AMD identifies and solves cross-platform USB connectivity problem with an AGESA update

mongeese

Staff
TL;DR: After a few weeks of deliberation, AMD has solved the intermittent USB connectivity problem as reported by many users. An AGESA update containing the fix will be sent to motherboard manufacturers next week, and it will be up to them from there. AMD estimates that the first beta BIOS with the fix will be available in early April.

Reports of sudden USB disconnections and poor signal quality on AMD X570 and B550 motherboards starting becoming commonplace on Reddit at the end of last year. Three weeks ago, AMD finally acknowledged the problem and began collecting information from the afflicted. The severity of the problem was shown to fluctuate randomly, but the likelihood of its occurrence was correlated with taxing hardware like new GPUs and VR headsets.

AMD hasn’t stated what the problem was unfortunately, but one Redditor suggests that the cause could be a "timing issue trying to synchronize USB signaling with the faster symbol rates of PCIe 4.0," while another thinks it might be caused by "a controller reset triggered due to too many uncorrectable PCIe errors."

Given that Redditors found a workaround that was good enough for AMD to recommend, their comments shouldn’t be quickly dismissed.

Updated AGESA Coming for Intermittent USB Connectivity from r/Amd

If you’ve experienced the problem, put a reminder in your calendar for next month to check for an updated BIOS from your motherboard’s manufacturer.

Permalink to story.

An AGESA update is proof enough that this is indeed a CPU/Architecture issue or are AMD Enthusiasts going to find out a way to say it's still somehow just all in the user's mind or their fault somehow?

An AGESA update is proof enough that this is indeed a CPU/Architecture issue or are AMD Enthusiasts going to find out a way to say it's still somehow just all in the user's mind or their fault somehow?

Given the opinions of 'AMD Enthusiasts' are completely irrelevant and have no real-world consequences, I don't recommend wasting time worrying about them. AMD's addressing the issue, so that's a good thing, and I'm sure AMD users who are stuffing from these USB issues will be extremely pleased once it's solved.

I think it's pretty awesome timing, actually. I'm pretty neutral of AMD versus Intel, but the last 15 years AMD had nothing that interested me. Last year at the end of September, I scored a RTX 3090 on launch day, and put in my 4 year old i7 7700K system and it ran pretty well, but noticeably below the averages put out by chips like 10700K and 5800X.

When it came down to it, with Rocket Lake about to launch in a few weeks I had a choice, wait for that, or jump now on a 5800X now that I can get one for MSRP. The weighed pros and cons were, AMD is suffering a USB problem, but I expect a fairly quick fix for it, versus Intel's backported architecture causing a die size significantly larger than it's predecessor while having 2 less cores.

The likely heat output of the upcoming 11700K with that big of a die was simply off-putting. And won't be a quick fix, that will be a normal operating function of the CPU for it's entire life. I cannot fit a 360mm rad based AIO in my case, so the limit of 240mm and available now, equal performance roughly to Rocket Lake, that kind of aced it. AMD it is.

So this timing is really perfect for me. My new parts arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday, so will have time to get everything up and running and settled in before the bios update comes out. In the meantime, I will make sure to put everything on the USB 3.0 bus instead of the 2.0. Problem solved, at least temporarily.

Really kinda reminds me of the southbridge issue on P67 where SATA 2.0 was unstable but SATA 3.0 was fine. I just never used the SATA 2 ports, ignored them completely, lol. The motherboard manufacturer recalled the board and I ignored the recall. No point to sending it in, I didn't need the 2.0 ports. I had enough ports on 3.0 to address my needs.

Dont worry about the AMD Enthusiasts

How dare you!?

What is this blasphemy!?

All Hail Our Holy Lady Dr Lisa Su!

/s in case...

Joke aside, that is cool that they were able to fix via software, instead of either recalling all mobos or worse, placing their customers on a spot that they needed to replace hardware at their own expense.

Good timing, just about have all my parts for my new X570 based build.

And you have good timing building an X570 + 5000 series CPU setup right now since MSRP on the CPU is back, and SSD's prices have not inflated yet as they will in the next month or so. A full build up right now is a prime time to snag good deals on parts. 5800X nailed for $449.99 and 32Gb of good ram for just under 170. Got the PCIe 4.0 Corsair MP600 for 99 bucks, great deal, IMO.

I LEAPED on the purchase button while I have the funds and SSD prices are still low. 10-15% price hike on everything with flash in it coming soon due to Samsung S2 plant getting frozen in my home state. Sorry 'bout that, folks. We Texans screwed this one up, we'll try to do better next time.

Given the opinions of 'AMD Enthusiasts' are completely irrelevant and have no real-world consequences, I don't recommend wasting time worrying about them. AMD's addressing the issue, so that's a good thing, and I'm sure AMD users who are stuffing from these USB issues will be extremely pleased once it's solved.

