AMD processor with Nvidia graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I am thinking of upgrading my mobo, processor, and memory, but keeping my BFG NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB video card.
I need to keep the cost of this upgrade down, thus not replacing the video, and my current system the CPU is the bottleneck.

I am wondering if I buy an AMD multi core processor (with appropriate mobo), will there be any issues running the NVidia GeForce on the PCI-E bus?
Since AMD and ATI are now one, I would think that AMD processors would be more tuned for ATI GPU.

If there are no known issues here, I would like to go with the AMD because I've read and heard very good things about them, and AMD has always run cooler, lower power and thus not requiring a PSU upgrade.

My current rig is:

Asus P5AD2-E Premium mobo
Intel P4 550 Prescott 3.4Ghz
3Gigs DDR2 RAM (Crucial) @ 533Mhz
BFG GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB on PCI-E
Antec True Power 550W PSU

Cooling: 120mm fan in rear of chassis, 120mm fan on Zalman heatsink on processor, 120mm fan in front of chassis
Stock fan on GeForce 9800

Thanks for any info

FW

fw2004 said...
I would like to go with the AMD because I've read and heard very good things about them, and AMD has always run cooler, lower power and thus not requiring a PSU upgrade.

Right now I don't think AMD is winning on this front either. However; in the mid-range they have few excellent CPUs to choose from; and you shouldn't have any problems with regard to your Geforce on any AMD supporting motherboard.

No issues. How much is your budget BTW?

My budget is $700. That's my federal tax refund this year.
But I'm not completely sure I want to spend it on the computer.
While I really do "need" a faster machine to play games like Auran's Train Simulator TS2010, I am starting to get more into stuff like Adobe Photoshop, and for that, I don't need dual core; at least not for what I'm doing now.

I think the rule is wait a few months. Prices will fall, and technology will get better.
I'm in no hurry.

Thanks

FW

Well as you have time on your side; I'll advise you to come back again when you are ready to make the purchase; and accordingly you'll get appropriate/optimal recommendations for your new pc keeping in mind the budget constraints. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back