AMD to discuss 'next-generation image upscaling' at GDC 2022

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: The calendar on AMD’s page for the 2022 Game Developers Conference (GDC) includes a presentation on image upscaling. Details are scant, but there are multiple interesting topics it could cover given the difference between AMD’s current upscaling technology and that of its competitors.

There will be a presentation called “Next-Generation Image Upscaling for Games” from AMD on March 23 as part of GDC 2022. The description of the hour-long talk only says AMD will present some results from its research in image upscaling, without mentioning any specific technologies.

The company’s current image upscaling method – FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) – is already widely used in PC games. Though AMD’s calendar doesn’t mention it by name, it’s safe to expect the presentation to cover it.

The talk could simply be about FSR's performance in recent games like God of War, Resident Evil Village, or Quake II RTX. However, the use of the term “next-generation” suggests AMD could also look to the future.

Another term that isn’t in the description for the presentation is machine learning, which AMD competitors Nvidia and Intel are employing in their image upscaling methods. Intel’s XeSS is yet to arrive, but comparisons between FSR and Nvidia’s DLSS generally show DLSS has the edge in terms of image quality (though FSR is gaining wider adoption than DLSS due to being open-source). The new generation of AMD graphics cards set to launch later this year could introduce the next step in FSR’s evolution.

AMD’s other planned presentations at GDC include talks on ray tracing as well as games like Deathloop and Far Cry 6.

Permalink to story.

Although nothing is explicitly mentioned, since AMD video cards now do have some sort of ray-tracing related circuitry on them, this announcement leads me to expect, or at least hope, that AMD will be announcing some technology similar to Nvidia's DLSS. Gamers may not really need ray tracing at all, so something to reduce its impact on performance isn't all that important, but what would be valued is if AMD could make tools available similar to Nvidia Broadcast.

Although nothing is explicitly mentioned, since AMD video cards now do have some sort of ray-tracing related circuitry on them, this announcement leads me to expect, or at least hope, that AMD will be announcing some technology similar to Nvidia's DLSS. Gamers may not really need ray tracing at all, so something to reduce its impact on performance isn't all that important, but what would be valued is if AMD could make tools available similar to Nvidia Broadcast.
FSR is AMD's answer to DLSS... did you not read the article? Ray Tracing has nothing to do with upscaling... you use it WITH DLSS or FSR simply because Ray Tracing is very demanding of a GPU, and therefore lowering the resolution can ease the burden...

When things become more generic and get a AI memory for images before . Would be interesting to see them running on old movies .

I love making BS predictions . Also will give someone here to get a patent if not already done ( go quickly now )

Patent ; To take a 2d photo , TV program , Movie, Video and place the viewer in scene for view with a 3D device
Patent to allow for mention person to move around and change their viewing angles- not limited to a single plane

Patent - to traverse forwards, backwards and changing rate of time

Patent to become an active participant in the stream blah blah infinite patents

I think with both Nvidia and Intel offering AI upscaling techniques AMD will have no choice to look for more advanced solutions than FSR. DLSS 2.2+ is better IMO and that Intel XeSS looked good. I hope RDNA3 not only greatly improves the RT engine, but adds NN hardware acceleration.

It's FSR2, is much better than the current FSR, since this one is based on ML and does take temporal data into account.

Any chance they'll boast about FSR again?

Not a very impressive answer. Unreal Engine TAAU is more interesting, even more than DLSS, because it doesn't requiere special hardware.

My guess is that AMD will show of a TAAU type solution, which will sit in quality between a sharpener such as FSR and a ML solution such as DLSS.

So far I have never used FSR, it ruins the image quality too much, It doesnt matter if its available in lots of games if you dont use it. Im sure its more relevant for weaker systems like old laptops etc. I do use DLSS but not in all games. The thing I like most about DLSS is how it seems to make motion much clearer, I think it seems less blurred than TAA.

Back