AMD confirms mainstream RDNA 3 GPUs before summer, accidentally lists Radeon 7950 XTX

nanoguy

Staff member
Something to look forward to: AMD says it's gearing up to release new RX 7000 series cards, which is great news for an otherwise stale GPU market where prices are still high and new releases like Nvidia's RTX 4070 and RTX 4070 Ti sit comfortably on store shelves. We're hoping mainstream RDNA 3 offerings will be priced competitively, but we'll have to wait and see.

We've seen several hints about AMD's upcoming Radeon RX 7000 series graphics cards, and at least one of them – the RX 7600 XT – is expected to make an appearance around Computex this month. The RX 7700 XT and RX 7800 XT are also in the works, but Team Red has so far kept them under wraps as consumers have shown little interest in recent mid-range releases like Nvidia's RTX 4070.

During a recent investor call, AMD CEO Lisa Su confirmed the company is planning to expand the RDNA 3 family with more affordable GPU models in the coming weeks. Su explained the company is on track to launch new "mainstream" Radeon RX 7000 series GPUs this quarter, but didn't go into any details.

Luckily, someone spotted an AMD ROCm 5.6 pull request on GitHub that suggests the company may be working on several new RDNA 3 offerings. The request has been deleted, but thanks to the Redditor that found it we have the full list of SKUs here:

• AMD Radeon™ RX 7950 XTX | RDNA3 | gfx1100
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7950 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1100
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX | RDNA3 | gfx1100
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1100
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1101
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7700 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1102
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7600 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1102
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7500 XT | RDNA3 | gfx1102
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7600M XT | RDNA3 | gfx1102
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7600M | RDNA3 | gfx1102
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S | RDNA3 | gfx1102
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 7600S | RDNA3 | gfx1102

The inclusion of the RX 7500 XT brings back memories of the disastrous launch of the RX 6500 XT, a product that was initially meant for laptops but somehow ended up as a desktop card with a limited 4GB VRAM buffer and modest PCIe bandwidth. This is an area where AMD can garner some mindshare if it applies the lessons learned with the RX 6500 XT.

The laptop SKUs are a known quantity as AMD has already shared some information about them at CES in January. However, the RX 7950 XT and RX 7950 XTX entries might look like simple placeholders, but they could be binned Navi 31 GPUs that AMD might pair with higher-speed GDDR6 in case Nvidia decides to launch upgraded versions of its RTX 4000 series GPUs.

Deep Dive: AMD RDNA 3, Intel Arc Alchemist and Nvidia Ada Lovelace GPU Architecture

As we've seen with the RX 6950 XT, this would come with a significant jump in power usage, possibly up to RTX 4090 levels. AMD has been reluctant to go this route with RDNA 3 so far, but the company did say the Navi 31 GCD was designed to be clocked up to at least 3 GHz given proper cooling. For reference, the RX 7900 XTX can boost up to 2.5 GHz, but overclockers like Der8auer have been able to push it to almost 3.4 GHz, albeit at a power draw of 650 watts.

Of course, most gamers are likely interested to see if AMD can equip the RX 7600 XT, RX 7700 XT, and RX 7800 XT with sufficient VRAM buffers. Team Red recently fired shots at rival Nvidia for launching the RTX 4070 and RTX 4070 Ti with modest VRAM capacities when compared to RX 6000 and RX 7000 series equivalents. We'll know for sure in the coming weeks and months, but with 8GB of VRAM becoming the new low-end, we're hoping AMD can live up to its own expectations.

Permalink to story.

RUMOR:
I've heard that AMD has been able to fix the issues with Navi 31 on a hardware level. They thought they were going to be able to fix the problems with drivers before launch but they couldn't. This is where the slides that didn't match performance numbers came from. Some people are calling this "RDNA 3.5". This is going to be the chip they wanted to release with a bit of a performance boost on top. I've also heard that their midranged offerings already have this hardware level fix in them.

The sheeps are hoping amd release new cards so nvidia would cut prices so they can buy nvidia cards.
I'm pretty sure nVidia has alienated the majority of their consumer base. Aside from the 4090, which is seeing massive levels of returns, at no point in this generation has nVidia definitely held the performance crown at any price point. And if I hear DLSS one more time I'm going to slap someone, it doesn't even work properly on their lower end products because they don't have enough VRAM. Arguably the segment where it is most important.

If AMD wanted to shake up the market they would get the price of the 7900 XTX to $800, the 7900 XT $600, the 7800 XT at $450, the 7700 XT at $350 and the 7600 XT at $250. Given the rumored specs and the current market, the prices would need to be this low to get any traction.

