AMD CPUs remain more popular than Intel's among Puget Systems' workstation customers

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Custom PC builder Puget Systems has released its latest report on the distribution of Intel and AMD CPUs in the workstations it sells, and it's more good news for AMD. Team red's processors continue to be found in around six out of every ten systems sold by the company, which temporarily dropped AMD CPUs from its configurations in 2015 because they were so unpopular. As we all know, Lisa Su's firm has come a long way since then.

In its latest State of the CPU report, Puget System's William George writes that June saw AMD processors packed into 60% of the workstations it sold, while Intel's were in 40%. That's a one percent increase for AMD compared to February, and it looks as if Intel will lose more ground to its rival in July.

Another interesting stat is that 59% (32 in total) of the builder's recommended configurations are AMD workstations, while there are 22 Intel options, mirroring the pair's sales split. "The ratio there almost exactly matches the 60:40 split we are seeing these days in actual sales, which is fascinating since some of these systems are far more popular than others," writes George.

It's not just Puget Systems where AMD is taking the lead. Ryzen processors continue to dominate Amazon's best-selling CPU chart, holding eight places in the top ten. Intel's highest entry, the Core i5-10600K, is at number seven. And this is all despite availability issues stemming from the strain put on TSMC's manufacturing processes due to huge demand.

One area that hasn't been as positive for AMD is the Steam Hardware survey. After months of chipping away at Intel's CPU lead and finally passing a 30% share in May, AMD lost ground in June, experiencing a decline of -1.72%. But the last time AMD saw a fall—December 2020—it was followed by five months of gains.

Permalink to story.

And I bet this fills Techspot with glee.

But the party will be over soon. Anyone seen the Alder lake leaks? RIP Ryzen.

<p>One area that hasn't been as positive for AMD is the Steam Hardware survey. After months of chipping away at Intel's CPU lead and finally passing a 30% share in May, AMD <a href="https://www.techspot.com/news/90282-amd-cpus-lose-ground-intel-latest-steam-survey.html">lost ground in June</a>, experiencing a decline of -1.72%. But the last time AMD saw a fall—December 2020—it was followed by five months of gains.</p><p><a rel='alternate' href='https://www.techspot.com/news/90531-amd-cpus-remain-more-popular-than-intel-among.html' target='_blank'>Permalink to story.</a></p><p class='permalink'><a rel='alternate' href='https://www.techspot.com/news/90531-amd-cpus-remain-more-popular-than-intel-among.html'>https://www.techspot.com/news/90531-amd-cpus-remain-more-popular-than-intel-among.html</a></p>[/parsehtml]
Who cares about Steam Hardware survey? Even mentioning that crap on news is pure trolling.
Well, first: those "leaks" only talk about numbers, no screenshots or anything to prove. Secondly, Cinebench makes use of AVX, something AMD does not bother to support very well. Even Alder Lake scores are correct, they could be explained by faster AVX clocks.

If alder lake really is as strong as rumors state, AMD will likely suffer some market share loss. Maybe not dramatic, but a strong 12900k will likely do well in the market place, assuming it’s readily available and at an affordable price.

Intel were always going to bounce back in the CPU wars. AMD on the other hand might just do what they did last time they got beat and go hide in a bush for 10 years, allowing consumers to suffer.

If alder lake really is as strong as rumors state, AMD will likely suffer some market share loss. Maybe not dramatic, but a strong 12900k will likely do well in the market place, assuming it’s readily available and at an affordable price.

AMD can just release the CPUs with 3D cache as a stop gap until they have the AM5 platform ready. A 15% average improvement in games will be enough till late 2022, especially if they remain compatible with AM4.

I'm assuming that the DDR5 memory is also playing a role in the numbers Alder Lake is getting in the leaks (if the leaks are to be believed).

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that Techspot is pro AMD?.......
Haven't you noticed that trolls tend to be fanboys of Intel and/or nVidia? It would seem that they appreciate corporations that act like arseholes.
I've seen the leaks, it's nothing impressive considering that Zen is going to be a year old soon
Zen is going to be how old? Methinks you made a typo because it's over four years old. :laughing:
That greatly depends on the degree of hate that the enthusiast-class has towards Intel for their past transgressions. I wouldn't buy an Intel CPU even if it only cost $20.
I‘d say they aren‘t pro any camp. Being accused by cheerleaders from all teams to be ‚pro the other team‘ is a pretty good indicator of that.
Yeah, it's just a bunch of Intel fanboys whining because Ryzen gets very favourable reviews here. That's just because Ryzen is better and also because Steve has always recommended value over total performance which is more difficult to assess but makes far more sense. Anyone interested only in total performance need only read the graphs.

I keep telling my kid to take it as a compliment if a dumb*ss tries to insult him - it is.
I totally agree. There is no bigger compliment than when stupid people think of you as "the other".

