AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su will be giving the Computex 2019 keynote

Greg S

Something to look forward to: Keynote speakers at Computex often have a lot to be proud of accomplishing and are given the opportunity to share their latest innovations. All eyes will be on Dr. Lisa Su this year to see what AMD has to bring to the table.

Computex 2019 is approaching, and it has just been revealed that AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su is giving the keynote speech. Expected announcements from AMD include Ryzen 3000 series processors, 7nm Epyc server processors, and "Navi" architecture graphics cards. The latest Ryzen series was already teased at CES earlier this year.

Beginning on May 28 and running through June 1, Computex is home to all sorts of computer hardware, in addition to trends including AI, 5G, Blockchain, and IoT devices. The standard affair of gaming and virtual reality booths will also be present as usual.

In Dr. Su's presentation, she will be joined by other high profile guests to discuss a "high-performance computing ecosystem," which presumably means server hardware will be a primary focus. Consumer grade hardware may take a backseat temporarily so Intel's team has plenty of time absorb that their days of completely dominating the data center market are coming to an end.

Dr. Su says, "With our partners, we will tell the story of how leading-edge technologies and an open ecosystem are driving an inflection point in computing and industry innovation and positively impacting several important markets." Beyond that, no key details of upcoming hardware have slipped out.

Given that AMD has earned the keynote position at Computex, it is safe to say there will be more news on 7nm Epyc, 3rd Gen Ryzen, and Navi GPUs. Until then, it is a waiting game to see just how much AMD will be able to shake up the market. What sort of specifications would be enough to get you to consider upgrading to the next Ryzen series? If there are any new Navi GPUs available for gamers, what would it take for you to part ways with a small premium for one?

Permalink to story.

Judging by the attire south Koreans like taking on stage, they are all into bondage.

I personally believe 2019 is do or die for AMD. Especially on GPU side.

I'm hoping they can deliver.

I personally believe 2019 is do or die for AMD. Especially on GPU side.

I'm hoping they can deliver.

GPU division, yeah. CPU division, not so much. Given the die shrink, it will be a step forward from Zen/Zen+. Even if AMD doesn't overtake Intel in performance, their prices will still beat Intel's offerings for mainstream use. Nonetheless, it seems like AMD may be making some good progress and if all of the leaks and theories are correct, Zen 2 is more than just a die shrink, it will be a redesign as well.

GPU division, yeah. CPU division, not so much. Given the die shrink, it will be a step forward from Zen/Zen+. Even if AMD doesn't overtake Intel in performance, their prices will still beat Intel's offerings for mainstream use. Nonetheless, it seems like AMD may be making some good progress and if all of the leaks and theories are correct, Zen 2 is more than just a die shrink, it will be a redesign as well.

AMD can't afford to be just "good enough" forever when the majority of consumers still don't know who or what AMD is. It's time for AMD to stand out when it comes to performance, not price.

AMD can't afford to be just "good enough" forever when the majority of consumers still don't know who or what AMD is. It's time for AMD to stand out when it comes to performance, not price.
Ever heard the expression "Rome wasn't built in a day?"

People predicted the absolute undeniable doom of AMD with the bullcrap fiasco. Guess what? It did not happen.

I'm waiting for rumoured Ryzen 9 3850X, hopefully my Aorus Gaming 7 will be able to run it and OC to 4.8Ghz :)

Quite the contrary. AMD has always been well known. They are gaining market share and starting to become the favorite in server applications. Ryzen has taken the market by storm which has prompted Intel to respond. Even if they don't completely close the performance gap, they will shrink it further like they have been.

If it doesn't address fixing their garbage drivers; don't care.

Are you talking about AMD or Nvidia? Recent history definitely suggests Nvidia.
Especially given one article published on TS today - https://www.techspot.com/news/79472-radeon-1941-driver-fixes-instability-issues.html

That's just amazing. I have a Radeon VII and three displays, I assumed the DisplayPort to HDMI cable for one of my displays died. Nice to know the cable I bought yesterday may have been a completely worthless purchase.

Are you for real?...…….

My brother has driver version

Radeon Settings Version

Yes plays games fine with that RX560 4GB overclocked. Good little card! He has the better version card that isn't restricted and has it running off the power supply instead of the cards that relied on the motherboard.

Yeah because nVidia has no issues.... maybe you should have a look what AMD's can do next to nVidia, somebody is way behind here but its not AMD :)
You have a great sense of humor! ;)

Are you talking about AMD or Nvidia? Recent history definitely suggests Nvidia.
Especially given one article published on TS today - https://www.techspot.com/news/79472-radeon-1941-driver-fixes-instability-issues.html

That's just amazing. I have a Radeon VII and three displays, I assumed the DisplayPort to HDMI cable for one of my displays died. Nice to know the cable I bought yesterday may have been a completely worthless purchase.
We all suffer from technology creep! ;)

"If there are any new Navi GPUs available for gamers, what would it take for you to part ways with a small premium for one?"

I'm pretty tapped out already running a Threadripper 2950X and a RTX 2080 Ti. At the moment, everything runs perfectly (100+ fps at 3440x1440 on Ultra) so Navi would have to be free to consider upgrading. :) That said, I hope it offers RTX 2080 Ti level performance for half the price. One can only wish and I won't hold my breath on AMD's graphics division. :( These card prices are insane. Remember when spending 350 bucks got you top-of-the-line and all your friends drooled over it? That'll get you a "meh" card now. So sad...

Quite the contrary. AMD has always been well known. They are gaining market share and starting to become the favorite in server applications. Ryzen has taken the market by storm which has prompted Intel to respond. Even if they don't completely close the performance gap, they will shrink it further like they have been.

3% server market share is nothing to brag about when you started with NOTHING.

Ever heard the expression "Rome wasn't built in a day?"

People predicted the absolute undeniable doom of AMD with the bullcrap fiasco. Guess what? It did not happen.

I have heard that expression. Now tell me how long did it take...

If, maybe, could, possibly, hope and pray....
No thanks.

I have heard that expression. Now tell me how long did it take...
Metaphor is how long it took. ;)

As I see it, AMD isn't going anywhere even if Navi is not everything that gamers hope. Their GPUs are far better at compute than the competition's GPUs are, and that is giving them a strong foothold in the HPC market, too.

If anything, given the competition's recent lack of any real progress, the competition is complacent and practically giving away the market. ;):laughing:

Metaphor is how long it took. ;)

As I see it, AMD isn't going anywhere even if Navi is not everything that gamers hope. Their GPUs are far better at compute than the competition's GPUs are, and that is giving them a strong foothold in the HPC market, too.

If anything, given the competition's recent lack of any real progress, the competition is complacent and practically giving away the market. ;):laughing:

Nvidia is back to 2015 marketshare. 82%. AMD is back where they were when Maxwell was king....

Back