If AMD wanted to shake up the market they would get the price of the 7900 XTX to $800, the 7900 XT $600, the 7800 XT at $450, the 7700 XT at $350 and the 7600 XT at $250. Given the rumored specs and the current market, the prices would need to be this low to get any traction.
Well it looks like the price floor what the 7900XT can be sold to partners at and still remain profitable is about $600, then partners need to make money and the retailers need to make money. We likely wont see cards like the 7900XT go below $700 this generation. It'll only be after that when they're sitting on shelves. Moores Law is Dead recently stated that AMD is selling the 7900xt to board partners at $720-730 wholesale and it's selling for around $800 retail.

What people think the card is worth and with actually costs to produce so that everyone in the pipeline can take their chunk of change are 2 totally different things. While nVidia tried to use the "moores law is over, everything is this is expensive now" to justify there prices, things are indeed more expensive. There is a very real price floor to these products where it is no longer worth a companies time to make them

They missed an opportunity to make a top tier version of the Navi 31 chip with the legacy of '7970' and make it hit 3Ghz.

RUMOR:
I've heard that AMD has been able to fix the issues with Navi 31 on a hardware level. They thought they were going to be able to fix the problems with drivers before launch but they couldn't. This is where the slides that didn't match performance numbers came from. Some people are calling this "RDNA 3.5". This is going to be the chip they wanted to release with a bit of a performance boost on top. I've also heard that their midranged offerings already have this hardware level fix in them.

Yeah MLisD said something about this a few months ago and he also said this is why the NAvi32/31 cards are so late. They should be fine being on later hardware. I would definitely buy a 7900XT if it lived up to the promise shown in those slides. Hopefully a respin comes out in next 6 months to tide us over until RDNA4, but I'm much more likely to wait for that. I consider this gen RDNA3 a beta test for MCM. Same reason I wouldn't touch Meteor Lake with a 100' pole, I'll wait for Arrow Lake.

Yeah MLisD said something about this a few months ago and he also said this is why the NAvi32/31 cards are so late. They should be fine being on later hardware. I would definitely buy a 7900XT if it lived up to the promise shown in those slides. Hopefully a respin comes out in next 6 months to tide us over until RDNA4, but I'm much more likely to wait for that. I consider this gen RDNA3 a beta test for MCM. Same reason I wouldn't touch Meteor Lake with a 100' pole, I'll wait for Arrow Lake.
I mean if RDNA 3.5 comes out and we see the RDNA 3 cards drop to RDNA 2 levels then we could have a real winner on our hands. We might see a $650-700 7900xt with the 7950xt being their new $900 card and the 7900xtx dropping around $800. If the rumors I have heard are true(they're reliable sources, BUT THEY'RE STILL RUMORS), we are likely to see a 7950xtx for $1000 with performance between a 4080 and a 4090. Essentially it's meant to target whatever they suspect the 4080ti to be.

I'm still eating some large grains of salt when I hear these things but it seems reasonable enough to me. We do know for a fact now that the 7900xtx would have been faster than a 4080 if it wasn't for those hardware issues. It seems reasonable to me that if AMD has solved the hardware issues and paired with with several months of the node maturing we could se a significant bump in performance over what the slides said when they were announced.

I'm pretty sure nVidia has alienated the majority of their consumer base. Aside from the 4090, which is seeing massive levels of returns, at no point in this generation has nVidia definitely held the performance crown at any price point. And if I hear DLSS one more time I'm going to slap someone, it doesn't even work properly on their lower end products because they don't have enough VRAM. Arguably the segment where it is most important.
The mindshare is heavily influenced by the top product, the others can clearly get away with worse value if the halo product is indisputably the top dog. Even if it weren't, the ship would take multiple generations to turn unfortunately.

Also, DLSS : P

The mindshare is heavily influenced by the top product, the others can clearly get away with worse value if the halo product is indisputably the top dog. Even if it weren't, the ship would take multiple generations to turn unfortunately.

Also, DLSS : P
you're so ugly you need DLSS to make you look better. Closest thing to a slap I can give over the internet. But the return rate on 4090's is very high, people don't want them. You have open box models sitting on shelves right not for $1600 and they retailed for 2k+. Not only are the cards sales slowing down, people are returning them. These products are aimed at the "money is no object crowd" and even if you look at open box or used listings for the 4090, even they don't care about it.

the 4090 is the undisputed performance king but people really just don't care anymore. Who cares if you can play CS:GO at 4k400FPS, there aren't even monitors that can display that. There is no display standard that can actually output more than 4k240 right now, Theoretically, yes there is, but no one using that standard actually supports that resolution. So what's it good for? The 4090 is so powerful that it has surpassed any standard that can actually make use of it. When the next lowest card is $1000 less and has 70-80% of the performance of a 4090, many people would just rather have the extra $1000.

