AMD Radeon VII Review: RTX Killer or Flop?

They need to price this GPU around $600. When you factor in stability issues and how dominant Nvidia is, AMD's card to play has always been similar performance for less money, not the same or more.
Please believe, I am not trying to knock this GPU or say AMD cannot make quality drivers, or that they cannot patch them as time goes on. This GPU is competing with the 2080 in a few games, not doubt. But IMO this GPU should be priced no higher then $650. And with this smaller die it STILL runs hot and loud? I guess some thing never change, lets hope Navi follows in Ryzens footsteps.
And the name is camouflage for what this GPU actually is...at this point, in 2019, do they really think the large part of PC gaming enthusiasts don't understand what they are getting?
Lets just hope AMD don't slap your hand like Nvidia did with Steve by withholding a GPU to test because someone actually gave an honest review.

Last edited:
The Radeon 7 is better in most games, than a RTX2080ti @ 1080p and 1440p!

And it^ cost half!

Congrats to AMD for giving the consumer a choice and pushing the Gamer's experience. Anyone else see those frame times and minimum frames..? If you game at 144Hz or less, there is no better choice than a Radeon 7(nm) & smooth FreeSync2 experience.

In the end, that is all the Gamer wants.

I think the mistake here is that AMD marketed this as a "gaming" card instead of more suited to content creators. The high memory and bandwidth would be more suited to those applications. I don't think anyone here is surprised at the gaming performance. We knew what to expect.

I am sure stability issues will be resolved with future drivers.

However, I have to wonder what is the point of this release? AMD does not really seem to be staying competitive with this release in that temps are still high, power consumption is still high, and performance is not really worth the price.

Plus, I have to wonder what resources did this take away from Navi development?

IMO, AMD should avoid releasing crap just to make a claim that they are still in the game.

Beaten by the RTX2080, with the Nvidia card closer on games it loses and further ahead on ones it wins. Then the higher power consumption and noise......

It could be saved if it had good overclocking potential, I have only seen one review that tests this and it wasn't particularly impressive. AMD have wrung out everything they can leaving little headroom at stock voltage and the cooler is tapped out without modification.

It's priced too high, and I have already seen RTX2080 partner cards at the $699 MSRP too, with a couple games thrown. The Geforce is the easy default choice, what with the extra RTX bonuses Nvidia throw in there even if it's only potential right now.

As above, at $600 it's a viable option. At MSRP you should walk right past it, and I am sure everyone will.

Send out the call, Navi is desperately needed.

The Radeon 7 is better in most games, than a RTX2080ti @ 1080p and 1440p!

And it^ cost half!

Congrats to AMD for giving the consumer a choice and pushing the Gamer's experience. Anyone else see those frame times and minimum frames..? If you game at 144Hz or less, there is no better choice than a Radeon 7(nm) & smooth FreeSync2 experience.

In the end, that is all the Gamer wants.
Is this poorly executed sarcasm?

I think the mistake here is that AMD marketed this as a "gaming" card instead of more suited to content creators. The high memory and bandwidth would be more suited to those applications. I don't think anyone here is surprised at the gaming performance. We knew what to expect.
Well, given that there are probably 500+ gamers for every content creator, AMD is pretty poor at choosing its target market- unless market share and profits aren't part of their "business" plan.

Why does AMD continue to release products that don’t have proper driver support out of the gate?
It happened with Ryzen too, right?

Beaten by the RTX2080, with the Nvidia card closer on games it loses and further ahead on ones it wins. Then the higher power consumption and noise......

It could be saved if it had good overclocking potential, I have only seen one review that tests this and it wasn't particularly impressive. AMD have wrung out everything they can leaving little headroom at stock voltage and the cooler is tapped out without modification.

It's priced too high, and I have already seen RTX2080 partner cards at the $699 MSRP too, with a couple games thrown. The Geforce is the easy default choice, what with the extra RTX bonuses Nvidia throw in there even if it's only potential right now.

As above, at $600 it's a viable option. At MSRP you should walk right past it, and I am sure everyone will.

Send out the call, Navi is desperately needed.
If im not mistaken, I believe games are coming with AMD cards also. The Division 2 is one ive seen come with AMD cards.
Some nvidia cards and maybe even AMD come with multiple games. I saw a 2080 come with 3, BFV, BO 4 and Anthem.

Well I blame AMD but I also must admit that Nvidia's architecture is light years ahead. Nvidia cards simply have insane power efficiently for the performance they offer. How did AMD gain so little from 7nm I don't know.

If you remove the esports titles, it is on par with the RTX2080. It seems this card needs the right game to stretch its legs.

I can see alot of people getting this card used in a couple of years for great compute performance with nice 4k gaming at casual settings.

For now though, it just does not compete well for gamers.

Back