Amen.

Quick question: Will your GPU driver bottleneck video make it as an article on Techspot? Seems like tech sites aren‘t really picking up on it, just YT and Twitter.

Oh, and what would be really cool is revisiting some Zen 1 and + vs their Core counterpart using a 1080Ti and a 5700XT. I‘m really curious if the gap between them is the same with both GPU.

The best way to get a new system today is to go for 5600x, which is only $299 on Amazon now, which is the best-value Ryzen 9 right now. You can later upgrade it all the way to 5950x when prices return to sanity.

It is no proof, especially if the issue can be fixed with just a firmware update. And I'm reading kind of prejudice to AMD here.

Amen.

Quick question: Will your GPU driver bottleneck video make it as an article on Techspot? Seems like tech sites aren‘t really picking up on it, just YT and Twitter.

Oh, and what would be really cool is revisiting some Zen 1 and + vs their Core counterpart using a 1080Ti and a 5700XT. I‘m really curious if the gap between them is the same with both GPU.

The content was much better suited to video, so we won't be trying to adapt it for written form.

The content was much better suited to video, so we won't be trying to adapt it for written form.
😢 That‘s a shame....is this something you‘ll keep in mind when doing tests of budget CPU in the future? Might be a good idea to use two different GPU for at least some tests (I know, I‘m being greedy here as that would mean even more work.

Quick question: What do you think how a 2700X would be affected? Still want to upgrade the GPU eventually but now I‘m not sure what to pick.

I need to correct my above post after further research into the AMD USB bug. I had it backwards when I said I need to just use the USB 3.0 ports to avoid the USB 2.0 bug. Apparently the bug is not 2.0 versus 3.0 like the old P67 SATA bug at all, but it purely a bandwidth issue and is actually REVERSED for the fix...

In short, USB 3.0 is the source of problems that manifests for even 2.0 devices trying to run on it IF the PCIe 4 bus is already loaded up with high bandwidth devices like a 3090 and M.2 drive or capture card, or whatever. The attempted fix is to force run everything at USB 2.0 mode until the new bios comes out as running USB 3.0 mode with a busy PCIe 4.0 bus causes some kind of timing issue.

Using the USB 2.0 bus, and lowering PCIe to 3.0 mode apparently mitigates the timing issue somehow, so this is kinda the opposite of the P67 SATA bug.

At least this should hold me over till the bios update comes out. Since I picked the Asus TUF X570-Plus, and Asus keeps it's TUF line very up to date for firmware releases, my wait for the real fix won't be terribly long at all. I have patience.

The best way to get a new system today is to go for 5600x, which is only $299 on Amazon now, which is the best-value Ryzen 9 right now. You can later upgrade it all the way to 5950x when prices return to sanity.

It is no proof, especially if the issue can be fixed with just a firmware update. And I'm reading kind of prejudice to AMD here.
That's.....really dumb, fiscally speaking. You may as well just buy a 5950x when you can find one, considering the extra amount you'd spend on a 5600x initially.

A 5950x MSRP is $750, right now they are going for about ~$1100. a 5600x is MSRP at $300.

So at MSRP you'll spend $1050. Right now you can buy one for $1090. Is a year+ wait REALLY worth $40? Keep in mind you'll be paying shipping on 2 CPUs instead of 1, so it'll likely end up a wash.

Last edited:
That's.....really dumb, fiscally speaking. You may as well just buy a 5950x when you can find one, considering the extra amount you'd spend on a 5600x initially.

A 5950x MSRP is $750, right now they are going for about ~$1100. a 5600x is MSRP at $300.

So at MSRP you'll spend $1050. Right now you can buy one for $1090. Is a year+ wait REALLY worth $40? Keep in mind you'll be paying shipping on 2 CPUs instead of 1, so it'll likely end up a wash.
Adding to this and might be illogical, but given the big possibility that the next gen of cpus will use a new socket and even better Zen core, I would try to hold on until.

one good reason is that if AMD does the same type of support as they did for AM4, it would give the customer a better chance to keep that new motherboard for a longer time.

assuming that it’s possible and reasonable for the customer

One can wait forever, or take the plunge when the plunging is good. Right now, due to the whole industry just being WHACK, buying parts to build a PC depends on a lot more than just the CPU MSRP.

Waiting 3 weeks for Rocket Lake for example might give you good performance per dollar spent, not minding the steep cooling requirements, but that 3 week delay could hurt IF you were buying all parts in one go. Things like SSDs are about to make a major price jump. Motherboards and power supplies are as well, pretty much the entire support spectrum of parts are impacted by the component supply problems.

If one is planning on waiting to build their new core platform, I would suggest jumping ahead and snagging things like your M.2 of choice and maybe memory as well as soon as possible, just to be safe. If you have to sit on the parts for a couple of weeks, better that than paying inflated prices when you jump onto Rocket Lake.

