AMD breaks the world record for 16-core CPUs in Cinebench with a 7950X on LN2

mongeese

Staff
Congrats! AMD-sponsored overclocker Bill Alverson, aka Sampson, won the twin records of the highest scores in Cinebench R23 and R20 for 16-core CPUs on Friday with a Ryzen 9 7950X overclocked to 6.5 GHz. His scores now also rank 37th in R23 and 88th in R20 for CPUs of any size.

His score of 48,235 points in R23 is about 8,000 points ahead of second place --an i9-12900KS overclocked to 7 GHz also on LN2. It's about 11,000 points or 30 percent higher than the leaked scores of factory-clocked 7950Xs, and nearly 20,000 points higher than the regular scores of the 5950X.

The overclocked 7950X managed to leapfrog over the other 16-core CPUs and into the territory of 32-core behemoths like the Threadripper 3970X. It even outpaces Intel's 28-core Xeon W-3175X from a couple of years back, despite the overclocking race that processor prompted.

According to the screenshot submitted to HWBot, the overclock that won the R23 record was an x64.50 multiplier applied to the default 100 MHz bus frequency, resulting in 6450 MHz on all cores. It took 1.40 V and a peak power consumption of 271 W to reach it, 101 W more than the factory TDP.

The system was an Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Gene motherboard paired with two 16 GB DDR5 sticks clocked at 3600 MHz. The GPU was the integrated AMD Raphael GPU based on RDNA2 clocked at 600 MHz. For the R20 record, Sampson rebuilt the system with an Asrock X670E Taichi motherboard.

The second overclock was reported quite differently by the hardware monitors. Benchmate recorded 6513.28 MHz, CPU-Z said 6538.38 MHz, and HWiNFO said that a 100.1 MHz bus frequency and an x64.63 multiplier resulted in an average clock speed of 6470.20 MHz.

Regardless, that was all he needed to score 18,605 points and take the 16-core CPU record in R20. For comparison, the highest 5950X and i9-12900K (LN2) scores are 15,664 points with an overclock of an even 6 GHz and 15,625 points with an overclock of 6873 MHz, respectively.

After the 7950X and the rest of the 7000-series launch on Tuesday, we should see more overclocking high scores appear (as well as our reviews!). Without exotic cooling, the CPU has a boost clock of 5.7 GHz and a base clock of 4.5 GHz, with an MRSP of $700.

Permalink to story.

Well, now we can compare:
7950X at 6.5 (1.4V) = ~270W Power
13900K at 6.3 (1.5V) = ~400W Power.
Ada Lovelace 450-600W.
The conclusion is that we have to think serious to global warming repercussions :)

Wish all chat to enjoy their computers or their new builds regardless if it has an AMD or an Intel processor.
Oh, and ...Winter is coming!

Last edited:
Ada Lovelace 450-600W.
The conclusion is that we have to think serious to global warming repercussions :)

Wish all chat to enjoy their computers or their new builds regardless if it has an AMD or an Intel processor.
So do Undervolt and be happy.

I would like it to be viable to keep this OC... using normal AIO cooling, of course.

1.4v is safe for a ryzen oc but it does create a lot of heat. 1.35 is much better so maybe 6Ghz at 1.35 would be the sweat spot?

Out of curiousity when we get to 2nm etc - will these OCs be an indicator of stability from quantum errors ?- electrons tunnelling where they shouldn't be etc
Such errors have been doom and gloom - so just curious .

Ie is there a correlation to GHz to errors ( as well )

because if say 7GHz is stable - then 5.5GHz should be much better for everyday work

Out of curiousity when we get to 2nm etc - will these OCs be an indicator of stability from quantum errors ?- electrons tunnelling where they shouldn't be etc
Such errors have been doom and gloom - so just curious .

Ie is there a correlation to GHz to errors
Quantum tunnelling already is a problem. It’s controlled as much as it can be through choice and layout of the insulation layers, and error checking & correction is part of CPU design too. Voltage is enemy of chips, rather than clock rates (with regards to electron migration).

For those people worried about power consumption during gaming, just use frame limiters or vsync - lower power draw at 60 fps than, say, 150.

LN2 and world records it's just pure marketing BS and takes advantage of human psychology on client side.
"my truck it's much bigger than yours"......"have you seen that guy, his truck it's the biggest"
Same tactics applies to Crapple users.

Well, if this were practical for me to implement on a regular basis while I normally use my computer or even when I required HPC like performance, I might care. But this is useless, IMO, for even the average enthusiast. Just more useless marketing aimed at those who think they gotta have bragging rights regardless of cost. :rolleyes:

Well that rules out Europe.
Well yeah, we said "first world" country.
Ada Lovelace 450-600W.

Electricity isnt bad for global warming, havent you seen electric cars?
Undervolt, Global warming....Clean up the oceans and quit throwing your trash away wrong first
Hell, go bigger. Stop building everything in one country then using massive bunker oil burning ships to move it everywhere. Localize production and build things to last instead of cheap plastic crap.

Ada Lovelace 450-600W.

What about people who don't believe in Global Warming?

Ada Lovelace 450-600W.

Yeah, the first thing people think of when talking about global warming is PC components.

Those just had some heat waves this summer followed by some hurricanes few days ago.
Right, because hurricanes never occurred before man invented the SUV.

Hurricanes aren't getting more frequent. In fact, we're seeing slightly fewer of them now than we were in the 1870s, 150 years ago:

071321_cg_hurricanes_inline1_desktop.png

Right, because hurricanes never occurred before man invented the SUV.

Hurricanes aren't getting more frequent. In fact, we're seeing slightly fewer of them now than we were in the 1870s, 150 years ago:

071321_cg_hurricanes_inline1_desktop.png
Sure we can agree, also arctic and antarctic ice is not melting, the heat is just a breeze, californian and australian fires were mere coincidences, etc.
And there is an army of scientists to back up these claims, paid also by coincidence by oil corporations and in general whatever corporation is loosing money if it will acknowledge global warming.

Quantum tunnelling already is a problem. It’s controlled as much as it can be through choice and layout of the insulation layers, and error checking & correction is part of CPU design too. Voltage is enemy of chips, rather than clock rates (with regards to electron migration).

For those people worried about power consumption during gaming, just use frame limiters or vsync - lower power draw at 60 fps than, say, 150.
that's what I do, I don't mind high FPS, my monitors are 60hz and 60fps is enough for me, as long as it go above 30 fps I'm happy. so I limit my AMD GPU to 60 fps maximum, and activate Radeon Chill . less stress, lower temperature, lower consumption, more peace of mind

AMD breaks the world record for 16-core CPUs in Cinebench with a 7950X on LN2 - That's a world record? Honestly? It sounds like TS is just taking AMD advertising and printing it as an article.

"Loaded like a hype train
Flyin' like an aeroplane
Feelin' like a space brain
One more time tonight (look out)"

AMD must build the hype for tomorow, what do you expect?

Back