AMD Ryzen 7 6800U and Intel Core i7-1260P Review

I really thought Alder Lake E cores would be a big boost to battery life for some reason. I was waiting to replace my Samsung Chromebook Pro with an Alder Lake Chromebook, maybe an Acer Spin model, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll find a deal on an 11th gen instead.

Thanks for the review.

I am curious: what‘s the short term boost (duration and power) for each of the CPU ?

So what is the price of each laptop ?? Since the intel laptop is using DDR4, I'm going to assume it is cheaper

Last edited:
Probably worth noting in the review that OLED panels typically have higher power draw than IPS, which makes the 6800U battery life results even more impressive.

It is pretty clear that when Intel announced the 'efficiency cores' they were referring to die area efficiency, not power efficiency. Nearly every Alder Lake laptop refresh has led to multi-hour reductions in battery life from 11th gen. Yes it is more powerful, but efficiency (performance/watt) hasn't improved nearly as much as people were expecting from 12th gen.

I really thought Alder Lake E cores would be a big boost to battery life for some reason

And they are, well, at least inside Intel's world, not comparing to AMD or Apple.

Performance per watt:
Apple > AMD > Intel

iGPU per Watt
Apple > AMD >>> Intel

Single core performance
Intel > Apple / AMD (not sure now with the M2)

Sold units to OEMs due to very aggressive pressure
Intel >>>>>>>>>>>>>> AMD

I hope Microsoft releases a SP10 with Zen 4 + RDNA 3 graphics.

And they are, well, at least inside Intel's world, not comparing to AMD or Apple.

Performance per watt:
Apple > AMD > Intel

iGPU per Watt
Apple > AMD >>> Intel

Single core performance
Intel > Apple / AMD (not sure now with the M2)

Sold units to OEMs due to very aggressive pressure
Intel >>>>>>>>>>>>>> AMD

I hope Microsoft releases a SP10 with Zen 4 + RDNA 3 graphics.
6000u/h availability is scarce because amd is prioritizing epyc cpu production over anything else due to its much higher profit margin and long backlog of server cpu purchase orders.
Intel can produce much more xeons but only desperate customers buy it.

What we learned, Intel's iGPU is still utter trash, so much for Xe and thin and light laptops suck the life out of performance.

Honestly in this segment I'd rather have Apple M1/M2, but in the next tier up I'll be waiting for Phoenix Point. Zen 4 finally gets AI accelerators and RDNA3 will annihilate Raptor Lake's iGPU. Clearly the 6800U is a more balanced processor across all types of workloads.

Intel has an endless advantage over AMD in ports (despite the AMD declarations about support for USB40 (EGPU?)) In Zen3+. You cannot buy a laptop with TB4.0 (EGPU) with AMD, but with Intel it is easy. Look at the ThinkBook 15 G2 Itl - even with i5 1135G7/i7 1165G7 you can easily play in the most modern games in high quality and with high FPS, easily connecting the EGPU to even the future GTX4080 laptop. With any AMD, a laptop, without exception, even a class of "game", as soon as a broken discrete card is morally obsolete, that's all. And from 1260p and even with i7 1165g7 you will calmly play games on the office laptop at home by connecting an external video card, with good quiet cooling and without any TDP restrictions. And this is not to mention the mass of other capabilities TB4.0 of the port, which you will not have on the AMD either. Already only this one puts a fat cross on the choice of Alder Lake Vs Zen3+. And even on Tiger Lake Vs Zen3.

And only in the case of heavy multi -flow tasks - for example, several virtual machines at the same time, AMD comes forward, but again, with his brake controller of memory, he is not good in all tasks, which is proved by Photoshop tests.

Moreover, if there is already a question of heavy multi -flow tasks, you are unlikely to want to listen to the cooler how to listen to the howls during working hours. And this means that owning a laptop for such tasks is simply pointless, except for rare tasks of work somewhere "on the knee" in the "field". And at home, purely for dragging around the rooms (if there is no separate room with a workplace and a stationary powerful (and most importantly - silent, if a person is adequate) a working computer) is not at all important, and only silence in work, I.e. High -quality cooling system. And then immediately it becomes clear what is more important.

