AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Review: Better than RTX 3070?

If they are available and at close to MSRP then they will fly off the shelves (especially in the UK as GPUs are scarce to non-existent) . It is getting to the stage where buying a pre-built from Dell or HP is the only way to get hold of a new GPU (not including scalpers at the usual places).

It is getting to the stage where buying a pre-built from Dell or HP is the only way to get hold of a new GPU (not including scalpers at the usual places).
*activates tin-foil hat mode
Maybe all of the scalpers are actually system builders, forcing everyone to buy whole new PCs to arrest the steady decline in unit sales ;)

Edit: With regards to the 6700XT, it's a shame it doesn't have more memory bandwidth. Despite being better than the 5700XT -- 23% better overall at 1080p and 30% better at 1440p -- the new card has 35% higher Boost clocks and 38% higher Game clocks. This is what happens when you drop 14% bandwidth.

Last edited:
Maybe all of the scalpers are actually system builders, forcing everyone to buy whole new PCs to arrest the steady decline in unit sales ;)
We are through the looking glass people..... (probably not as Dell have the ugliest versions of GPUs in their machines) .

At this point, I wouldnt doubt something like that, to be honest.

If they are available and at close to MSRP then they will fly off the shelves (especially in the UK as GPUs are scarce to non-existent) . It is getting to the stage where buying a pre-built from Dell or HP is the only way to get hold of a new GPU (not including scalpers at the usual places).
I‘d say considering the current market, if you need a GPU and can get one at or near MSRP go for it. 3060 (the briefly available models) went for more than that.

But long term AMD really needs to look at pricing. I don‘t see picking the 6700XT over a 3060Ti at these prices, assuming both go for MSRP.

o06ddpdiwwf11.jpg

Please refresh my memory as to how many games are currently out THAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY PLAYING that have these features?

Funny how the drones continue to fall for the marketing hype.

You know DLSS2.0 supported by big high selling AAA tiles such as latest call of duty, cyberpunk, watch dogs ligion, Avengers, Control. etc.

There is also Nioh 2, Crysis Remaster but those are not big titles

Last edited:
Trash card. Slower than RTX 3070, barely faster than RTX 3060. Has worse cost per frame than both

Also, much slower in RT and lacks DLSS
The real disappointing card (I personally dislike terms like „trash“ but you do you) is the 3060 you mention, but I assume you wanted to say 3060Ti.

It should have been priced at 3060 Ti level, just like the 6800 should have been priced at the 3070 level.

We‘ll hopefully see which manufacturer‘s msrp were realistic eventually, both in terms of saleability and attainability as I still have my doubts wrt nVidia‘s msrp for the latter.

Thanks for the review! Here is to hoping the 6600/6600XT will also be landing sometime soon, for a much lower price :S ... or 6500/6500XT, heh. These GPU prices paired with the mining craze are off the hook!

Roughly 2080Ti level of rasterizstion performance for far less money isn’t “disappointing” at all. Also, a 30 percent improvement over the 5700XT is quite good, especially while consuming a good deal less power.

Perhaps the price isn’t perfect, I’ll give you that, but I feel this review is a bit too negative in my opinion. Kudos to AMD for innovating.

Perhaps the reason why prices on prior AMD generations were lower is because AMD needed to compete on price since it didn’t have the performance, and so it took a hit to gross margins. Now they’ve innovated, and want to charge a premium for their efforts, and we’ll see if the market place rewards (or punishes) them for their efforts.

Last edited:
Can I make suggestion for Staff.

Is it possible to change the bar graph color for the GPU that is being reviewed. When I scan the charts it would stand out right way instead of having to read the gpu titles on the left to see which is which since they are all the same colour?

It remains profoundly sad that AMD's cards can't compete with Nvidia's in the video editing and transcoding arena. AMD promised that they were going to produce real competition with Nvidia in this respect, tuning up their absolutely lackluster performance in this area. This is no minor detail. You are paying for this feature and not getting the RPMs at all.

I am not an Nvidia fanboy. But they continue to stomp all over AMD with their Nvenc chip and while AMD promised to get serious on this issue, they have done absolutely nothing. Until AMD can deliver on their hollow promises in this regard, their cards will stay on the shelf as far as I'm concerned. And anyone who values GPU accelerated encoding/decoding or video editing/streaming is going to bypass AMD completely. They've had WAY more time than they need to address this issue and just lie to their customers by NEVER doing anything about it. AMD isn't even in the running for me, and I wish they were! 🙄🙄🙄

Last edited:
Roughly 2080Ti level of rasterizstion performance for far less money isn’t “disappointing” at all. Also, a 30 percent improvement over the 5700XT is quite good, especially while consuming a good deal less power.

Perhaps the price isn’t perfect, I’ll give you that, but I feel this review is a bit too negative in my opinion. Kudos to AMD for innovating.

