AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT Review: The "Affordable" RTX 3090 Alternative

The 3090 was a dream given form. Got me through the last two years: Cyberpunk specifically.
The 6950XT at $1000, is a nice option, but the retail prices are higher around here.
I've never played a single game of the 5 listed above.
I'm more interested in the comparison performance when playing Cyberpunk, Microsoft Flight Simulator, DCS: World, Battlefield 2042 and Elden Ring.

...but while gamers continue to purchase products like the RTX 3090 and RX 6900 series, AMD and Nvidia will continue to divert as much supply as possible to their premium lineups

Actually I don't think that's a fair description of the situation by implying is entirely on the consumers that these products exist: They get significantly more PR, they launch isolated from mid tier offerings to make sure nobody can even consider a reasonable entry price if they want they new features they spearhead and they get talked about the most as we can clearly see they put far more effort in seeding reviewer samples of these products to many reviewers (Again going back to the first point)

This is a clear, calculated and in my opinion, effective way to make sure there's more people buying the higher end products than mere market forces and customer demand: the demand is induced so no these don't sell just because "Consumers want to buy them" but they are made to think they might have no other choice and impose months and recently even years of poor availability vs the mid tier and entry level offerings.

Testing these at 1080p is nice to look at - but not really relevant. It's the 1440p and 4k resolutions that people will be gaming at with these cards.

While they might have more "value" than their nvidia counterparts, at this price point, value is thrown out the window. If you want the best, you go nvidia.

Testing these at 1080p is nice to look at - but not really relevant. It's the 1440p and 4k resolutions that people will be gaming at with these cards.

While they might have more "value" than their nvidia counterparts, at this price point, value is thrown out the window. If you want the best, you go nvidia.
While I do not disagree with the 3090Ti being the best at 4K, did we look at the same 1440p average performance graph ?

But yes, there will definitely be those for whom paying $150 for each additional fps will probably be worth it.

Note: this only applies to gaming and not content creation.

AMD is not intentionally doing gamers a favor, but it works out kind of nice for consumers that don't have eyes only for the green team.
UNQUOTE

I for one could not care less about NVIDIA and the Leatherman in view of how they have systematically skinned gamers.

You have to remember though, I have no choice other than to buy an NGREEDIA GPU as I own a very expensive GSYNC monitor.

I have no choice, I am locked with the Leatherman. Were I to buy an AMD GPU I'd have to pay another 1000 EUR to buy a new FREESYNC monitor.

So, no thanks AMD.

Depends which country as to "value", and that is often where these head-to-head comparisons aren't so useful.

Here in Australia, roughly for some of the cheaper cards (in $AUD):

3080: $1300
6800XT: $1300
6950XT: $1800
6900XT: $1900 (wtf! - most retailers are not even dropping the price of the old card)
3090: $2800
3090TI: $3300 (lol!)

So personally I think you'd be a bit nuts to pay nearly double for a 3090TI here and get pretty much the same performance as a 6950XT, so the AMD seems extremely good value.. unless of course RT is a "must have" for you.

Last edited:
AMD is not intentionally doing gamers a favor, but it works out kind of nice for consumers that don't have eyes only for the green team.
UNQUOTE

I for one could not care less about NVIDIA and the Leatherman in view of how they have systematically skinned gamers.

You have to remember though, I have no choice other than to buy an NGREEDIA GPU as I own a very expensive GSYNC monitor.

I have no choice, I am locked with the Leatherman. Were I to buy an AMD GPU I'd have to pay another 1000 EUR to buy a new FREESYNC monitor.

So, no thanks AMD.
Leatherman's plan to lock people into Nvidia is working, got to love the walled garden.

No matter how you slice it, the nvdrones will make sure to twist the numbers until they can repeat "nvidia rulez!!.

Now I wonder, given the MSRP, in my eyes, AMD never really positioned the 6900 XT and the 6950 XT as direct competitors to the 3090 and 3090Ti yet they do give those two a run for their money, so as Steve said, in the cost per FPS, they end up cheaper.

Really strange products.

No matter how you slice it, the nvdrones will make sure to twist the numbers until they can repeat "nvidia rulez!!.

Now I wonder, given the MSRP, in my eyes, AMD never really positioned the 6900 XT and the 6950 XT as direct competitors to the 3090 and 3090Ti yet they do give those two a run for their money, so as Steve said, in the cost per FPS, they end up cheaper.

Really strange products.
Some of us have been burned by AMDs shitty drivers over the years. Every AMD card, even going back to ATI Ive purchased, had shitty drivers. Ive never had an issue with Nvidias drivers going back to the late '90's

Nvidia 3090Ti = $2500 CAD
AMD 6950 = $1660 CAD

While it's hard to justify a 50% price increase, you have to remember that this tier is NOT a value segment.. best horse wins...