From my point of view of the game on a laptop, even on "game" this is a fool, rather for some strange "poor" people. Who do not have their own room, but who are ready to pay for an expensive "game" laptop from 3080 (and it makes no sense less and it makes no sense).

For full operation, the laptop screen is still not enough, but if you still have to work on it, then at least 15.6 with a full -sized keyboard and the right, standard digital unit (which is not in all Chinese laptops, with the exception of Lenovo). And again, a quiet cooling system is more important here, and not the maximum processor speed. What is the point of maximum speed if you are forced to listen to the worship of the coolers at 40db+?

On the other hand, if you take autonomy, it is clearly visible that Intel completely failed this task in Alder Lake, despite the supposedly "energy-efficient" cores. And where is their work and benefit from the battery? It is not. Their processors all also consume more AMD processors with 7nm, despite all bravura declarations and marketing tricks. There are no miracles - 10nm is NOT equal to 7nm TSMC, the latter technology is clearly better!

Alas, the absence of the port of TB3.0/4.0 on laptops with the AMD processor crosses out the universality of the purchase completely.
I bought in 2018 Dell G5 with GTX1050, it model can also work through the eGPU bridge even with future GTX4090TI (and the desktop version, which is obviously 30-40% faster than the same mobile!). And the latest laptops with 35-45W AMD processors cannot do this. When I bought it, the maximum in the series was GTX1060. But now, if I want, I can easily connect the desktop version of the GTX3080TI to the laptop from 2018 year, and with quiet homemade (liquid) cooling under the my room table. And the owners of laptops with newest 5800h/5900HS 2021 and even future owners of 6600H/6800h/6900HS will not be able to upgrade GPU. Manufacturers still do not add a TB4.0(Intel trademark) port (aka standart port level of "USB40") in a model with AMD. Thus, buyers of laptops with AMD immediately find themselves in an unequal(worst) position with buyers of laptops with Intel. And if earlier, the AMD at least compensated for this failure (flaw) with much greater performance in multitasking mode, now it has practically no advantages left, although Aftin is slightly higher.

The most interesting thing is that in the market in 2021 the situation 2020 and 2019 was repeated - when to find a laptop on fresh nuclei in class 15.6 "+ was almost unrealistic in stores (especially with a full -fledged keyboard, I.e. from the top three - HP/Dell/Lenovo, Other keyboard manufacturers are always inferior - spoiled (mutilated due to designers) digital key block).

Given the fact that Intel still has more than 75% of the mobile processor market, the chances of finding a decent laptop with AMD in class 15.6"+ are practically reduced to zero on fresh cores in 2022. In 2021, in fact, only one office model with U processor selled (and a normal full keyboard) - HP Probook G8 455. There were practically no others! Or there was something wrong with the memory expansion to 32-64GB in two-channel mode!

AMD is simply not capable of ensuring the production of a sufficient number of processors for TSMC all these 3 years. Why did someone decide that in 2022 it would be different?

I personally observed the picture in retail networks when the one model (the only one with Zen3) in class 15.6"+ accounted for up to 10 models with i5/i7 Tiger Lake. 1:10! This is simply incomprehensible to the mind, as the AMD loses the market due to the inability to produce more processors on TSMC. Here she is her Achilles heel - Fabless company in all her "color" ...

Intel is leisurely selling the bulk of laptops and spawn flares up all the profit from the market. Like Apple in smartphones ...

AMD has a performance advantage over Intel in this form factor, as well as an efficiency advantage. Cooling is not an issue when you consume so little power, it is a problem for Intel though. Your argument that AMD is disadvantaged by no thunderbolt 4 support is retarded, because for the price of the enclosure and gpu you could've just upgraded to a higher tier laptop instead of being a tard. Finally, AMD doesn't need a bunch of models to wipe the floor with Intel in the laptop space, they do need volume, but being a smaller company they can't buy the manufacturing capacity from tsmc like Intel. It's not a fab difference, it's a size difference. That's why AMD is currently trying to take Server market share from Intel, because that's big money, that's where a lot of their chips go.

