AMD's Lisa Su doubles down on 'Big Navi' and Zen 3 for 2020

onetheycallEric

Staff
In brief: On The Bring Up series hosted on AMD's YouTube channel, Dr. Lisa Su confirmed once again that we'll see more potent Radeon graphics cards this year. Su also reaffirmed the arrival of Zen 3 in 2020, going so far as to say Zen 3 is doing "really well."

"I’ve heard a little bit through Twitter and Reddit that people are wondering about, you know, Big Navi. I can say you're gonna see Big Navi in 2020. There might be few people wondering about Zen 3 as well, and I can tell you that Zen 3 is doing really well, we are excited about it, and I look forward talking about that later in 2020," said Su.

Outside of the acknowledgment that Big Navi will debut this year, Su remained tight lipped about details. Judging from AMD's past hardware launches, we can reasonably expect to know more at E3, presumably with an event similar to last year's New Horizon Gaming Event. That's where AMD debuted its Navi 10 silicon and the RX 5000-series.

As to what form Big Navi will take, we're still forced to speculate. We can expect -- or hope, rather -- that AMD will finally address the upper end of Nvidia's RTX product stack, from the RTX 2070 Super on up. Recently, we were treated to a leaked benchmark of what could be an unannounced AMD GPU. While it's important to take that benchmark with all due skepticism, the prospect of a proper competitor to Nvidia's RTX 2080 Ti is tantalizing indeed.

AMD typically reserves CPU and motherboard announcements for Computex, and it's likely that's where we'll hear more regarding AMD's next generation of desktop processors.

Permalink to story.

The 2080Ti was released in September 2018.

It's January 2020 now so I'd expect that AMD should be able to "beat it" (finally).

Thing is...every single GTX and RTX owner anticipates that the 3000 series from Nvidia will be even more powerful with a 3080Ti that blows away virtually everything else.

And now you know why it's important to dominate.

The 2080Ti was the top card since 2018 and even if there was a challenger...Nvidia still had the RTX Titan waiting in the shadows to remind you "no you don't".

STEAM hardware surveys also show that Intel was the majority of gamers logged in with AMD trailing far behind.

Sure you can crank out less expensive CPU but most gamers aren't going to change their entire motherboard to upgrade to a new chip.

Two separate ecosystems that suck buyers in and keep them.

Yah, I'll probably stick with my used $42 2010 Xeon (6c/12t; 3.33ghz [3.6 turbo]) for another year.... at least until all of this dust settles. I really like the prospect of some truly wicked GPUs in the mid-range to budget category.

It's January 2020 now so I'd expect that AMD should be able to "beat it" (finally).

Thing is...every single GTX and RTX owner anticipates that the 3000 series from Nvidia will be even more powerful with a 3080Ti that blows away virtually everything else.

The 2080Ti was the top card since 2018 and even if there was a challenger...Nvidia still had the RTX Titan waiting in the shadows to remind you "no you don't".

STEAM hardware surveys also show that Intel was the majority of gamers logged in with AMD trailing far behind.

Sure you can crank out less expensive CPU but most gamers aren't going to change their entire motherboard to upgrade to a new chip.

Intel are number one on steam because of laptops.

Prime time for building an all new system this year. Zen 3, big Navi, Nvidia 7nm. I have some money waiting for a brand new machine top to bottom when Zen 3 and all the new graphics cards are on the market.

Hopefully by September there will be all new hardware and good competitive choices.

I, too, am eying a new build. Late summer/early fall should be a great time to put one together. Unfortunately, my budget always dictates that my money be spent elsewhere. We'll see how things shake out later in the year. Be sure and let us know how your build turns out, when it turns out.

Cheers.

Intel are number one on steam because of laptops.

Being Number1 is being number 1 however you get there.

And yes...I'd also assume that's why the majority of Steam registers show GTX 1060.

The 1060 is a very common, inexpensive GPU that still gets the job done in 2020.

Being Number1 is being number 1 however you get there.

And yes...I'd also assume that's why the majority of Steam registers show GTX 1060.

The 1060 is a very common, inexpensive GPU that still gets the job done in 2020.
AMD doesn't have the billions to throw at R&D that Intel or Nvidia does. Intel became complacent and is starting to fall behind quiet quickly. The 3000 series should solidify AMDs CPU dominance.

Now that that's done, they can start throwing more money at the GPU sector. AMD is doing an amazing job with what they have. If the new Navi can give you 2080ti performance for $7-800 then they won't be a joke any longer. But the midranges market will always be the largest. Like you said, the GTX1060 is the most popular GPU on steam. All AMD needs to do is capture the midranged crown. It doesn't matter who has the best card, it's who sells the most cards.

AMD doesn't have the billions to throw at R&D that Intel or Nvidia does. Intel became complacent and is starting to fall behind quiet quickly. The 3000 series should solidify AMDs CPU dominance.