Some of us have been burned by AMDs shitty drivers over the years. Every AMD card, even going back to ATI Ive purchased, had shitty drivers. Ive never had an issue with Nvidias drivers going back to the late '90's
It is clear that you havent used one in the last couple of years, because in reality, AMD drivers are actually better than Nvidia, even the whole package, since nvdia has been installing extra software to gather data from your system without your consent, without option to do not install it and to make it better, forces you to create an account with them if you want the privilege of either auto-update or at the very least, a notification of a new version being available.

First ever post on the matter: https://www.majorgeeks.com/news/sto...o_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

Now, on a technical level, it has been checked that AMD drivers have lower overhead:
So long story short, change that excuse, its not valid anymore.

It is clear that you havent used one in the last couple of years, because in reality, AMD drivers are actually better than Nvidia, even the whole package, since nvdia has been installing extra software to gather data from your system without your consent, without option to do not install it and to make it better, forces you to create an account with them if you want the privilege of either auto-update or at the very least, a notification of a new version being available.

First ever post on the matter: https://www.majorgeeks.com/news/sto...o_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

Now, on a technical level, it has been checked that AMD drivers have lower overhead:
Just because Nvidia uses telemetry and their drivers take more CPU overhead... doesn't make AMD drivers better...

The flaw with AMD drivers over the years have been blue screens, certain games becoming unplayable, etc...

Thank you very much for the usual nVidia uber alles, totally expected reply!!

Especially for a product (3090TI) that is literally double the price of this AMD class- leading product!!

Just because Nvidia uses telemetry and their drivers take more CPU overhead... doesn't make AMD drivers better...

The flaw with AMD drivers over the years have been blue screens, certain games becoming unplayable, etc...
Personally, I have been using a 6900XT for over a year and the only issues I had were related to windows and one particular game (Strider) which would crash on queue on Windows, yet it worked flawlessly under Linux and Proton.

By the way, thanks to AMD open source practices, I didnt even had to install the drivers, since they are already part of the kernel and worked flawlessly.

In the end, if you are ok ignoring both aspects (the so called moral with the telemetry and technical with the lower overhead) and in my case, no crashes or anything weird, then I dont really have anything to tell you that will make you change your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

You are lying through your teeth. Radeon drivers are a laughing stock. I’m using them literally right now. AMDs atrocious software support is the main reason 8 out of 10 people overwhelmingly choose GeForce.

The benchmarks feel incomplete without any raytracing at all. I have an RTX 3080, but if I were GPU-less, I would probably consider the 6950XT now that its easy to find at MSRP.
Completely agreed. When you spend this sort of cash on a GPU you need more than good frame rates. You want all the features too. Testing these GPUs with RT off is a complete waste of time.

You are lying through your teeth. Radeon drivers are a laughing stock. I’m using them literally right now. AMDs atrocious software support is the main reason 8 out of 10 people overwhelmingly choose GeForce.

Your tired old story of bad radeon driver is old...

I have maintained my own private LAN room for 25 years and am hardware agnostic. I have built over 30 Systems in my life time, for me and RL clan mates... all different hardware and software.

Nobody, not one professional gamer uses GFE and like me, install just the drivers. Because of the internal stuttering and frames times.

In your own ignorance, you do not even understand what AMD has done to it's driver stack for RDNA. So educated people who aren't lying and actually use both drivers, KNOW for a fact that Radeon software is NOW more polished and more refined than nVidia's current mess.

Nothing you say further will change anybody's mind here, because you are simply lying.

Last edited:

I've used AMD and Nvidia GPUs extensively in my gaming system for this generation, RDNA2 has had far fewer issues for me where as Ampere has been a nightmare on my dual monitor setup.

Firstly I had more games crashes with the RTX 3090. Nvidia's dual monitor support is laughably bad (at least with high bandwidth panels). No matter what DP cables I used my 4K 32" 144Hz panels would randomly flicker, ShadowPlay almost always recorded the secondary screen, I'd fix and then an hour later it would be back to the second screen.

The most annoying issue was the fact that whenever I woke the system up the second screen wouldn't come on and I had to unplug the DP cable and plug it back in, sometimes this happened to both screens.

Now with RDNA2 based Radeon GPUs not a single one of these issues has ever happened and I've only had a driver crash once. It always records the primary screen and I have no issues waking the system up.

Frankly as someone who uses both brands products extensively each generation for the most part the AMD bad driver thing is BS. Yes on occasion they've had bad drivers, but so has Nvidia.

This is a great halo card for legacy games.
I don’t know why anyone would pay more if this already gets you the very best that 1080p gaming has to offer.
Don’t listen to those who drone on about image quality, modern rendering features, high resolution or driver quality. Those people are just haters!!

I can’t stand people who don’t understand what it is like to be in an entry level job, or a subsidized workplace, or in prison, like you and me.
Go pay through the nose for your Nvidia trash! I am on government benefits and proud to own AMD.

Back