AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT Review: A Bad, Really Bad Graphics Card

What a bittersweet piece to read: even AMD has truly reached Nvidia or intel level of arrogance and consumer abuse and in record time because they haven't even financially really grown past any of their competitors: AMD is just pure, undistilled hubris and I hope they end up having to leave the consumer GPU market altogether with enough customer backlash: they can't compete on anything beyond integrated graphics and at this point, I'm beginning to think both Sony and Microsoft would end up with nothing but improvements if they switch their consoles to Nvidia in the future.

Bottom line, if no PCI-E 4.0, then best to steer clear of this card. It is sad that a 2022 card may fall to the level of a GTX 1650 in some titles using PCI-E 3.0, and not even the Super version that we are comparing here. I agree that AMD managed to produce a card that nobody wants. Budget gamers on PCI-E 3.0, are better off getting a GTX 1650 which is not fast, but at least somewhat consistent in performance across a range of titles.

"But as far as new product releases go, I can’t think of anything worse."

How about drip feeding a supply in order to help keep prices artificially inflated so that over a period of time the consumer market accepts these high prices as the norm? That's kind of worse....

This card will NEVER be on my radar, however, when I started reading your comparisons, I was hoping to see what this card was capable of compared to the 3050Ti. This GPU was, as you say designed for a laptop so I figured it would be a good comparison against a 3050Ti equipped laptop - at around $899 - 1199 - for the consumer who wants simple 1080p gaming but doesn't have much cash or access.

The only two games up there I even remotely care about re Cyberpunk and DOOM. This card exceeds 30 FPS on Cyberpunk and exceeds 60 FPS in DOOM which is reasonable. I would have hoped to also see a comparison for Battlefield 2042 and Far Cry 6.

It's not pretty, obviously because it's 4GB instead of 8GB, but for most people it will be more than enough in a low-end prebuilt or $1000 rig/laptop.

How about drip feeding a supply in order to help keep prices artificially inflated so that over a period of time the consumer market accepts these high prices as the norm? That's kind of worse....
If that was something we could obtain evidence to confirm, we would have a massive, unprecedented price fixing/anti-trust action in place already.

Don't get me wrong it is much, much worst. It's just hidden behind many layers of NDAs and a lot of disposable distributors to take the heat if it even comes to the surface.

This card however, is outwardly deceiving customers since AMD themselves still sell PCI-E 3.0 only systems brand new with their A520 motherboards which are arguably the best budget option available today so the worst case scenario here if anyone that's loyal to AMD and decides to build the best brand new, budget based Ryzen system possible with a moderately cheap A520 motherboard and a 5600g which would make it otherwise an excellent system if you do the smart thing and wait to pair it with a budget Nvidia card instead of a budget AMD one so, insert top 10 anime betrayal joke here.

The norm as in this being a thing post-pandemic?
lol No. That's insane. No one should think that.

Last edited:
This card will NEVER be on my radar, however, when I started reading your comparisons, I was hoping to see what this card was capable of compared to the 3050Ti. This GPU was, as you say designed for a laptop so I figured it would be a good comparison against a 3050Ti equipped laptop - at around $899 - 1199 - for the consumer who wants simple 1080p gaming but doesn't have much cash or access.

The only two games up there I even remotely care about re Cyberpunk and DOOM. This card exceeds 30 FPS on Cyberpunk and exceeds 60 FPS in DOOM which is reasonable. I would have hoped to also see a comparison for Battlefield 2042 and Far Cry 6.

It's not pretty, obviously because it's 4GB instead of 8GB, but for most people it will be more than enough in a low-end prebuilt or $1000 rig/laptop.
Uh, no? Did you forget that the RX 580, which is just a mildly OCed 480 (same clock rate as the 480 GTR black) was technically a $200 card from 6 YEARS ago AND features media decoders and encoders for up to 4k60, outperforms this new $200 "card" in every single test, while drawing a whopping 40 watts more power on the neanderthal tier 14nm node?

In no scenario is this 6500xt a reasonable purchase. It is a waste of cash, an abomination of sand.

So after 6 years of GPU evolution, when paired with a PCIe 3.0 motherboard this $300 6500XT has one quarter of the available PCI bandwidth of my old $99 GTX 1050 2GB (non Ti) card at triple the price? I know there are shortages but at what point are budget gamers just going to find another hobby if this really is the best they can do in 2022?...

So after 6 years of GPU evolution, when paired with a PCIe 3.0 motherboard this $300 6500XT has one quarter of the available PCI bandwidth of my old $99 GTX 1050 2GB (non Ti) card at triple the price? I know there are shortages but at what point are budget gamers just going to find another hobby if this really is the best they can do in 2022?...
I've already moved onto catching up on my old game library and TV shows. Rapidly running out though, after that comes working on building models and fixing cars.

A junker truck can be had for $500 to play around with, a new 6800xt is $1600. Absolute insanity.

Back