AMD releases Catalyst 11.5 drivers, 11.5a hotfix

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's only been two weeks since the last official Catalyst update, but AMD has slipped out a fresh driver suite and hotfix today. Considering the brief window since Catalyst 11.4's release, it should come as no surprise that version 11.5 doesn't contain anything too spectacular, but AMD has ironed out a few kinks alongside a couple of adjustments to Hydravision.

According to 11.5's release notes, the HydraGrid feature found in HydraVision is now aware of user-created bezels. HydraGrid now also includes an "Automatic Grid" option that aligns to the user-defined display layout. AMD also solved one bug in Windows XP and seven in Windows 7. The XP flaw appears to be limited to Civilization V, causing the game to crash upon launch when Crossfire is enabled.

Download Catalyst 11.5 Drivers

Desktop: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Mobile: Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

The Windows 7 flaws included two that crashed PowerDVD, one that caused VC1 videos to hang in WMP, an issue with Avivo settings in the AMD Vision Engine Control Center, one that caused visual corruption in BioShock, and two transcoding bugs (MPEG-2 to H.264 and H.264 to AVCHD). As we said, there's not much going on in Catalyst 11.5, at least when it comes to performance optimizations.

Download Catalyst 11.5a Hotfix

Meanwhile, the Catalyst 11.5a hotfix offers speed enhancements for Splash Damage's Brink, which launches tomorrow. It also delivers another transcoding fix along with resolving an issue with mouse cursor lag. Another bug caused flickering problems with the Radeon HD 6600 series cards when playing various games in DirectX 9, including Civ V, Dead Rising 2, Fallout 3, Mafia 2, StarCraft 2 and WoW.

Permalink to story.

I'm glad to see AMD really putting time and effort into the driver support for the HD Series cards. I'm a long time ATI/AMD user and I've been very impressed with the improvements AMD has made to the software. Kudos

Am I the only one surprised not to see mentions of Crysis 2 bugfixes yet?
I don't own a ATI card but there where lots of mentions of problems, especially with crossfire.
And btw I'm not blaming ATI for not fixing it, for all I know it's up to Crytek (which is my point)

I have been fighting AMD (ATI) blue screen crashes for the past six months, on mutiple computers. I finally got fed up with their buggy drivers and replaced all my ATI video cards with nVidia cards. End of blue screen crashes. Sorry ATI but your buggy drivers will never be haunting me again. It is really a shame because I use their processors all the time with good results. But can't say much for the video cards.

Per Hansson said:
I don't own a ATI card but there where lots of mentions of problems, especially with crossfire.
And btw I'm not blaming ATI for not fixing it, for all I know it's up to Crytek (which is my point)

I think that was fixed since 11.3. (cap 3)
I use 2 HD 5770 in cf with no problems.
Sorry for double posting (forgot to quote).

Ther was a release,(11.2) maybe that addressed 'background flickering ' with quad CF. and a cap that 'improved performance'..ahem, but other that ..Nada.
I think you are correct. the game is broken. It also heats up my GPU's unlike any other game.

red1776 said:

Ther was a release,(11.2) maybe that addressed 'background flickering ' with quad CF. and a cap that 'improved performance'..ahem, but other that ..Nada.
I think you are correct. the game is broken. It also heats up my GPU's unlike any other game.

I actually get worse framerates in Crysis 2 than I did in the first game despite the fact that it looks worse. And I just came from a gtx 260 to an hd 5850 which also lowered my framerates despite the hd 5850 being a much better card. God damn games that favor a certain gpu company for some reason.

Oh and I love how everyone on techspot flamed me when I claimed it was an inferior game graphically when the demo came out. And now everybody is like "oh ya crysis 1 looked way better."

Princeton said:
"God damn games that favor a certain gpu company for some reason.
"

Yeah,it really irks when you see the tagline "the way its meant to be played-NVIDIA" on some games...

Yeah,it really irks when you see the tagline "the way its meant to be played-NVIDIA" on some games...

All because Nvidia has more money to invest in these games. I've never seen an ati banner when I boot up a game.

I do give Nvidia credit though, CCC is **** compared to my old Nvidia control panel.

All because Nvidia has more money to invest in these games. I've never seen an ati banner when I boot up a game.
From memory I'd say that Shogun 2, F1 2010, DAO, Stalker:CoP all have an AMD splash screen, as will in all likelihood Deus Ex:Human Revolution. If AMD continue to step up to the plate then all good for the gaming community. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of it's predecessor GITG

I do give Nvidia credit though, CCC is **** compared to my old Nvidia control panel.
Me too- but CCC is a lot better than it used to be...if you're a tweaker then I's suggest RadeonPro and/or ATI Tray tools - where there's a will, there's a way.

Back