You're comparing 2 processors. So why don't these reviews have these 2 processors highlighted in a different colour to all the other processors in the charts? The previous generation processors could be shown in a slightly faded version of these colours. All the other table entries could be shown in grey. This would make things so much easier to read.

Intel has an endless advantage over AMD in ports (despite the AMD declarations about support for USB40 (EGPU?)) In Zen3+. You cannot buy a laptop with TB4.0 (EGPU) with AMD, but with Intel it is easy. Look at the ThinkBook 15 G2 Itl - even with i5 1135G7/i7 1165G7 you can easily play in the most modern games in high quality and with high FPS, easily connecting the EGPU to even the future GTX4080 laptop. With any AMD, a laptop, without exception, even a class of "game", as soon as a broken discrete card is morally obsolete, that's all. And from 1260p and even with i7 1165g7 you will calmly play games on the office laptop at home by connecting an external video card, with good quiet cooling and without any TDP restrictions. And this is not to mention the mass of other capabilities TB4.0 of the port, which you will not have on the AMD either. Already only this one puts a fat cross on the choice of Alder Lake Vs Zen3+. And even on Tiger Lake Vs Zen3.

And only in the case of heavy multi -flow tasks - for example, several virtual machines at the same time, AMD comes forward, but again, with his brake controller of memory, he is not good in all tasks, which is proved by Photoshop tests.

Moreover, if there is already a question of heavy multi -flow tasks, you are unlikely to want to listen to the cooler how to listen to the howls during working hours. And this means that owning a laptop for such tasks is simply pointless, except for rare tasks of work somewhere "on the knee" in the "field". And at home, purely for dragging around the rooms (if there is no separate room with a workplace and a stationary powerful (and most importantly - silent, if a person is adequate) a working computer) is not at all important, and only silence in work, I.e. High -quality cooling system. And then immediately it becomes clear what is more important.

From my point of view of the game on a laptop, even on "game" this is a fool, rather for some strange "poor" people. Who do not have their own room, but who are ready to pay for an expensive "game" laptop from 3080 (and it makes no sense less and it makes no sense).

For full operation, the laptop screen is still not enough, but if you still have to work on it, then at least 15.6 with a full -sized keyboard and the right, standard digital unit (which is not in all Chinese laptops, with the exception of Lenovo). And again, a quiet cooling system is more important here, and not the maximum processor speed. What is the point of maximum speed if you are forced to listen to the worship of the coolers at 40db+?

On the other hand, if you take autonomy, it is clearly visible that Intel completely failed this task in Alder Lake, despite the supposedly "energy-efficient" cores. And where is their work and benefit from the battery? It is not. Their processors all also consume more AMD processors with 7nm, despite all bravura declarations and marketing tricks. There are no miracles - 10nm is NOT equal to 7nm TSMC, the latter technology is clearly better!

Alas, the absence of the port of TB3.0/4.0 on laptops with the AMD processor crosses out the universality of the purchase completely.
I bought in 2018 Dell G5 with GTX1050, it model can also work through the eGPU bridge even with future GTX4090TI (and the desktop version, which is obviously 30-40% faster than the same mobile!). And the latest laptops with 35-45W AMD processors cannot do this. When I bought it, the maximum in the series was GTX1060. But now, if I want, I can easily connect the desktop version of the GTX3080TI to the laptop from 2018 year, and with quiet homemade (liquid) cooling under the my room table. And the owners of laptops with newest 5800h/5900HS 2021 and even future owners of 6600H/6800h/6900HS will not be able to upgrade GPU. Manufacturers still do not add a TB4.0(Intel trademark) port (aka standart port level of "USB40") in a model with AMD. Thus, buyers of laptops with AMD immediately find themselves in an unequal(worst) position with buyers of laptops with Intel. And if earlier, the AMD at least compensated for this failure (flaw) with much greater performance in multitasking mode, now it has practically no advantages left, although Aftin is slightly higher.

