AMD may include AIO liquid coolers with Ryzen Threadripper CPUs

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

For as long as I can remember, AMD has tried to one-up Intel when it comes to value. For those who love building their own rigs, AMD used to offer more bang for the buck which is why many enthusiasts favor them. But for almost a decade they've been void of a winning product that could challenge Intel, until Ryzen of course.

We recently pointed out why the Ryzen Threadripper line should be no different, albeit at the very high-end segment. And again, something we haven't seen from AMD in a long, long time.

Intel’s Core i9-7900X gives you a 10-core/20-thread CPU for $1000. Compared with the Threadripper 1950X, you get a 16-core/32-thread workhorse for the same price. Even the $800 1920X has two more cores than Intel’s offering. There are a few thing we still don’t know about AMD’s latest processing monsters, but they look to outpower the i9 7900X in most areas.

According to Japanese website, Hermitage Akihabara, both the 1950X and the 1920X will come "standard" with an all-in-one CPU water cooler. The site did not specify whether or not the added cooler would change the $1000 and $800 (respective) asking price.

Back in 2014, AMD included a $65 water-cooling kit with the 5GHz FX-9590, which had a 220W TDP. The bundled price shaved about 40 percent of the cost of buying the cooler separately. Both Threadripper chips have a 180W TDP, so will not run quite as hot as the FX-9590, but the added cooling should help to keep the CPUs under their thermal budget and run quieter, even when taxed.

Pre-orders for Threadripper will start July 27 with the chips shipping in early August. As long as the bundled cooler is an added value, picking up the 1950X or 1920X should be a no-brainer for those planning an HEDT build.

Permalink to story.

Intel: We're going to use thermal paste under the lid.

AMD: Who wants an AIO?

Intel is done, folks. They torpedoed the i9 series like Microsoft torpedoed the Xbox One.

Except at the moment AMD showed that the software side is fine. And things that needed updates got those updates.
Any software optimisations from now on for AMD will just make the deal even sweeter. #finewine :D
While I agree that most of the kinks for Ryzen are smoothed over "fine wine" doesn't exist; you're confusing poor optimization out of the box for aging well.

Intel: We're going to use thermal paste under the lid.

AMD: Who wants an AIO?

Intel is done, folks. They torpedoed the i9 series like Microsoft torpedoed the Xbox One.
I am sure if you look at units moved for Intel processors in laptops/ultrabooks versus the sales of desktop home builders you'd amend that statement.

While I agree that most of the kinks for Ryzen are smoothed over "fine wine" doesn't exist; you're confusing poor optimization out of the box for aging well.
pretty sure that it's the same thing. if you are getting now this much then you'll get more after optimisations. we can already see this in some new compiler versions, software updates and in many games (including rise of the tomb raider which got a big uplift with a patch)
the idea isn't that it's unoptimised, it's that you are already getting a good deal and the fact that it can become even better with time.

Last edited:
pretty sure that it's the same thing. if you are getting now this much then you'll get more after optimisations. we can already see this in some new compiler versions, software updates and in many games (including rise of the tomb raider which got a big uplift with a patch)
the idea isn't that it's unoptimised, it's that you are already getting a good deal and the fact that it can become even better with time.
That's not the same thing - waiting sometimes over a year to reach peak performance shouldn't be celebrated at all. The Ryzen RoTR patch was for a more than year and a half old game when it was released.

That's impressive while also being irrelevant since the player base for the game has shrunk significantly since launch. Perhaps there was a tiny group of people who upgraded to Ryzen whilst simultaneously holding off on playing RoTR, a 15-30 hour experience.

I am sure if you look at units moved for Intel processors in laptops/ultrabooks versus the sales of desktop home builders you'd amend that statement.

Amend what? I am specifically talking about the i9 and Threadripper lineups.

Was that sarcasm?

Not sarcasm. AMD missed the target once again. Who else is incompetent enough to screw up HBM and water cooling?

And Vega is rumoured to be $699, so how many gamers do you think are going to pay that? With HBM and AMDs most expensive AIO to date, discounts won't be a profitable option.

Ryzen is for the 20%.
Vega is hot and over priced.
You'll soon realize this.

Not sarcasm. AMD missed the target once again. Who else is incompetent enough to screw up HBM and water cooling?

And Vega is rumoured to be $699, so how many gamers do you think are going to pay that? With HBM and AMDs most expensive AIO to date, discounts won't be a profitable option.

Ryzen is for the 20%.
Vega is hot and over priced.
You'll soon realize this.

Wait, what?! Are you talking about Vega with that HBM reference? Why bring Vega into the table, is not even the topic here. Yes, AMD entirely missed the target against NVIDIA, months ago; but that is other discussion. AMD vs Intel is another playing field. Intel hasn't improved and put as much pressure on AMD as NVIDIA has for the last 5 years.

