AMD promises to fix fTPM issue that causes stuttering and freezes in Windows 10 and Windows...

nanoguy

Staff member
A hot potato: It wouldn't be the first time AMD's firmware bugs caused performance issues for Ryzen users, but the company has identified a new one related to fTPM that affects Windows 10 and Windows 11 users. A fix is on the way, but you'll have to wait until May to receive it.

Several Windows 10 and Windows 11 users have reported over the past few months that they’ve experienced stuttering issues, freezes, and performance drops on AMD Ryzen-powered systems. It turns out there is an issue with the way fTPM works, which can impact performance at seemingly random times during a gaming session or while running demanding software.

According to official AMD documentation, the problem is caused by an unexpected behavior on “select” Ryzen platforms, but user reports suggest this affects all systems with Zen+, Zen 2, and Zen 3 processors. Specifically, the issue is these systems may, at times, “perform extended fTPM-related memory transactions in SPI flash memory (“SPIROM”) located on the motherboard, which can lead to temporary pauses in system interactivity or responsiveness until the transaction is concluded.”

For those who are unfamiliar with fTPM, the feature refers to AMD’s firmware-based implementation of TPM, which is supposed to remove the need for a separate, discrete TPM solution for storing security keys needed for storage encryption, Secure Boot, and other security features. In the case of fTPM, the security keys are stored on the same chip that’s used for storing BIOS/UEFI settings.

AMD says it has a fix in the works that will be distributed via motherboard firmware updates based on AGESA 1207 or newer. Unfortunately, the company expects these will arrive sometime in May, so if you’ve been waiting for an official solution, you’ll need to steel your nerves and have some more patience.

The good news is there are a few workarounds for the issue. Many users have already bypassed Windows 11’s TPM requirement, which is one way to deal with this. AMD says you can also use a dedicated TPM 2.0 module, which will generally cost you around $20-$40. However, make sure your motherboard has the necessary 14-pin header before you open up your wallet. If it does, also ensure you back up your data and disable TPM-dependent features like BitLocker before switching from fTPM to the dedicated module.

AMD has had a difficult time ensuring Windows 11 stability and performance for Ryzen users, and even some of people who stuck with Windows 10 have had to wait for months to get a fix for USB connectivity issues. TPM isn't a requirement in Windows 10, but Microsoft has been pushing it hard with Windows 11, even though the added security features aren't always worth the performance hit.

Permalink to story.

Wow. That literally answers my question as to why Windows 11 with tpm on/secure boot was running like complete garbage on my new a520 5600g setup yet Windows 10 with all of that crap off is fine. You also expect me to wait another 2 months after I've known about it for months now? Because of this behavior and lackluster effort to fix it ASAP AMD will never get another cent from me. I thought the release of the 6500xt would be a decent upgrade to pair with a 5600g but then we all found out about the nerfed pcie 3.0 performance among other things. AMD just steered me away with two screw ups in less than 6 months. What a joke of a company.

Or just hear me out: disable TPM completely. Is not like consumers need it for well, anything. And for corporate users well, not sure many office workers would even notice stutters and poor performance anyway.

Seriously not sure why just flat out disabling TPM isn't mentioned as an option: I guess Microsoft would probably not like that but it's not like they like AMD anyway when they intentionally exclude Ryzen 1000 series which are perfectly good chips, from Windows 11 just because so, win/win if you ask me AMD: Recommend disabling TPM.

I think I've had this when opening the Steam Web Browser while in-game, but otherwise my W11 experience has been relatively seamless. Had brief issue with emulation but I don't use android emulation very often (and soon to be redundant), and there was also a snipping tool issue that got resolved not long after I reported it (was already known about).

I was hoping AGESA 1.2.0.6b beta would fix it but it didn't. I have a couple games with stuttering still.
I was looking for a cause of stuttering I was getting while gaming for a couple months before I found this potential cause. I'm glad AMD was able to find something. I can wait until May. If it's a bios fix I'm used to that since I went with X470. I've flashed more times on this one board than my previous 5 intel boards combined. ;)

Last edited:
Or as they stated, go with a Dedicated TPM module but backup your system and be perpared to reinstall as any Windows Feature depending on the fTPM will fail since the keys wont be available anymore.

If I was going to use TPM on eithe Intel or AMD I would go with the dedicated solution instead though with Scalpers, it aint 20-40 USD for one but 100-200 for the darn things.

Back