AMD ramps up Zen 3 hype, calls Ryzen 4000 CPUs "tremendously powerful"

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: We’re now only three weeks away from AMD’s official unveiling of its Zen 3-based CPUs, and the company is ramping up the hype, with one exec boasting that it will be a “tremendously powerful” architecture.

AMD has been singing the praises of Zen 3 for a while and is now trying to get more people excited as the reveal date draws closer. As reported by Seeking Alpha, AMD senior vice president Forrest Norrod had this to say during the Deutsche Bank 2020 conference call.

“So you know that first Zen 1 Core was great and hugely cored, but Zen2 was as well. And Zen 3, that’s at the heart of our next-generation products is also a tremendously powerful architecture and you know right on the trajectory that we needed to be on.”

After spending most of the year assuring consumers that the pandemic hadn’t caused Zen 3 to be delayed until 2021, AMD confirmed its unveiling date last week. The first series of Ryzen 4000 desktop processors will be shown off on October 8 at 12 pm ET, while graphics card fans can see the next-gen Radeon 6000 cards, aka Big Navi, a few weeks later when they debut on October 28 at 12 pm ET.

Calling Zen 3 “tremendously powerful” might be more than just hyperbole from AMD. The platform’s architecture, which powers Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs, is not only said to bring huge IPC (instructions per clock) gains—possibly as much as 20% compared to its predecessor—but also comes with faster clocks (around 200 – 300 MHz) and improved efficiency.

Back in August, we saw a purported leak of the Ryzen 9 4950X—a 16-core/32-thread CPU with a boost frequency reaching 4.8 GHz. If accurate, it could finally give team red's chips the edge against rival Intel when it comes to gaming.

Permalink to story.

I've been using costly Intel CPUs for ages. Now I'm considering AMD CPUs. But I'm unsure. How is the life span of AMD CPUs comparing to Intel CPUs?

I've been using costly Intel CPUs for ages. Now I'm considering AMD CPUs. But I'm unsure. How is the life span of AMD CPUs comparing to Intel CPUs?
Older generations aged poorly. The athlon 64's limited L2 cache became a big issue 5+ years on wiht the growing size of web interfaces, the phenom II was decent but outmatched by even sandy bridge in games, and the less said of construction cores the better.

Ryzen is different though. While it still is somewhat slower then intel in games, it demonstrably has better IPC then intel, and outperforms intel in everything else. While games will always prefer low latency single core performance, I cant imagine ryzen would age any worse then intel parts do, given the sheer power of a zen core, especially with zen 2 closing the gap. It also has a large gap, and with new consoles having larger caches as well, this could be trouble for intel down the road moreso then for AMD.

Hadnt been this excited about new cpus in decades. I used to upgraded because current cpu is obsolete but now want new ryzen because of perf improvements (helps that reselling is easier than ever thanks to online market places).

Picked up 3700x last year gonna pick up 5900x (4900x).

Older generations aged poorly. The athlon 64's limited L2 cache became a big issue 5+ years on...
That's a processor from the early 2000s. ALL processors aged poorly then, as Moore's Law was in full force, and if you kept a CPU for two years even, the latest chips would destroy it.

Does AMD offer any kind of Trade-up program that anyone knows about?

Would be pretty awesome to trade in zen2 for a discount on zen3.

I'd like to get it but I don't want to replace my mobo in the process. I guess I'll be fine with upgrading to Zen 2 from my Zen 1 processor

Im guessing better than current gen Intel? But thats just because current gen AMD run cooler. And thats only going to be applicable if you often use heavily multithreaded apps like blender, code compiler or similar. Typically cpu lifespan is highly dependant on temps, and a lot of the time you should find your motherboard dying before your cpu. But I Mean... Neither is likely to die inside of normal use frames unless defective.

I have an AMD Phenom X6 1100t that I retired this year. I used it for the last 9 years before upgrading to the Ryzen series. These chips are work horses. I have complete confidence recommending AMD CPUs.

Y its called the used market ;)

Used market don't work. People buy for peanuts only and sell for 95% of original value later.
And you need to buy a new one and hope the old one sells. Trade-up sends you a new one and already gives a discount provided you send the old back in a certain time frame.

A couple weeks ago I fired up my old Athlon 64 3200+ laptop that I got when I was in college (I think around 2004), it still worked fine. Granted it was running Windows XP and I didn't want to connect it to the network, but it worked. Up until the Core 2 Intel processors, I used lots of AMD systems, my first computer was an AMD 386. Never had any problems with their CPUs. Most likely it will survive until you want a performance upgrade.

Used market don't work. People buy for peanuts only and sell for 95% of original value later.
And you need to buy a new one and hope the old one sells. Trade-up sends you a new one and already gives a discount provided you send the old back in a certain time frame.

Facebook marketplace has worked well for me (helps I live in a big city). There's always the right price for someone, just depends on how much of a hurry you are to sell. I ignore people who haggle esp if it's already priced to move.

It's been ages since I built a new PC and with all this interesting new hardware I think I might be tempted . Perhaps 4700X, 3070 GPU, 1TB M.2 SSD. 16GB RAM. Just got to start saving :(

Older generations aged poorly. The athlon 64's limited L2 cache became a big issue 5+ years on wiht the growing size of web interfaces, the phenom II was decent but outmatched by even sandy bridge in games, and the less said of construction cores the better.

Ryzen is different though. While it still is somewhat slower then intel in games, it demonstrably has better IPC then intel, and outperforms intel in everything else. While games will always prefer low latency single core performance, I cant imagine ryzen would age any worse then intel parts do, given the sheer power of a zen core, especially with zen 2 closing the gap. It also has a large gap, and with new consoles having larger caches as well, this could be trouble for intel down the road moreso then for AMD.

Think I saw a review where this was already happening - a 1600X was put up against a 7700K with a modern GPU and games and, although at launch in 2017 the 7700K was faster in gaming - the 1600X smoked it in 2020

Not sure what market you’re in but I’ve never heard of buyers both simultaneously paying peanuts and also 95% of RRP anywhere...

Deffo not really a jump worth making. This’ll be similar to RyZen 1000-2000. Wait for 5000 with DDR5 and the new socket.

Only Intel operate a chip trade scheme. Send them your prev gen chip and they sell you a 'next gen' for an inflated price - usually +10% over msrp, but with the same performance.
But hey! It's got a new logo.

Back