Including an AIO for Threadripper isn't a red flag, is an additional incentive over Intel's counterparts. We've seen Zen doing better both in thermal and power consumption core per core against Skylake-X/SP.

...People are actually defending Post-Ryzen Intel?
I am not reading defense per se. Ryzen is great for what it is: a high core/thread desktop/production/workstation CPU.

I haven't seen Ryzen tablet/laptop CPUs out in the wild though. While it's good to see AMD win market share in the desktop space as far as sales go laptops and portables seem to outsell desktops.

...People are actually defending Post-Ryzen Intel?

It is just hahahanoobs who is defending Intel but he is a known troll account when it comes to AMD news.

Threadripper is looking pretty great and will be my next work PC.

Wait, what?! Are you talking about Vega with that HBM reference? Why bring Vega into the table, is not even the topic here. Yes, AMD entirely missed the target against NVIDIA, months ago; but that is other discussion. AMD vs Intel is another playing field. Intel hasn't improved and put as much pressure on AMD as NVIDIA has for the last 5 years.

Including an AIO for Threadripper isn't a red flag, is an additional incentive over Intel's counterparts. We've seen Zen doing better both in thermal and power consumption core per core against Skylake-X/SP.

AIO is an incentive?! Sure if you ignore the fact that the AIO exists to keep core clocks stable - AT STOCK!

Vega RX - is a $699 GTX 1080. No one is going to buy it.
Ryzen - is not for the majority of gamers and non-gamers.
Threadripper - same as Ryzen
Epyc - Where are the purchase orders???

AIO is an incentive?! Sure if you ignore the fact that the AIO exists to keep core clocks stable - AT STOCK!

Vega RX - is a $699 GTX 1080. No one is going to buy it.
Ryzen - is not for the majority of gamers and non-gamers.
Threadripper - same as Ryzen
Epyc - Where are the purchase orders???
We don't know yet the final numbers for RX Vega so you can't possibly know the price yet.

Nobody cares that ryzen isn't for the majority and nobody expects it to be for the majority. If it beats Intel in many benchmarks and in the perf/$ then people will buy it (the 1600 and 1700 are already smash hits which are only beaten in some stores by the 7700k and 7600k)

Threadripper is indeed called Ryzen (it's in it's name) but it's a beast of a chip for workstations. Its perf/$ makes intel look like they are crap.

Why are we even talking about Epyc orders when most companies don't announce to the media when they buy new servers and server adoption cycles are very slow? We know for sure that Microsoft and Baidu will build Epyc servers. AMD shares went up significantly after unveiling Epyc (intel shares went down). Nobody freaking buys servers at launch day. First off OEMs need to ramp up production and that will take at least till 2018. You don't go to AMD to buy servers.

Here are a few small quotes from an article about Epyc after it's launch:
- "The world’s largest server manufacturers introduced products based on AMD EPYC 7000-series processors at today’s launch, including HPE, Dell, Asus, Gigabyte, Inventec, Lenovo, Sugon, Supermicro, Tyan, and Wistron."
- "Primary hypervisor and server operating system providers Microsoft, Red Hat, and VMware showcased optimized support for EPYC, while key server hardware ecosystem partners Mellanox, Samsung Electronics, and Xilinx were also featured in EPYC-optimized platforms."
- "Datacenter and cloud service providers also welcomed EPYC to the market today. Members of the “Super 7” datacenter services providers, including Baidu and Microsoft Azure, as well as 1&1, Bloomberg, Dropbox and LexisNexis, all voiced their support at launch."

Last edited:

Yes, yes it is. I bought an AIO 280mm cooler after buying my 5930K; if AMD had an hypothetical equivalent of it, at a lower price, with the cooler included in the price, then it is an incentive. Feel free to check my profile info before you stamp an AMD fanboy label on me.

* No discussion on Vega. For me RTG is taking bad business decisions one after the other.
* Not going to discuss anything regarding Zen lineup since I don't have any numbers (market share, sales, or else).

They're collapsing over there at AMD. This is getting ridiculous now.
I don't understand how you troll every post about AMD yet never get comments deleted or banned?
You're actually the one going ad hominem on another member. Should your posts be deleted, and you be banned? :p
I would ask, "who died and left you in charge"? But that's just plain silly.

With your 30 whole posts, quite a few people would have to die for you to be made a moderator..:D

Last edited:
They're collapsing over there at AMD. This is getting ridiculous now.
I don't understand how you troll every post about AMD yet never get comments deleted or banned?
You're actually the one going ad hominem on another member. Should your posts be deleted, and you be banned? :p
I would ask, "who died and left you in charge"? But that's just plain silly.

With your 30 whole posts, quite a few people would have to die for you to be made a moderator..:D

I don't want to be moderator, just think this is a tech news site rather than Reddit and would expect I guess a higher level of quality comments as a result.

Things seem to be heading down hill where previously there were good technical discussion. Guess I expect to much.

Back