Just my 2 cents for Intel fans. Better to be forewarned.

Edit: For reference, I am not implying by reference of speaking to Intel fans that I am not one, or an AMD fan or hater. I happen to like both. Sue me. I will switch between them without a second thought to which is which as long as they perform well. 15 years of using only Intel (and using exclusively AMD before that for 10 years) does not mean I have any regrets about making the jump to AMD now, or back to Intel when Alder Lake comes out if it's tasty. IF it's tasty is the biggy here. DDR5 and PCIe 5 do sound juicy though, but Zen 4 is supposed to have those too... We'll find out when we get there!

Last edited:

According to your dumb math...

5600x is now selling for $299, while I cannot find 5950x anywhere for less than $1250, which is $500 over MSRP. This fall new platform is coming, and 5950x will drop to where 3950x now is, way below $600, because DDR5 is expected to be finally introduced.

Expect 5950x available this fall for around $500, so if you really need one, you can save a lot of money, while in the meantime, you can have perfectly good and compatible system with 5600x, without overpaying. Also, you can sell your 5600x, if needs to be. So you can save at least $750, based on the current situation, and not $40 according to your fictional math.

AMD allegedly* fixes it. We won't know for sure until it's rolled out and verified in practice.

And were there AMD fanatics blaming the people who were having issues? I never saw one, and IME that kind of behaviour is usually only typical of Apple cultists.

AMD allegedly* fixes it. We won't know for sure until it's rolled out and verified in practice.

And were there AMD fanatics blaming the people who were having issues? I never saw one, and IME that kind of behaviour is usually only typical of Apple cultists.

Every group has those though. Extremists come in all brands and formfactors.

According to your dumb math...

5600x is now selling for $299, while I cannot find 5950x anywhere for less than $1250, which is $500 over MSRP. This fall new platform is coming, and 5950x will drop to where 3950x now is, way below $600, because DDR5 is expected to be finally introduced.

Expect 5950x available this fall for around $500, so if you really need one, you can save a lot of money, while in the meantime, you can have perfectly good and compatible system with 5600x, without overpaying. Also, you can sell your 5600x, if needs to be. So you can save at least $750, based on the current situation, and not $40 according to your fictional math.

You will not see a 5950X at $500 by fall.

Hell you can't even get a 3950X for that price now.

You will not see a 5950X at $500 by fall.

Hell you can't even get a 3950X for that price now.
First, the CPU market will oversaturate for the start of the pre-school season. Second, initial DDR5 products are slated for Q3 2021. When this happens, prices for previous gen CPU-s are likely to collapse.

First, the CPU market will oversaturate for the start of the pre-school season. Second, initial DDR5 products are slated for Q3 2021. When this happens, prices for previous gen CPU-s are likely to collapse.

Why would they collapse? Supply and demand is going nowhere and no one is suddenly going to start supplying way more products.
Right now almost nothing can be purchased because no one has stock or when they do have stock its like 10 units at a time.
Once manufacturing stops on an older product it just gets worse, no new supply with the same demand.

I've NEVER in the last 10 years seen any second hand CPU or GPU's sold on ebay for a remotely good price. It's always 90% or 100% of original MSRP and within 80% of a brand new next gen way faster product.

Honestly the market for older computer gear is just sad.

Not happening. Not this year, and probably not even next. IF supply ever gets ahead of demand again for current generation CPUs and GPUs, it won't be before 2024 when the dust settles and something like "normality", whatever that really is, might set in. Until then, prices and availability will remain a crap shoot at best, a lottery on average, and just plain pipe dream the rest of the time.

This IS the new normal. For now and into the near future at least. Nvidia relaunching 1050 Ti and 2060 are prime examples of the supply desperation.

And you have good timing building an X570 + 5000 series CPU setup right now since MSRP on the CPU is back, and SSD's prices have not inflated yet as they will in the next month or so. A full build up right now is a prime time to snag good deals on parts. 5800X nailed for $449.99 and 32Gb of good ram for just under 170. Got the PCIe 4.0 Corsair MP600 for 99 bucks, great deal, IMO.

I LEAPED on the purchase button while I have the funds and SSD prices are still low. 10-15% price hike on everything with flash in it coming soon due to Samsung S2 plant getting frozen in my home state. Sorry 'bout that, folks. We Texans screwed this one up, we'll try to do better next time.

Actually I skipped 5000 series, in Australia the only one in supply was 5800X and at nearly $800 vs $450-500 for the 3700X I went for the 3700X which I actually got for only $420. The difference paid for my MB. I will swap out the 3700X for a 5000 series CPU down the track when supply and prices are sensible. Same reason I got a second hand RTX 2080 Super, prices for current gen cards as we know are insane and AMD GPUs are non-existent. I will now wait for RTX4000 or RT7000 cards.

Back