AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX vs. Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080: The Re-Review

So the 7900xtx went from 4% faster at 4k to 7% faster at 4k. It's still been the better buy, as it has always been.

I don't know, the 7900 XTX has 2500 more cores, a massive amount of l3 cache and a wider memory bus. I think you see that a little in the 4K results (likely due to that memory bus), but the GPU should perform better compared to the 4080. Even though it may have improved some, it's clear AMD did not get the performance it wanted out of RDNA3. Also, with the limited number of games here, a lot of them are the very ones that AMD performs better on. Adding some more games to the mix, I wouldn't be surprised if that 4K raster result tightened back up to 4-5% advantage for AMD.

Why the hell anyone compares the 7900xtx to the rtx4080 when in 90+% of markets the 7900xtx is priced the same as the rtx4070ti and for that money it demolishes it, meanwhile the rtx4080 is up to $700 more than the 7900xtx and let's not forget that the rtx4090 in most markets is more than double the cost of the 7900xtx with the amd offering nipping at it's heels and near matching it for performance in some applications. Alls I can say is from a neutral stance comparisons showing the 7900xtx vs the rtx4080 or rtx4090 are dishonest as they are deliberately putting cards way more expensive up against a card that is much more affordable. People wanna know where there money is going not what card can beat another for ~$600 more lol

I don't know, the 7900 XTX has 2500 more cores, a massive amount of l3 cache and a wider memory bus. I think you see that a little in the 4K results (likely due to that memory bus), but the GPU should perform better compared to the 4080. Even though it may have improved some, it's clear AMD did not get the performance it wanted out of RDNA3. Also, with the limited number of games here, a lot of them are the very ones that AMD performs better on. Adding some more games to the mix, I wouldn't be surprised if that 4K raster result tightened back up to 4-5% advantage for AMD.

That's because what it gained with the new architecture it lost because of the chiplet design ...... It makes it cheaper to produce but you loose some performance and efficiency in the process,

I had nvidea cards for long time, but since I build new pc with 7800x3d, I had a change to buy rx7800xt for 650€. I must say, those cards a not so bad…

The cores are not 1:1 comparable. The architectures are drastically different from each other. Franky, I don't care about core count, the 7900xtx is 7% faster and nearly 20% cheaper. If you're worried about cores counts out price to performance then your mind and wallet are in the wrong place

I did obscene levels of research before buying these cards. I ultimately went 4080 for me for the better live streaming capabilities and went with the AMD for my wife.

After months of owning both cards, the performance numbers in this article are spot on. There are some games we play together that I look over and her FPS is generally higher. This is running at high refresh 1440p and 1600p widescreen monitors respectively.

DLSS is truly awesome but is limited where FSR is more flexible.

What the article doesn't mention is the generally better recording and streaming done by the 4080. However, with newer tech like AV1 in YouTube for example the gape is narrowed. It also doesn't mention the most pressing problem my wife faces: the constant driver timeouts in dx12 games with the 7900xtx and the annoying workarounds you have to do with windows to prevent outdated driver installs. Nothing resolves the timeouts. Cleaning past drivers, disabling the annoying windows drivers, beta drivers, nothing. It's a constant headache that I assumed eas a thing of the past.

But if you need Cuda Cores.
6,144 vs 16,384 CUDA cores for the RTX 480.
I absolutely need Cuda Cores for Ai image generation.

Heres what I really want to know.. how do the cards compare in VR? VR for the most part doesnt support frame generation and ray tracing.. you need brute power for high resolutions and frame rates. I suspect the AMD card will do well, but I could be wrong..

Heres what I really want to know.. how do the cards compare in VR? VR for the most part doesnt support frame generation and ray tracing.. you need brute power for high resolutions and frame rates. I suspect the AMD card will do well, but I could be wrong..
For VR you are only concerned about raw raster performance. So the Radeon card would be best here. No one is doing a very expensive tech like RT in VR.

For VR you are only concerned about raw raster performance. So the Radeon card would be best here. No one is doing a very expensive tech like RT in VR.

