AMD announces dual-core Llano APUs for under $70

Jos

Staff

AMD today announced its first dual-core Llano APUs, the A4-330 and A4-3400, extending the lineup beyond the five models currently available and bringing the entry-level desktop APU price down to just $70. Both chips integrate a Radeon HD 6410D GPU with 160 shaders and 1 MB L2 cache while maintaining a 65W TDP.

The main difference between these chips is in their CPU and GPU clock frequencies. The A4-3300 operates at 2.5 GHz and its GPU is clocked at 443 MHz, while the A4-3400's CPU core runs at 2.7 GHz and has a 600 MHz GPU frequency. You can see AMD's complete Llano lineup and their respective specs in the table below:

Model GPU TDP CPU Cores Base/Turbo Clock GPU Cores GPU Clock Price
AMD A8-3850 Radeon HD 6550D 100W 4 2.9GHz 400 600MHz $135
AMD A8-3800 Radeon HD 6550D 65W 4 2.4/2.7GHz 400 600MHz $129
AMD A6-3650 Radeon HD 6530D 100W 4 2.6GHz 320 443MHz $115
AMD A6-3600 Radeon HD 6530D 65W 4 2.1/2.4GHz 320 443MHz $109
AMD A6-3500 Radeon HD 6530D 65W 3 2.1/2.4GHz 320 443MHz $89
AMD A4-3400 Radeon HD 6410D 65W 2 2.7GHz 160 600MHz $69
AMD A4-3300 Radeon HD 6410D 65W 2 2.5GHz 160 443MHz $64

In terms of features you can expect an integrated USB 3.0 controller, support for AMD Steady Video for removing jitters and shakes while watching video, and AMD Dual Graphics for users who want to pair the integrated GPU with a discrete Radeon HD 6000 Series graphics card for a performance boost. There's no Turbo Core supported on either A4 model.

Both chips should work in all existing Socket-FM1 motherboards. Official prices for A4-Series 3300 and 3400 models are $64 and $69 in 1K quantities, so you can expect to pay slightly more when they hit retailers later this month.

Permalink to story.

Leeky said:

I'm fed up of waiting now, going Sandybridge instead. At this rate I'll be 50 before its sodding released.

No! Wait! Uh... hang on, lessee... we still got some Phenom X II 6 quad hexacores in here somewhere!!! AND WAIT --- howzabout, uh, NM10!!! I mean, uh...

Oh, you win...

- S

And really, I know that NM10 is Atom. I was merely demonstrating the abject confusion that has been caused by the recent spate of new processor releases.

We got Sandy Bridge, Llano, Phenom, Leviathan, Gargantua, Mothra, and Plato. I mean, uh, Pluto. Oh, you know...

I just want something HIGH-POWER, CHEAP, and LOW-POWER. I mean, uh, I want something that has LOW-LATENCY, HIGH OVERHEAD, and uh...

What DO I WANT AGAIN?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(User has logged off indefinitely to ponder the wisdom of spending so much time reading TechSpot, visting NewEgg, TigerDirect, and MicroCenter daily. Promises to commit more time to learning what CiSC vs. RiSC means, the difference between Deneb and Debian, and how to properly install a PSU without losing a screw in the process...

THE ONE THAT FELL OUT OF MY HEAD.)

:)

Later.

- S

@Archean
I'm sat in a position were I'd be spending out twice, once for the 1100T, and then again for a new 8 core later on. Given that it seems pointless to continue with AM3+ when it could be a century before BD arrives.

My current backup Intel Q6600 build is sold (and I've held off as long as I can really), and as soon as its collected I'm without a system. I really do not want to pay out for a CPU now to only replace it later on.

Plus I really don't think given the delays that the BD will have anything to offer in the way of beating Intel, so I'm going to jump ship and go for a SB setup instead.

The issues I've had with the AMD setup doesn't help matters, as I'm just fed up with it all now. Over the last few months my main system has been out of use and tbh I want to use it now.

So in the coming days/weeks I'll be putting an order in for a new case (cant decide between a Level 10 GT or a Raven 3 right now), new CPU, motherboard and GPU. I might even head for 16GB of RAM as well, and grab another 1TB Spinpoint F3.

Famous last words.... :haha:

Indeed, I think at best BD will just be able to compete with SNBs, so it is right time to jump ships anyway. Beside, couple of years down the road you can easily upgrade your SNB CPU with an IVB CPU ;).

For me, well I may never assemble another desktop again (hopefully I will be wrong though), beside I have powerful enough notebook which can do whatever I need to do for now + some more.

So this may beat your 'FLWs'. :D

I don't understand the big deal about Llano. You get a slow processor which is essentially just an Athlon II X2 that can't even outperform overclocked E6400/6600 Core 2 Duos from 2006, and you higher end Llano's will get smoked by 2007/2008 quad-cores such as Q8300/Q6600/9300/9400.

So essentially AMD is pairing a low-end GPU with 320/400 shaders that can only play games at low resolutions such as 1024x768 and 1280x720 in modern games (i.e., exactly the situations where you are CPU limited), and pairing it with a slow IPC processor?

It seems Llano is more suitable for HTPC.

Guest said:
It seems Llano is more suitable for HTPC.

Your logic route has landed you right where most of us are with the Llano APU. But it can be a bit more broad that just HTPC. In reality, most average PC consumers are of the "take it out of the box, plug it in, and run it" variety. They are not the hardcore gamers. They are not the avid upgraders who always need to keep their PC at peak performance. In short, they are probably not Techspot readers. For those average users, who are more interested in media-rich content and maybe some light gaming, the Llano fits extremely well. The raw number crunching power of the Sandy Bridge is overkill for them, while the integrated graphics performance lags (sometimes dramatically) behind the Llano.

So, if you need a cheap, simple, efficient, media-heavy PC with some light gaming capabilities, the Llano has the edge in quite a few categories. HTPC is a prime example of that particular demographic, but is honestly a much smaller piece of the pie than the general computing market that Llano's capabilities can easily satisfy.

AMD APUs are currently better suited to the notebook market where crappy integrated graphics are more common in mainstream laptops and low powered discrete graphics often add considerably to the price tag.

The slow roll out of these new chips ,both the Llano and Bulldozer,
is the fault at this time of the Foundry ,Global Foundries.
Nice article at www.semiaccurate.com
delves into some of the particulars.

AMD fail. and im also not a fan of Intel or never used to be untill now

Back