AMD graphic card 5800 series - ati radeon 5850 toxic freezing

"Do you want to configure?" What? I want the specs of the motherboard so I can tell what drivers are needed...

Last edited:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TOMASB
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model H55M-USB3
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 2661 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 6. 1. 2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Česká republika
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.17196"
User Name TomasB\Snowkill
Time Zone Central Europe Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12,0 GB
Available Physical Memory 10,1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13,8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11,8 GB
Page File Space 1,81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

sorry for misundsanding

That thread concerns the powerplay issue that plagued the Evergreen series when it first came out. The fix was a revised BIOS that altered 2D voltage parameters ( I had the same issue with my 5850's at the time).
If you have recently acquired the card, might pay to check the BIOS revision. There is a chance that the card was manufactured early (prior to Feb/March 2010) and never received a BIOS update which should be available from Sapphire support if the card is a Toxic model.
If the card does have a later BIOS revision then it could be any number of things depending upon when the grey screen and freezes occur (2D or 3D load for example). If they are happening under 3D loading (I.e. games) then the cause could be PSU, card failure (or at least unable to hold the factory OC - you can check this by reducing clocks and test to see if it still occurs), or motherboard/PCI-E slot voltage issues.

Heh, and where to find newer bios?

evergreen only when I'm working with Photoshop or video on youtube, etc., in the games I've never done it.

Heh, and where to find newer bios?
As I said in my previous post:
. There is a chance that the card was manufactured early (prior to Feb/March 2010) and never received a BIOS update which should be available from Sapphire support if the card is a Toxic model.
Sapphire support.

Before contacting them, ascertain what BIOS the card is already using. If you don't know how to access this information, download GPU-Z, run the utilty, the BIOS version will be evident in the screen such as this example
gpuz_def.png

If you require a BIOS update, Sapphire will email you a revised BIOS, the BIOS update utility, and instructions on how to accomplish the BIOS update process.

I have another bios than on Picture.
It was an example for illustrative purposes.
the BIOS version will be evident in the screen such as this example

Please do not know how to contact them?
You had difficulty pressing a button on a website page? When you press the button it takes you to this page. It has email addresses and phone numbers for support enquiries.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if the BIOS needs updating, you may be better served taking the computer into a computer sales/repair shop and have them do it. It isn't a particularly difficult operation, but if you screw it up, you'll most likely brick the card.

Thank you so much, I wrote them an email, or should I go to a service let me install the newer bios?

Back