Would you rather have a 4090 or a 7900xtx and $1000?

I mean if RDNA 3.5 comes out and we see the RDNA 3 cards drop to RDNA 2 levels then we could have a real winner on our hands. We might see a $650-700 7900xt with the 7950xt being their new $900 card and the 7900xtx dropping around $800. If the rumors I have heard are true(they're reliable sources, BUT THEY'RE STILL RUMORS), we are likely to see a 7950xtx for $1000 with performance between a 4080 and a 4090. Essentially it's meant to target whatever they suspect the 4080ti to be.

I'm still eating some large grains of salt when I hear these things but it seems reasonable enough to me. We do know for a fact now that the 7900xtx would have been faster than a 4080 if it wasn't for those hardware issues. It seems reasonable to me that if AMD has solved the hardware issues and paired with with several months of the node maturing we could se a significant bump in performance over what the slides said when they were announced.

Ok, if current 7900XT gets a 20-25% price cut, then it would tempt me even more so if we can get say another 10% performance with drivers (wishful thinking I know). 7900XT should be clearly stronger than 4070 Ti (RT excluded) and 7900XTX should be like 10-15% stronger than 4080 and I think AMD would have hit those goals if not for the hardware/software issues and they're not that efficient either.

Closest thing to a slap I can give over the internet. But the return rate on 4090's is very high, .................
Would you rather have a 4090 or a 7900xtx and $1000?
I know more than one person myself that bought one and returned it because it's overkill for their setup, the run 1440p, have a non top end CPU etc, they bought the best becuase of hype or whatever and then found it massively exceeded their needs.

In your example, do I still need to spend $1000 to get either but the 7900XTX is $1000 saved? Or do I get my choice of a free 4090, or a free 7900XTX + $1000 USD?

Last edited:
I know more than one person myself that bought one and returned it because it's overkill for their setup, the run 1440p, have a non top end CPU etc, they bought the best becuase of hype or whatever and then found it massively exceeded their needs.

In your example, do I still need to spend $1000 to get either but the 7900XTX is $1000 saved? Or do I get my choice of a free 4090, or a free 7900XTX + $1000 USD?
In my example you get the performance you want but have an extra $1000 in your pocket.

Ok, if current 7900XT gets a 20-25% price cut, then it would tempt me even more so if we can get say another 10% performance with drivers (wishful thinking I know). 7900XT should be clearly stronger than 4070 Ti (RT excluded) and 7900XTX should be like 10-15% stronger than 4080 and I think AMD would have hit those goals if not for the hardware/software issues and they're not that efficient either.
The 7900XT will not go below $700 until RNDA "3.5" comes out. You can find the 4080 selling new for $1150. The 7900xtx is still going strong for $1000. Driver updates never fixed the hardware issue with AMD's RDNA3 like they expected it to but they did a great job in addressing the performance over time. It's still not as good as they said it would be. The only thing I will say is that it's a damn good card for the money. For this round I think it will be remembered that the 7900xtx won. Honestly, with how people talk abut the 7900xt, once it hits the ~$700(maybe below) mark I think it will be remembered as thing hero's generation.
It's just really odd that people stopped talking about the 4090 and suddenly the 7900xt came out. Not on social media, mind you, to this day they're all using the 4090 in their builds. Eveneryone knows the 4090 is the best and it generates views, but nobody cares anymore. from the people who are willing and able to purchase these things en-masse, no one cares about 4090s or 4080s. Not even the 7900xtx.

There is a market right now and it's toxic, I don't think anyone will disagree with me on that. There is a bell curve of what people are willing and able to spend on PC hardware. If I was a betting man I'd say that the peak is currently the people with $600-800 to spend on a graphics cards. It's not a small amound of change and those are really the only people I hear complaining about the price of graphics cards.

Well it looks like the price floor what the 7900XT can be sold to partners at and still remain profitable is about $600, then partners need to make money and the retailers need to make money. We likely wont see cards like the 7900XT go below $700 this generation. It'll only be after that when they're sitting on shelves. Moores Law is Dead recently stated that AMD is selling the 7900xt to board partners at $720-730 wholesale and it's selling for around $800 retail.