The most interesting thing is that in the market in 2021 the situation 2020 and 2019 was repeated - when to find a laptop on fresh nuclei in class 15.6 "+ was almost unrealistic in stores (especially with a full -fledged keyboard, I.e. from the top three - HP/Dell/Lenovo, Other keyboard manufacturers are always inferior - spoiled (mutilated due to designers) digital key block).

Given the fact that Intel still has more than 75% of the mobile processor market, the chances of finding a decent laptop with AMD in class 15.6"+ are practically reduced to zero on fresh cores in 2022. In 2021, in fact, only one office model with U processor selled (and a normal full keyboard) - HP Probook G8 455. There were practically no others! Or there was something wrong with the memory expansion to 32-64GB in two-channel mode!

AMD is simply not capable of ensuring the production of a sufficient number of processors for TSMC all these 3 years. Why did someone decide that in 2022 it would be different?

I personally observed the picture in retail networks when the one model (the only one with Zen3) in class 15.6"+ accounted for up to 10 models with i5/i7 Tiger Lake. 1:10! This is simply incomprehensible to the mind, as the AMD loses the market due to the inability to produce more processors on TSMC. Here she is her Achilles heel - Fabless company in all her "color" ...

Intel is leisurely selling the bulk of laptops and spawn flares up all the profit from the market. Like Apple in smartphones ...
This comment from "NikoB" is spam, I saw this same comment on Notebookcheck, and it is certainly copying and pasting on several other sites.But anyway, AMD is already adding USB4 support to the 6000 series, pcworld tested it recently (an AMD beta bios) and basically everything worked as it should.

Thanks for the review.

I am curious: what‘s the short term boost (duration and power) for each of the CPU ?
Notebookcheck did a comparison of the Ryzen 7 6800U vs Intel Core i7 1260P and on Lenovo models (Yoga 9i 14) the short-term consumption of the 1260P was up to 64W (PL2) while the Ryzen 6800u is limited to 30W. This contributes to Intel's single-core performance gain, but hurts overall efficiency. The impression that this gives is that Intel is determined to keep the single-core performance crown, whatever the cost in terms of consumption. Interestingly, the first benchmarks of Apple's M2 chip show it beating the single-core intel at a much lower frequency (3.49GHz)....

Ps: I don't know if you can post a link, but the efficiency comparison that notebookchek did is here:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...iew-Zen3-beats-Intel-Alder-Lake.623763.0.html

Notebookcheck did a comparison of the Ryzen 7 6800U vs Intel Core i7 1260P and on Lenovo models (Yoga 9i 14) the short-term consumption of the 1260P was up to 64W (PL2) while the Ryzen 6800u is limited to 30W. This contributes to Intel's single-core performance gain, but hurts overall efficiency. The impression that this gives is that Intel is determined to keep the single-core performance crown, whatever the cost in terms of consumption. Interestingly, the first benchmarks of Apple's M2 chip show it beating the single-core intel at a much lower frequency (3.49GHz)....

Ps: I don't know if you can post a link, but the efficiency comparison that notebookchek did is here:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...iew-Zen3-beats-Intel-Alder-Lake.623763.0.html
Thanks. That‘s what I expected - Intel turns up the juice so reviewers can go ‚Yipee - super ST performance‘ while conveniently omitting how much power is used to achieve that.

Note: Maybe the notebook as tested didn‘t use as much but since this was not mentioned and more importantly measured we don‘t know.

"You cannot buy a laptop with TB4.0 (EGPU) with AMD"

You can buy a notebook with USB 4 ( EGPU) with AMD. There you go.

What I'll really like to see is laptops with OCuLink ports and external OCuLink enclosures. That's a cheaper and simpler alternative to ThunderBolt/USB4 that's already in use in the server space.

Back