AMD reports record quarterly and yearly revenue, Navi refresh and next-gen RDNA coming...

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: AMD has announced its Q4 2019 and full year 2019 earnings results, and it’s mostly good news. The firm broke quarterly and yearly revenue records, but its stock fell around 4 percent on the back of a softer outlook for Q1 2020. CEO Dr. Lisa Su also revealed that the Navi Refresh and RDNA 2 would both arrive this year.

AMD brought in a record $2.13 billion of revenue in the fourth quarter, marking a 50 percent increase compared to Q3 2019. It was also a record-breaking year for the company, with $6.73 billion of revenue generated—a 4 percent jump compared to a year earlier.

"2019 marked a significant milestone in our multi-year journey as we successfully launched and ramped the strongest product portfolio in our 50-year history,” said Su.

In the company’s Computing and Graphics arm, Ryzen and Radeon products helped revenue jump 69 percent YoY to $4.7 billion. Quarterly revenue was also up, by 30 percent to $1.66 billion. Su said that AMD’s 7nm products and Ryzen Mobile processors droves sales, with the company recording its highest CPU sales in six years. Radeon RX 5000 sales, meanwhile, helped graphic unit shipments grow by a “double-digit” percentage YoY.

It wasn’t all good news. The company’s Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom (EESC) segment brought in less revenue than analysts expected. While it did see increased sales of EPYC processors, there were “lower semi-custom sales” as fewer consumers bought consoles in anticipation for the next-gen machines’ arrival later this year. The $465 million of revenue brought in by the EESC arm during Q4 was down 11 percent QoQ, while the $2 billion it generated across 2019 was down 14 percent from a year earlier.

Additionally, the Q1 2020 outlook of $1.8 billion, while up 48 percent YoY, was softer than expected, contributing to the drop in the share price.

Su also confirmed that AMD will introduce the 7nm Navi refresh and its next-gen RDNA architecture this year. "In 2019 we launched our new architecture in GPUs, it’s the RDNA architecture, and that was [in] the Navi-based products. You should expect those will be refreshed in 2020 and we'll have our new next-generation RDNA architecture that will be part of our 2020 lineup," said the CEO.

Image credit: Joseph GTK via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Increase in cash, decrease in debt... more/better products to come..... what's not to love it

Agree. Better Epyc sales would be nice, but beating „meet the comp“ funds seems hard.
If AMD can manage to do for laptops what they did on desktop / hedt that would help getting more traction with OEM.

Increase in cash, decrease in debt... more/better products to come..... what's not to love it

Investors expected better.

Understand, the markets reflect the expectation of future value, not current value. The expectation is in the short term AMD will perform worse, and the decline in stock price reflects that.

I was going to go AMD last year but decided to wait and see what comes up this year, especially if they can get a handle on their sub-par graphic drivers. I won't be buying AMD until I see the reviews of the 5700 XT (or whatever the 'refresh' is) reflect that. The price is always better than Nvidia and I do have a Freesync monitor, but I'm not willing to deal with constant driver issues.

Last edited:
I was going to go AMD last year but decided to wait and see what comes up this year, especially if they can get a handle on their sub-par graphic drivers. I won't be buying AMD until I see the reviews of the 5700 XT (or whatever the 'refresh' is) reflect that. The price is always better than Nvidia and I do have a Freesync monitor, but I'm not willing to deal with constant driver issues.

Same thing in my scenario. I've been burned multiple times by drivers from ATI (now AMD) for several of their video cards. Even if their next card was cheaper and like 50% faster, I would have a hard time justifying buying one of their cards. I realize a lot of people don't have issues, but the ones I've had are well documented, including AMD blowing off their customers. I've never had an issue with nvidia.

That being said if I did decide on AMD, then I would have to purchase some kind of extra buyer's insurance. This would increase the cost of the card and likely make it cost more. It would lead me back to nvidia cards. I appreciate competition though.

I've never had an issue with nvidia.

Driver wise, I've never had a real problem with either AMD or nVidia going back 20+years.

But...Had a laptop with an an AMD CPU + nVidia GPU die on me (bumpgate) and my INtel Atom / nVidia Ion mini PC also started to have serious hdd data corruption issues to the point where it could not be used- changed the hdd and cables, checked memory - no errors detected but data on the hdd continued to get corrupted.

So in summary, both systems I had that had serious hw issues (not counting a desktop PC that went bad due to bad caps) had one common denominator...

Back to AMD - I will know soon if the 5xxx series has these serious driver issues, or not once the card arrives. Here's hoping not, but the RX550 in my old desktop system has not caused any major issues except for the stupid driver installer which ironically had issues because the system also has an older AMD APU. That was annoying.

Driver wise, I've never had a real problem with either AMD or nVidia going back 20+years.

But...Had a laptop with an an AMD CPU + nVidia GPU die on me (bumpgate) and my INtel Atom / nVidia Ion mini PC also started to have serious hdd data corruption issues to the point where it could not be used- changed the hdd and cables, checked memory - no errors detected but data on the hdd continued to get corrupted.

So in summary, both systems I had that had serious hw issues (not counting a desktop PC that went bad due to bad caps) had one common denominator...

Back to AMD - I will know soon if the 5xxx series has these serious driver issues, or not once the card arrives. Here's hoping not, but the RX550 in my old desktop system has not caused any major issues except for the stupid driver installer which ironically had issues because the system also has an older AMD APU. That was annoying.

What common denominator are you referring to? The video card? If so, I think this is the first time I've heard someone say in 25+ years that a video card was the cause of hard drive corruption. Interesting. If you think it was the software drivers, an uninstall of the drivers would validate that.

What common denominator are you referring to? The video card? If so, I think this is the first time I've heard someone say in 25+ years that a video card was the cause of hard drive corruption. Interesting. If you think it was the software drivers, an uninstall of the drivers would validate that.
The common denominator was nVidia. On the laptop, the GPU broke (bad solder - was a common problem for nVidia at the time, hence „Bumpgate“). On the mini PC, I suspect the nVidia chipset broke / had issues, at least I suspect this.

Ion was actually a chipset with North- and Southbridge functionality, so it did handle memory and Sata.

Last edited:

There was that one OS bricking driver from Nvidia about 2 years back so I wouldn't say it's impossible but yeah, extremely rare.

4 months ago now, but he does mention at the end that the AMD drivers caused a lot of issues switching resolutions that required frequent restarts. For me the 2060 Super and 5700XT are interchangeable and I would lean towards Nvidia just for the drivers, but we'll see what happens (DLSS & RT is a 'possible' bonus too):

Investors expected better.

Understand, the markets reflect the expectation of future value, not current value. The expectation is in the short term AMD will perform worse, and the decline in stock price reflects that.

The decline reflects nothing more than the delusions of imbeciles that would much prefer you lay-off staff and give the CEO a fat bonus. The stockmarket is a farce.

Back