the exception of the USB issue which does explain why my external DAC keeps randomly cutting out. The fan on the motherboard isn’t a dealbreaker but it just feels like lazy engineering.

Why are you saying it's AMD's fault x570 board has chipset fan? It's entirely motherboard manufacturer's decision. If motherboard manufacturer decided to put fan on every single motherboard that has Intel chipset, how that would be Intel's "fault"? Yes, that is lazy engineering but AMD has Nothing to do with it.

Well, I think they should use DLSS in control and in Death stranding at least as in those games the implementation of DLSS 2.0 actually looks objectively better in quality mode than it does with no DLSS.

No. DLSS 2.0 can never look better than original. Never. Original is best one, everything else is worse.

No RTX user would ever turn this off like when Techspot tests it. Also minecraft RTX should have DLSS on when tested because you definitely can’t tell the difference.

DLSS alters image quality. If worsening image quality is allowed, then every other technology that makes games run faster because image quality is worse, should be allowed.

Last edited:
I do have a PCIe4 drive plugged in. However the fan is spinning all the time. I didn’t notice at first because it’s completely covered by the graphics card. But I’ve definitely noticed it a few times. It seems to change speed according to hwmonitor.

I guess I may buy another Radeon, I’m not completely closed minded. But right now the Nvidia parts out there are massively superior.

How can you say that nVidia is not a scummy company? :joy: :joy: I mean putting aside the experience you get using their GPU's they try to screw you every chance they get, First it was tessellation in Crysis 2 then Game Works for years, Geforce Partner Program and now this deal with miningjust watch this few videos.

(36) Nvidia GameWorks - Game Over for You. - YouTube

(36) Nvidia - Anti-Competitive, Anti-Consumer, Anti-Technology - YouTube

(36) NVIDIA pretends to care about gamers. - YouTube

The 5800X is a good CPU, I did have it for around 4 weeks but I ended up selling it for basically what I paid for it + free Far Cry 6 game for me :p and switched to Intel for time being

How can you say that nVidia is not a scummy company? :joy: :joy: I mean putting aside the experience you get using their GPU's they try to screw you every chance they get, First it was tessellation in Crysis 2 then Game Works for years, Geforce Partner Program and now this deal with miningjust watch this few videos.

(36) Nvidia GameWorks - Game Over for You. - YouTube

(36) Nvidia - Anti-Competitive, Anti-Consumer, Anti-Technology - YouTube

(36) NVIDIA pretends to care about gamers. - YouTube

The 5800X is a good CPU, I did have it for around 4 weeks but I ended up selling it for basically what I paid for it + free Far Cry 6 game for me :p and switched to Intel for time being
Il say it again. Nvidia are not a “scummy company”.

Does this irk you? I’m not sorry if it does. Just because I’m not a small minded sheep who follows the Nvidia hate brigade?

AMD are just as bad as Nvidia, who are just as bad as Intel. They all only care about your money. I judge these companies on the experiences I have with them. Not on what some fanboy screams about online. In fact Godfall is releasing with AMD exclusive ray tracing soon. AMD paid the devs not to develop and Nvidia solution. That’s no better than Nvidias game works stunts and worse than Nvidias own ray tracing which now has Vulcan and DX12 extensions and can be used by anyone.

PS, AdoredTV? Lmao, I pity anyone dumb enough to take that channel seriously. It’s mostly lies and hidden truths. But I guess it does make people who love to hate Nvidia feel better about it.

All these companies are the same mate. None of them give a dam about you. Let fanboys argue over who is more “ethical”.

Why are you saying it's AMD's fault x570 board has chipset fan? It's entirely motherboard manufacturer's decision. If motherboard manufacturer decided to put fan on every single motherboard that has Intel chipset, how that would be Intel's "fault"? Yes, that is lazy engineering but AMD has Nothing to do with it.

No. DLSS 2.0 can never look better than original. Never. Original is best one, everything else is worse.
I don’t care who’s fault it is that the chipset has a fan. Can you tell me why that matters? All I know is that most X570 boards have them.

You are incorrect about DLSS. Several tech outlets report that DLSS 2.0 is objectively better than native in some games. It’s not really an opinion it’s fact. And if you actually understood how DLSS works then you would understand that this is possible. Digital foundry even do videos demonstrating this. Please look them up.

Read it and weep;

“the big takeaway is that DLSS image reconstruction from 1440p looks cleaner overall than native resolution rendering. We've reached the point where upscaling is quantifiably cleaner and more detailed” (Death stranding)

Last edited:
I don’t care who’s fault it is that the chipset has a fan. Can you tell me why that matters? All I know is that most X570 boards have them.

Then why you complain it's AMD's fault? You blame AMD for something AMD is not responsible at all.

You are incorrect about DLSS. Several tech outlets report that DLSS 2.0 is objectively better than native in some games. It’s not really an opinion it’s fact. And if you actually understood how DLSS works then you would understand that this is possible. Digital foundry even do videos demonstrating this. Please look them up.

Read it and weep;

“ Despite running with much lower pixel count, DLSS is undoubtedly sharper and delivers more detail and clarity than checkerboard rendering” (Death stranding - native is checkerboarded)

First question, what this all has to do with x570 USB problems?

Secondly, DLSS makes guesses what upscaled picture should look like. It can Never be better than original.

I bolded most relevant parts from text:

On an RTX 2080 Ti at 4K, DLSS completes in around 1.5ms - meaning it's faster than checkerboarding on PS4 Pro. However, the hardware comparison is obviously lopsided. The weakest capable GPU is the RTX 2060 (still significantly more powerful than the Pro) and DLSS has an overhead in excess of 2.5ms on this card. That's heavy, especially if you're targeting 60fps where the entire frame rendering budget is just 16.7ms. However, the core advantage is that the base resolution is so much lower. DLSS in Death Stranding comes in two flavours: the performance mode achieves 4K quality from just a 1080p internal resolution. Meanwhile, the quality mode delivers better-than-native results from a 1440p base image. In both cases, that's much lower than PS4 Pro's 1920x2160 core resolution. By running everything else in the GPU pipeline at much lower resolutions, the cost of processing DLSS is more than offset - to the point where mildly overclocking the RTX 2060 allows Death Stranding to deliver 4K gaming at 60fps.

In the video on this page, you'll see detailed comparisons of how Death Stranding's checkerboarding on PS4 Pro stands up against DLSS on PC and it's fascinating to see what is effectively a state of the art current generation reconstruction technique and how it compares to a next-gen equivalent. Despite running with much lower pixel count, DLSS is undoubtedly sharper and delivers more detail and clarity than checkerboard rendering. Transparent elements like hair see checkerboard artefacts on PS4 Pro that are totally gone with DLSS. In motion, this translates to more temporal stability with DLSS, with the subtle flicker seen on the PS4 Pro version completely gone. In general, pixel crawl and popping is also much reduced. DLSS does have a weakness though: certain objects at a distance exhibit particle trails that are not visible on PS4 Pro, nor in native rendering. It's a small blemish and the only negative point in the presentation.

PC version image quality looks better than console version image quality. Really :laughing:

Back