AMD Ryzen 3600XT, 3800XT and 3900XT Review

Kind of expected this since they had pretty much identical all-core clocks (X vs XT).

Both AMD and Intel chips barely stays at those claimed boost clocks for more than a split-second before throttling. Looks good on paper tho...

Very weird release, since we already knew AMD maxed the X chips out to begin with (they actually said this themselves, and told people to get non-X models if they wanted OC headroom).

There's barely any OC headroom just like on Intel's top offerings lately. But this is probably a good thing for most people and I personally don't care.

It would be stupid not to wait for 4000 series anyway - maybe other 3000 series SKUs will get cheaper because of XT tho.

How about RAM overclocking with these new refreshed Matisse CPU ? I remember something about better IO die that are capable of higher IF clocks (3800mhz-4000mhz is possible). Would be nice to know if higher frequency RAM can bring additional performance.

About what I expected. The XT versions very minimal improvement over the X versions, but I think that's okay seeing as they are the XTs launch at the same MSRPs as the Xs. More options for consumers are a win, especially when they will only help to lower the prices of the Xs.

If I was buying a new CPU right now it would be the 10900K

Thanks for the benchmarks. It affirmed what I already expected.

AMD does great at workstations but Intel KILLS on gaming.

Not hating on AMD tho...I do invest in their stock.

Pretty much as excepted.

There was no base clock increase which would have came with a TDP increase.

What would have been nice was a FCLK boost to say 2000 but never happened.

EXACTLY.

If people only purchased from logic, Toyota, Honda and cheap clothing would rule the world.

Considering that the most popular cars in the US are from Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda, I think it's safe to say that by your reasoning they "rule the world".

I'm not going to look into cheap clothing, but I have a feeling with the affordable clothes that sweatshops sell to joints like Wal-Mart, they probably have that covered too.

Isn't it a bit too early for AMD to go the Intel way? To say this is a refresh is a lot. It's just the same CPUs repackaged, that's it.

I have never seen a rebrand as limited as this. In the Intel quad core days we would get better TIM and/or an actual noticeably different clock speed between the gens etc.

I am reaching the end of life for my outstanding i7 4790k. I had hoped these XT chips could offer more than the 10 series Intel parts in gaming for a more reasonable price. No such luck. I am firmly waiting until about this time next year (bonus time) and I’ll probably buy whichever brand can perform the quickest at games for under £1000 for the mobo, RAM and CPU.

Also, to all the fanboys, we’ve seen AMD backtrack on socket compatibility, raise their prices and milk a node for profit. Just like Intel. The two companies are the same. Stop treating AMD like they care about you. They don’t!

This is pretty strange release. I expect main reason was that Zen2 Ryzens are now one year old and this way AMD releases something "new".

Another theory is that these XT Ryzens are test drive. TSMC made some changes to manufacturing process. And since AMD is using same chiplets on Epyc's too, AMD just tests if there are any issues with these new "XT chiplets" before silently starting to use them on Epycs. No source for this, my own theory.

Also, to all the fanboys, we’ve seen AMD backtrack on socket compatibility, raise their prices and milk a node for profit. Just like Intel. The two companies are the same. Stop treating AMD like they care about you. They don’t!

More information about "milk node for profit" and "backtrack on socket compatibility"?

Isn't it a bit too early for AMD to go the Intel way? To say this is a refresh is a lot. It's just the same CPUs repackaged, that's it.

Zen 3 is coming out end of the year, it would have really made no sense to release something was going to give a 10+% boost at this point. And I agree this isn't much of a refresh looks to be just clearing out silicon.

I think everyone will be very happy with what is coming.

Zen 3 is coming out end of the year, it would have really made no sense to release something was going to give a 10+% boost at this point. And I agree this isn't much of a refresh looks to be just clearing out silicon.

I think everyone will be very happy with what is coming.

This was a refresh not a rebrand.

lol where did AMD touch you?

I have never seen a rebrand as limited as this. In the Intel quad core days we would get better TIM and/or an actual noticeably different clock speed between the gens etc.

I am reaching the end of life for my outstanding i7 4790k. I had hoped these XT chips could offer more than the 10 series Intel parts in gaming for a more reasonable price. No such luck.

Seriously?

No person who reads this website's reviews expected that in any possible way. Nobody. There was an exactly zero chance that a 100 MHz clock bump could have closed the gap between Zen 2 and Intel in 2080 Ti gaming. Anyone who can read a blue bar graph knew that.

I am firmly waiting until about this time next year (bonus time) and I’ll probably buy whichever brand can perform the quickest at games for under £1000 for the mobo, RAM and CPU.

And this is why I know you weren't actually expecting anything at all from the XT chips. Because you're making a rational decision to wait for next gen parts like everyone else.

It looks like pretty much all the review sites are saying the same thing.

The question is will AMD get the message? IMO, that will depend on whether people chose to buy them or not.

Seriously?

No person who reads this website's reviews expected that in any possible way. Nobody. There was an exactly zero chance that a 100 MHz clock bump could have closed the gap between Zen 2 and Intel in 2080 Ti gaming. Anyone who can read a blue bar graph knew that.

And this is why I know you weren't actually expecting anything at all from the XT chips. Because you're making a rational decision to wait for next gen parts like everyone else.
I will admit the leaks didn’t look promising. I just hoped that what we got was different to the leaks. And here’s a piece of advice mate, leaks can often be wrong.

however, if the leaks were wrong and these XT chips did push AMD ahead of Intel in gaming I would have almost certainly purchased A 570 board (one with no fan - I really have a problem with that!) and whichever chip and RAM I can get for under £1000. I want to spend the money but I want more performance than I’d currently get as I’m coming from an overclocked 4790K. Intels stuff isn’t much better but costs way more and requires too much cooling for my liking. Although I’d prefer that to a chipset with a dam fan in it!

Back