What people think the card is worth and with actually costs to produce so that everyone in the pipeline can take their chunk of change are 2 totally different things. While nVidia tried to use the "moores law is over, everything is this is expensive now" to justify there prices, things are indeed more expensive. There is a very real price floor to these products where it is no longer worth a companies time to make them
Still, in order to shake up the current market, the prices will need to be that low. RDNA3 does not really have any features that make it greatly more desirable than RDNA2, so performance is all you can go by. With what is already in the market, they cannot come out with a $650 7800XT and expect it to sell when the 6950 XT is already available at as low as $600. $500 maybe, but getting it under the 4070 is the best bet from a sales perspective. If costs are a limitation to this then these GPUs will not shake up the market or really increase AMD market share.

So here is how AMD can emerge as the champions...Bring back Crossfire and Multi GPU support for the games and in your software, that will shake up the market, so then you can get 2 mid range cards and not need one ridiculously expensive high end card.

So here is how AMD can emerge as the champions...Bring back Crossfire and Multi GPU support for the games and in your software, that will shake up the market, so then you can get 2 mid range cards and not need one ridiculously expensive high end card.
The reason why multi-GPU support has fallen away is down to how modern games do all of the rendering. For example, TAA requires access to buffers of previously completed frames and motion vectors, stored in the GPU's local memory. Unfortunately, with each processor taking turns to render sequential frames, that previous data is no longer local, and each chip is completely unaware of the other's RAM. So games would have to instruct the drivers to copy all necessary buffers from one GPU to another, correctly queued and synchronized to ensure the latency hit is as small as possible.

In short, it's a lot of extra work for a very small section of the game's userbase. There are other ways to do rendering (e.g. object space rendering) that greatly helps to minimize such issues, but the industry as a whole is dead set on deferred rendering, with all the focus being on a single GPU system (I.e. consoles).

Besides, AMD, Intel, and Nvidia want you to buy their ridiculously expensive high-end cards -- they're not going to actively seek a way for you to get the same performance by spending less money.

The sheeps are hoping amd release new cards so nvidia would cut prices so they can buy nvidia cards.
Hey, I trademarked that fact! :cool:

Anyone able to link to information or share insight regrading the Hardware issues with the AMD RDNA 7900s ?
First im hearing of this thanks.
Let me join that club, because its the same situation for me.

Still, in order to shake up the current market, the prices will need to be that low. RDNA3 does not really have any features that make it greatly more desirable than RDNA2, so performance is all you can go by. With what is already in the market, they cannot come out with a $650 7800XT and expect it to sell when the 6950 XT is already available at as low as $600. $500 maybe, but getting it under the 4070 is the best bet from a sales perspective. If costs are a limitation to this then these GPUs will not shake up the market or really increase AMD market share.

Understand that Navi21 is only a placeholder, until Navi32 lands, which is smaller and cost less to make than the larger 6950xt (navi21). Giving AMD more margins and market leeway.

Bringing along with it RDNA3 features:
60ea4e561443730dd591c920b109f847bbd8f44719f2fc4ba74943ea7628cc84.png

Understand that Navi21 is only a placeholder, until Navi32 lands, which is smaller and cost less to make than the larger 6950xt (navi21). Giving AMD more margins and market leeway.

Bringing along with it RDNA3 features:
60ea4e561443730dd591c920b109f847bbd8f44719f2fc4ba74943ea7628cc84.png
The problem is that the 7800 XT will only be about 10-15% faster than the 6800 XT, which you can get new right now for $510. It will also be less powerful than the 6950 XT, which you can get right now for $610. They can't charge $650 for this card. Especially when you consider that it is really more of a successor for the 6700 XT (54 CUs) as 6800 XT (72 CUs) was Navi 21 and 7800 XT (60 CUs) is Navi 32. $500 is the max the 7800 XT should be sold for, the 6700 XT was $479.

AMD cards are the better deal for no-frills gaming. But there are applications that benefit from Nvidia's tensor cores, and there AMD is just not competing. In my opinion, though, if they threw in more FP64 flops, that would have the potential to really shake up the market.

The problem is that the 7800 XT will only be about 10-15% faster than the 6800 XT, which you can get new right now for $510. It will also be less powerful than the 6950 XT, which you can get right now for $610. They can't charge $650 for this card. Especially when you consider that it is really more of a successor for the 6700 XT (54 CUs) as 6800 XT (72 CUs) was Navi 21 and 7800 XT (60 CUs) is Navi 32. $500 is the max the 7800 XT should be sold for, the 6700 XT was $479.
People will buy the card and it's for the absolute dumbest reason but I see it in the comments section all the time. "I have $XXX to spend but I don't want to buy a last gen card"

I'm more worried about price to performance more than anything. So, yeah, I'm with you on buying a 6950xt or something.

Back