AMD Phenom II X6 processors specs and pricing revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Specifications for AMD's six-core desktop processors, codenamed 'Thuban', have seemingly been confirmed by Gigabyte a month before their expected release. The Taiwanese manufacturer temporarily updated its CPU Support List with two new additions -- the 2.6GHz Phenom II X6 1035T and 2.8GHz Phenom II X6 1055T.

Both chips are built on the same 45nm process as Deneb and come equipped with 6MB of shared L3 cache and 512KB of L2 per core. They are also expected to be compatible with AM2+ and AM3 motherboards, presumably after a BIOS update, and have an integrated DDR3 controller. Gigabyte has since taken down the information, but a separate leak from Bahrain-based retailer Advanti Online quotes the same specs and throws in pricing details for good measure.

Citing AMD as its source, the retailer's Facebook page lists the 2.8GHz Phenom II X6 1055T with a 125W thermal envelope and a $199 price tag. While there's no mention of the lesser 1035T model, an overclocker-friendly Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition processor running at 3.2 GHz will reportedly arrive priced at $295. Both chips will cost much, much less than an Intel 6-core CPU but should also perform on another level.

If the prices are indeed correct, the top of the line Phenom II X6 would go against Intel's freshly released Core i7 930, which is a 45nm Bloomfield quad core with a 130W TDP, 8MB shared L3 cache and running at 2.80GHz. The Phenom II X6 1055T, meanwhile, could fight it out with the Lynnfield Core i5 750 in the $200 price range.

Permalink to story.

And it has 1/3 the cache. It's really sad how AMD's 6 core cpu's will compete with intels midrange quad cores and the higher end I7-930. Anyone who needs the power of 6 cores will go with a high end part AKA intel westmere. Someone at AMD isn't thinking.

AMD is catching up to Intel. Expected. From the 3 major chip rival Intel is the worst innovation wise. Nvidia is at the top with AMD tailing but Intel is struggling with all that money.Epic fail

Now it would interesting if Nvidia took over Intel like AMD took over ATI.

what could one possible need a processor from intel that retails from 1100 dollars? Seriously I have a phenom II 940 running at 3.4ghz and still can run any game of today.

I don't really care that it has 1/3 the cache to be honest as its also 1/3 the price! you can't seriously be considering buying the intel version just because it has more cache? i know it gives it a relatively large performance boost but not £699 worth or boost!

I'm waiting to see what price the 1035T will fetch. That's the same speed as my Phenom II 710 with twice the cores and some auto overclocking. Could be a nice upgrade.

It's nice that these new processors still fit on older motherboards, and the prices seem very reasonable. Will have to wait and see if 6 cores can actually be put to use in real world applications.

Guest said:
Now it would interesting if Nvidia took over Intel like AMD took over ATI.

Where do I start with this one... well first of all Intel's market cap is over 10x that of nvidia. Also that would be a huge monopoly and would never go ahead.

princeton said:
And it has 1/3 the cache. It's really sad how AMD's 6 core cpu's will compete with intels midrange quad cores and the higher end I7-930. Anyone who needs the power of 6 cores will go with a high end part AKA intel westmere. Someone at AMD isn't thinking.

And it's really sad that I can just pop this new 6 core CPU right into 2 of my computers at home right now, without having to go buy new mobo and memory (required to get a comparable Intel unit). Oh, and it's really sad that it's so affordable...

True, it's not the performance screamer, but this is a great upgrade for many folks, and will drop right into a huge amount of motherboards already in use. AMD seems to be more interested in targeting the MASSIVE mid-range computing market by offering good solid backward-compatible products at very competitive pricing, rather than duke it out toe-to-toe with Intel to try to poach the much smaller elitist high-end stuff. Fact is, someone at AMD is thinking, they just aren't thinking like you.

Vrmithrax said:
princeton said:

And it's really sad that I can just pop this new 6 core CPU right into 2 of my computers at home right now, without having to go buy new mobo and memory (required to get a comparable Intel unit). Oh, and it's really sad that it's so affordable...

True, it's not the performance screamer, but this is a great upgrade for many folks, and will drop right into a huge amount of motherboards already in use. AMD seems to be more interested in targeting the MASSIVE mid-range computing market by offering good solid backward-compatible products at very competitive pricing, rather than duke it out toe-to-toe with Intel to try to poach the much smaller elitist high-end stuff. Fact is, someone at AMD is thinking, they just aren't thinking like you.

My feelings too, this seems like a smart move from AMD and much more affordable for someone like me :) .

This is actually interesting as I do use a lot of cores at once. However the $1000 for a hexacore intel is off my price range. I would like to see the benchmarks on this and if Intel releases a lower clocked (and cheaper) hexacore chip.

"someone at AMD is thinking, they just aren't thinking like you." True man. I'm impressed of how their way of thinking, keep it up the good work AMD, it really sweet if u can beat intel once again hehe... GGAMD.

They look competitive but Im not sold on them yet think I'll wait for Bulldozer as my 955's got a bit of life left in her yet.
Pro's:
1) Fits in AM2+ and AM3 motherboards
2) Surely top of the line thubans will beat the Intel 930/940
3) Price is quite attractive for people running older AMD dual/quads
4) Long term these chips will perfrom admirably in heavily threaded apps etc

Cons:
1) Bulldozer is about 12 months away....
2) Doesn't provide a significant upgrade for anyone running a phenom 2 X4
3) Still running on a somewhat dated architecture.
4) If AMD can only compete with Intels Core i7 with Hexacores then plainly speaking they need bulldozer (which will be 2 years late) more than ever.

So to briefly sum up this is a step in the right direction for AMD but Bulldozer (with Quad channel memory!) looks to be the more appetizing for those who want a significant upgrade.

why do i see negative comments on AMD 6 cores that cost only 200USD?
if you think designing a processor with 1 billion transistor and all of them must work with 0 faulty ones is easy job then go a head and design your own CPU.

A six core CPU at only 200$? This is a really nice surprise from AMD's part. All we need now are some benchmarks.
BTW i do believe that it will perform better than the core i5 750.

As im looking to Upgrade my very old FX-55... I was looking at the X4. However now i see in a short time i could get a X6 for a very similar and have a blazing fast rig... I think I will. Question is, what do do with 5 extra cores ;) AMD is thinking alot it would seem. Ill stick with them.

That's great news.

I'll probably sell my laptop and c2d machine, and build x6 beast, with crossfire (4890 toxic) and TEC water cooling, i just hope it will overclock well.

Let's face it. Does our games or even programs need more then 3 maximum 4 cores clocked at let's say, 2,8-3,2 ghz ?No, i don't think so.
if they keep the ~200 euros price tag then we all have a winner; really nice multitask monster.
On the other hand, if you are a 3d creator/manipulator, video encoder or hardcore OC-er, then you will pay as much as you consider that you need(becouse if you pay 1k for a pc part you get your job done faster and you earn more money and so on..basically you really need that 1000euros+ cpu) in that case you might consider i7 @1000Euros but for the rest of us 300Euros for a premium SixCore sounds more then nice.

That's great news.

I'll probably sell my laptop and c2d machine, and build x6 beast, with crossfire (4890 toxic) and TEC water cooling, i just hope it will overclock well.

If it will overclock as the PhenomII and AthlonII do, then they will reach ~3,6 easily so a hexacore at 3,5 should keep you in bussines for about 4 years easily without even thinking for an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back