Perhaps the reason why prices on prior AMD generations were lower is because AMD needed to compete on price since it didn’t have the performance, and so it took a hit to gross margins. Now they’ve innovated, and want to charge a premium for their efforts, and we’ll see if the market place rewards (or punishes) them for their efforts.
I agree that this review is way too negative. If the RTX 3070 gets a 95, how does this get a 70...?

It's quite obvious that AMD likely increased the MSRP so they get a higher piece of the pie in the current market. nVidia on the other hand was setting artificially low MSRP prices from the beginning, but they are praised for it in reviews, despite being unable to get them at those prices. Unfortunately, the price has been the major focus for the conclusion, despite prices being pretty much irrelevant right now.

I can sympathize with the position of reviewers... Because what else are you gonna judge the card on...? But the discrepancy between a 95 score for the RTX 3070 and a 70 score for the 6700XT simply seems way too large, considering the results we are seeing.

Trash card. Slower than RTX 3070, barely faster than RTX 3060 Ti. Has worse cost per frame than both,

Also, much slower in RT and lacks DLSS
better frame per watt, radeon boost is the current feature that compare to dlss. ray tracing is POS for most gamer. Price will settle after releasing. what everyone will hate even more is that eth mining will be far better than every RTX 3xxx card.

I agree that this review is way too negative. If the RTX 3070 gets a 95, how does this get a 70...?

It's quite obvious that AMD likely increased the MSRP so they get a higher piece of the pie in the current market. nVidia on the other hand was setting artificially low MSRP prices from the beginning, but they are praised for it in reviews, despite being unable to get them at those prices. Unfortunately, the price has been the major focus for the conclusion, despite prices being pretty much irrelevant right now.

I can sympathize with the position of reviewers... Because what else are you gonna judge the card on...? But the discrepancy between a 95 score for the RTX 3070 and a 70 score for the 6700XT simply seems way too large, considering the results we are seeing.
The mind wonders, did we lose Steve to the same "thing" that consumed LTT?

You could include Minecraft RTX as that now supports the Vulkan extensions for ray tracing and is a fully path traced game. It’s a bit more neutral and offers an insight into how these cards handle this tech. (Also all my mates are playing and some are hoping to upgrade their card to allow them to use the RTX resource packs so we would appreciate it). There does seem to be quite a lot of popularity of Minecraft RTX. Much more than say Ashes of the singularity which regularly featured in reviews to showcase future tech (Notably that AMD was better in)

Also it’s laughable that Techspot claim death stranding runs better on this card than a 3070. Nobody plays death stranding on RTX hardware with DLSS turned off. Except Steve when he’s reviewing GPUs apparently. In the real world a 3070 destroys a 6700XT at Death Stranding and looks better to boot as the DLSS quality implementation improves image quality and frame rate. It’s just a shame that Techspot hide this, it’s a popular game, perhaps readers should be informed?

But I do feel sorry for Steve, his job is to review graphics cards nobody can buy and publish the MSRP which we all know won’t be real. At least this time he didn’t go even further and tell off these companies for not pricing them lower! But I do wish the market was in a place where such criticism would be valid.

2080 Ti came out in September 2018. That make it 2.5 year old

I'm loving that 6900XT and 6800 XT murders the 3090 and 3080 in 1440p.
Murders ???
6800XT is only like 2% faster than 3080 at 1440p according to average graph. This called murder ??? LOL
Not sure how 2% difference is worth more than worse RT performance and lack of DLSS

Also, have you guys every heard of something called supersampling/resolution scaling ??
if you are playing a non-demanding game you can always use resolution scale (for example, you can use 1.25x scalling and this will look better than native 1440p on 1440p display). Just because you have 1440p display does not mean you can't go above 1440p. Also, almost every modern game have resolution scaling in graphics menu

Carrot on a stick for us mere mortals. We cannot buy one for MSRP, let alone find one in stock in preferred stores/outlets. Personally, I would refuse to test any of those cards unless we have a steady supply of them in stores and available to general public. This article should come with a warning "Things on the screen might appear further away in the distant future than previously thought"

Murders ???
6800XT is only like 2% faster than 3080 at 1440p according to average graph. This called murder ??? LOL
Not sure how 2% difference is worth more than worse RT performance and lack of DLSS
Yes "murders" is the word nvidia fanboys use when nvidia card is 1-2 frames faster than AMD.

Also DLSS is dumb. Why would I lower my native resolution? Just get a card that murders the resolution.

Yeah. It all falls at 4K however. Luckily for me I game at 1440p.
That's due to the memory bandwidth unfortunately. But considering my 27in 1440p monitor fits perfectly on my desk, I have no reasons to get 32in or 4k for that matter.

Back