AMD to deploy new "Vision" marketing campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

For tech enthusiasts, purchasing a new computer -- or even just a video card -- is a parade that model numbers and specifications can't rain on. However, for the typical folks who stroll into Best Buy or Wal-Mart and cart out a new PC, deciphering gigabytes from gigahertz can be a humbling experience.

AMD is looking to ease up on the Average Joe with a new marketing campaign that will lump its twenty-plus CPU and GPU categories into only three: Vision Basic, Vision Premium and Vision Ultimate. The chip maker will associate various activities with each new category to help customers figure out what level of performance they can expect. Naturally, Basic machines will be for the lowliest of tasks, those stamped with Premium will be equipped to consume digital media, and Ultimate systems will be able to create content.

AMD expects to deploy another category in the first quarter of next year, Vision Black, which will be aimed at high-end desktop enthusiasts. At least four computer makers have signed on to the new marketing scheme, including Acer. The first notebook system to use the "Vision" nomenclature will arrive before the October 22 launch of Windows 7.

Permalink to story.

Its funny to hear AMD saying that specs are not as important as real life functions. This is the same company that tried to dismiss Intel's first Quads as not being "true" quads because of their architecture. However, this is probably a good marketing campaign for them. I hope it works out and their market share increases. I mostly use AMD processors so I would hate to see them go out of business.

AMD is a great company, and I love the 4870 card. Who else can you get a $100 quad core cpu from? This campaign seems to be a step up from Intel's star rating and brains, which as far as I know only applies to the processor. I'd like to see what kind of response Intel or Nvidia have for this.

Instead of "premium" they should have went with "professional". It's works just fine as it is, but consumers would also have windows using the same marketing scheme.
Anyway, the way things are right now, if you don't know anything about hardware then it's almost impossible to tell which one is good enough for what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back