Don't forget SPS, a Nvidia tech generally worth around 20% or so. If the VR games you play support SPS then despite better raster monitor performance the 79000XTX won't compete in VR.

I did obscene levels of research before buying these cards. I ultimately went 4080 for me for the better live streaming capabilities and went with the AMD for my wife.

After months of owning both cards, the performance numbers in this article are spot on. There are some games we play together that I look over and her FPS is generally higher. This is running at high refresh 1440p and 1600p widescreen monitors respectively.

What the article doesn't mention is the generally better recording and streaming done by the 4080. However, with newer tech like AV1 in YouTube for example the gape is narrowed. It also doesn't mention the most pressing problem my wife faces: the constant driver timeouts in dx12 games with the 7900xtx and the annoying workarounds you have to do with windows to prevent outdated driver installs. Nothing resolves the timeouts. Cleaning past drivers, disabling the annoying windows drivers, beta drivers, nothing. It's a constant headache that I assumed eas a thing of the past.

Best way to avoid that is to stay on win 10 been on the 7900xtx since april and never had an issue with windows replacing my drivers because I'm on 10. Also for the driver timeouts is anything in that system overclocked?

Why the hell anyone compares the 7900xtx to the rtx4080 when in 90+% of markets the 7900xtx is priced the same as the rtx4070ti and for that money it demolishes it, meanwhile the rtx4080 is up to $700 more than the 7900xtx and let's not forget that the rtx4090 in most markets is more than double the cost of the 7900xtx with the amd offering nipping at it's heels and near matching it for performance in some applications. Alls I can say is from a neutral stance comparisons showing the 7900xtx vs the rtx4080 or rtx4090 are dishonest as they are deliberately putting cards way more expensive up against a card that is much more affordable. People wanna know where there money is going not what card can beat another for ~$600 more lol
Dillusional

I have a 7900XTX card and rarely have any crashes on my setup. As for driver outdated drivers from Windows update I assume never have had that as well then again I have updates blocked and when I allow them I pick the security updates needed and never allow the driver updates if there are any from Windows update because most of the time they are as you said older and outdated for pretty much everything they offer.

Did you just make our AMD and Nvidia cores should be the same you never compare cores from different companies completely different

As I have posted in your Cyberpunk 2.0 benchmarks article, please start benchmarking dual 4k. After having my Samsung G9 57" for a month now, I am convinced that ultra-wide dual 4k, with ray tracing and leveraging upscaling technologies, is the future of gaming.

The 7900xtx by Asrock @ Newegg
In stock $889.99
+ $40 off w/ promo code TECXA49 , limited offer until 10/8

and Powercolor In stock $889.99
$20.00 off w/ promo code: TECXA33, ends 10/8

fyi

Awesome reviews steve.
But you should look at RTX gpus RT performance.
That 7800x3d is doing something with the RT performance of Nvidia gpus/
Same thing happened with 7800xt vs 4070.
Where you had them equal in RT whereas other tech outlets had 4070 15-20% faster on average.
Those tech outlets were using 13900K.
4080 is 17% faster in RT vs 7900xtx - TechPowerUp at 4k - Ultra RT
4080 is 32% faster in RT vs 7900xtx - ComputerBase at 4k - Ultra RT
4080 is 23% faster in RT vs 7900xtx- Pcgh at 4k - They use medium settings for RT

Last edited:
Awesome reviews steve.
But you should look at RTX gpus RT performance.
That 7800x3d is doing something with the RT performance of Nvidia gpus/
Same thing happened with 7800xt vs 4070.
Where you had them equal in RT whereas other tech outlets had 4070 15-20% faster on average.
Those tech outlets were using 13900K.
4080 is 17% faster in RT vs 7900xtx - TechPowerUp at 4k - Ultra RT
4080 is 32% faster in RT vs 7900xtx - ComputerBase at 4k - Ultra RT
4080 is 23% faster in RT vs 7900xtx- Pcgh at 4k - They use medium settings for RT
Can you quote the actuals not the percentages? As from your example it is possible the Intel chip is doing something with RT performance of AMD GPUs?

Back