AMD's 50th anniversary Ryzen 7 2700X CPU will feature Lisa Su's signature

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Aside from the packaging and IHS markings, however, it doesn’t appear as though the chip itself will differ from the standard Ryzen 7 2700X. Those hoping for binned chips with higher thresholds appear to be out of luck although until AMD officially announces it, anything is possible.

Advanced Micro Devices will observe its 50th birthday on May 1, 2019. In celebration of the golden jubilee, the chipmaker is launching special 50th anniversary editions of some of its products including a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU.

VideoCardz managed to get their hands on some leaked photos of the processor and its packaging. As you can see, the 50th anniversary Ryzen 7 2700X features the laser etched signature of AMD CEO Lisa Su as well as the AMD 50 logo. It also comes packaged in a special black and gold retail box.

AMD launched the Ryzen 7 2700X on April 19, 2018. Built on a 12nm process, it features a base clock of 3.7GHz, a boost clock of 4.3GHz and a TDP of 105 watts.

The new chip, along with a special edition Radeon VII graphics card and perhaps some other hardware, will reportedly be announced on April 29 – likely in limited quantities.

Permalink to story.

So exciting... hold me back...

Would have rather seen Jerry Sanders signature on there and a polished copper finish would have been nice to have it stand out at least a little... But nope Lisa Su's signature, really? And change the orange on the box to gold. So original AMD...

If it's not highly binned then what's the point?

At least the i7 8086k had something beyond the nostalgic moniker, namely it was the best of the best you could get.

I can think of no better symbol to honor the cumulative successes of countless employees spanning 50 years than to place the lone signature of the chief millionaire executive from the last 4.5 years on the IHS. :joy:

(put down the pitchforks, not meant to be anti-AMD at all, quite the contrary).

So exciting... hold me back...

Would have rather seen Jerry Sanders signature on there and a polished copper finish would have been nice to have it stand out at least a little... But nope Lisa Su's signature, really? And change the orange on the box to gold. So original AMD...

It's not like it will be visible once it's installed anyway, unless someone is going to just put it on a shelf.

"The new chip, along with a special edition Radeon VII graphics card and perhaps some other hardware, will reportedly be announced on April 29 – likely in limited quantities."

Wait, I'm getting the feeling this was done because maybe someone named Lisa might be getting fired soon. :O

It's not like it will be visible once it's installed anyway, unless someone is going to just put it on a shelf.
In theory, if you don't already have a 2700x right now, there's zero reason to go out and but one when the 3000 series is right around the corner, other than to put it on a shelf to admire it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 1700, but I, and probably most, don’t give two shits about Su and won’t spend $1 for her signature. This is worse than intel charging the same price for a cpu with no on-board gpu than one with a working gpu.

Memorabilia with die cast original and the modern Ryzen 3000 showcasing 50 years of progress would make more sense. Intel, for their part, are good at souping up their current offerings, however AMD don't really have that advantage. Maybe they should have just waited for the 3000 release. I think that issue would still be well received. You can pre-order the chip, and get a die cast replica to display, even in the meantime. I will consider the Performance Ryzen 3000 chip as the 50 year anniversary offering. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the exact 50th year day.

Last edited:
Back