Last edited:
Yeah, it's just a bunch of Intel fanboys whining because Ryzen gets very favourable reviews here. That's just because Ryzen is better and also because Steve has always recommended value over total performance which is more difficult to assess but makes far more sense. Anyone interested only in total performance need only read the graphs.
Yet they still recommended Intel CPU as great bang for buck choices, so pretty even.

While I do not necessarily agree fully with that considering total platform cost, a cheap 10400 does indeed offer excellent price/perf for gaming and everyday use.

That rumor is based on a Twitter post and not even a screenshot.... keep your pants on.

Are you suggesting that Techspot is pro AMD?.......

I've seen the leaks, it's nothing impressive considering that Zen is going to be a year old soon

lol intel fan boys gonna fan boy.

Yet they still recommended Intel CPU as great bang for buck choices, so pretty even.

While I do not necessarily agree fully with that considering total platform cost, a cheap 10400 does indeed offer excellent price/perf for gaming and everyday use.
I was referring to their stance over the last four years in which Ryzen and Radeon have typically been much better values than Core and GeForce. it might make someone who's a relative noob (less than four years of experience) think that TechSpot is pro-AMD.

Or they're butt-hurt Intel and/or nVidia fanboys looking to whine about anything that they can come up with. :laughing:

Haven't you noticed that trolls tend to be fanboys of Intel and/or nVidia? It would seem that they appreciate corporations that act like arseholes.

Zen is going to be how old? Methinks you made a typo because it's over four years old. :laughing:

That greatly depends on the degree of hate that the enthusiast-class has towards Intel for their past transgressions. I wouldn't buy an Intel CPU even if it only cost $20.

I totally agree. There is no bigger compliment than when stupid people think of you as "the other".

Yeah I did forgot to put 3 there 😅😅 all fixed now 👌

Yeah that's exactly what happened... I'm sure them almost going bankrupt mostly because of Intel had nothing to do with it.... :joy: :joy:
I find it funny how anyone could blame AMD for the suffering that Intel inflicted upon consumers. To avoid the suffering that Intel inflicted upon consumers back in the day, I just didn't buy Intel. I guess that they hadn't thought of something so "ingenious", eh? :laughing:

I find it funny how anyone could blame AMD for the suffering that Intel inflicted upon consumers. To avoid the suffering that Intel inflicted upon consumers back in the day, I just didn't buy Intel. I guess that they hadn't thought of something so "ingenious", eh? :laughing:

Don't expect logical thinking from Brand bias fan boys their minds doesn't work like that.

Obligatory:

f45547709d06abf2fac016ee49255a4fef66d13054da2884bea08f8cb8eb89d6.gif

Same here, I was on FX8320 but it was a lemon so I later on got the 8350 and even had the 9590, later on I upgraded to 2700X then 5800X and eventually after 7 or 8 years I bought my first brand new Intel CPU the i9 10850K as it was a really good deal 😅

Intel were always going to bounce back in the CPU wars. AMD on the other hand might just do what they did last time they got beat and go hide in a bush for 10 years, allowing consumers to suffer.
I think AMD running and hiding shouting "Oh Noooooo. Intel" is as remote a possibility as AMD hiring the dolt behind Bulldozer as CEO again. Rory Reed was a technically clueless business wonk. Lisa Su, on the other hand, has far more technical and business sense than Rory Reed ever had. I am sure she welcomes the challenge especially since several subsequent generations of Zen are in the pipeline at AMD.

Besides, the competition will keep prices in line for consumers.

Of course it‘s all AMD‘s fault - it‘s not like Intel made sure it was extremely difficult to buy an Athlon based PC….oh, wait…..

Of course it‘s all AMD‘s fault - it‘s not like Intel made sure it was extremely difficult to buy an Athlon based PC….oh, wait…..
Came to say this!

Intel and Dell were both found guilty of this, Intel bribed the hell out of Dell to never carry an AMD CPU.

Hell, you could say that the same thing is happening today, since the most lucrative line of computers for Dell are the business one (Latitude laptops, Optiplex desktops and Precision workstations) and none of them comes with one damned Ryzen CPU.

Came to say this!

Intel and Dell were both found guilty of this, Intel bribed the hell out of Dell to never carry an AMD CPU.

Hell, you could say that the same thing is happening today, since the most lucrative line of computers for Dell are the business one (Latitude laptops, Optiplex desktops and Precision workstations) and none of them comes with one damned Ryzen CPU.
As a matter of fact, in their advertising, Dell says "Be sure to order Intel CPUs" or something to that effect. It makes me sick but you know what, anyone who buys a Dell is a complete fool and so they deserve whatever they get.

Came to say this!

In Germany they even paid the largest electronic retailers (Saturn and Media Markt) to not carry any AMD based system.

Then there was the ‚Mystery shopper‘ program in the US where they paid sales assistants a bonus if they‘d recommend an Intel based system to one of their mystery shoppers. Don‘t think that was possible without the stores‘ consent.

Back