Now that that's done, they can start throwing more money at the GPU sector. AMD is doing an amazing job with what they have. If the new Navi can give you 2080ti performance for $7-800 then they won't be a joke any longer. But the midranges market will always be the largest. Like you said, the GTX1060 is the most popular GPU on steam. All AMD needs to do is capture the midranged crown. It doesn't matter who has the best card, it's who sells the most cards.

#1. When I said “3000 series” I meant Nvidia’s 3000 series.

3060,3070, 3080, 3080Ti, etc.

#2. Steam’s surveys show the 1060 as the most used. Mostly because of laptops.

the next 6 spots are dominated by Nvidia GPU.
AMD is wayyyyyyyyyy down on the list.

The steam survey also shows simplified Chinese jumping by over 14% in a single month and is now sitting at a 37.87%. That's higher then English which is at 30.43%.

If you believe that number 1 on the steam survey is the best then you believe that every game should have simplified Chinese as the primary language, given that it now outranks every other language.

Then again that same survey has 1/3rd of people with a screen below 1080p. Steam has had problems with Netcafes in the past and they clearly still have problems now.

I know what you meant, I was talking cpus and meant 4000 series ryzen.

And what I said still stands, all that matters is if AMD can dominate the midranged market where most of the sales are.

Up until now nVidia has had the better price performance in the midranged market. Budget centric consumers are less interested in brand loyalty.

Further, I still think AMD has done an amazing job in improving performance with the resources they have compared to Intel or Nvidia. It wasnt all that long ago that people though Intel would become a monopoly because AMD simply couldn't afford to pay it's bills and go under.

You claim to be an investor, use some fundamental analysis while looking at AMDs stock price and product selection.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any clue how RDNA +2 will affect GPUS? It looks like it will push intel off the top of the gaming charts. But any guesses on big Navi? I know it's been touted by Lisa that 7nm is much cheaper to make vs what nvidia currently has. Yet the 5500..... Oh yeah it's been mentioned 7 nm is a shortage state atm driving up prices. How long will it take to fill demand?

AMD has had the lead in GP compute for some time. That, and Zen 2 EPYC, is what got them some wins for recent high-profile HPC/supercomputer projects. Such contracts are also very profitable. I bet their R&D/Product development departments will appreciate the extra income.

The steam survey also shows simplified Chinese jumping by over 14% in a single month and is now sitting at a 37.87%. That's higher then English which is at 30.43%.

If you believe that number 1 on the steam survey is the best then you believe that every game should have simplified Chinese as the primary language, given that it now outranks every other language.

Then again that same survey has 1/3rd of people with a screen below 1080p. Steam has had problems with Netcafes in the past and they clearly still have problems now.

China and India have more 15-25 year olds than America has citizens.
They don’t need to make a primary language.

they just need to cater to the large markets.

That doesn't reflect what enthusiasts are currently buying. Just looking at Amazon's best selling CPU's, Intel doesn't even show up until 12th place.

That doesn't reflect what enthusiasts are currently buying. Just looking at Amazon's best selling CPU's, Intel doesn't even show up until 12th place.

Exactly ... it should be a surprise to no one that 90% of the CPUs sold in the last 7 years are still in use somewhere - and through the bulldozer era, 90% of those sold at the time, were Intel.

So when people note that Intel still has "huge market share" - its a bit like looking into deep space and seeing the past - not too valuable for evaluating what's happening now ... current sales tell what's happening now, market share tells what happened before.

China and India have more 15-25 year olds than America has citizens.
They don’t need to make a primary language.

they just need to cater to the large markets.

This comment makes zero sense.

"They don't need to make a primary language"

I don't think you know what that means....

So when people note that Intel still has "huge market share" - its a bit like looking into deep space and seeing the past - not too valuable for evaluating what's happening now ... current sales tell what's happening now, market share tells what happened before.

Exactly.

Does anyone have any clue how RDNA +2 will affect GPUS? It looks like it will push intel off the top of the gaming charts. But any guesses on big Navi? I know it's been touted by Lisa that 7nm is much cheaper to make vs what nvidia currently has. Yet the 5500..... Oh yeah it's been mentioned 7 nm is a shortage state atm driving up prices. How long will it take to fill demand?

That is the question.

It seems navi10 when underclocked, becomes efficient. So if AMD doubles the size of navi10 and underclock it a tad, then you will have greater than x2 performance.
re:
7nm to 7nm+
rDNA to rDNA2

I was going to upgrade this last December, I have a 4790k oc to 4.7GHz, gaming only. Don't see any point of upgrading at the minute so I'm putting it of for another 2 years.

Huh? Almost every single person who upgraded to a new Intel chip for gaming has had to change out their motherboard. So ... yeah ... I'd say if most gamers use "Intel" then I'd say what you wrote is the opposite of an accurate representation of reality.

Those unwilling to buy a new mobo every time they upgrade their chip already use AMD so they already don't have to. If you want to use Intel for your gaming chip - youre gonna buy a new motherboard on pretty much every CPU upgrade. Period.

Huh? Almost every single person who upgraded to a new Intel chip for gaming has had to change out their motherboard. So ... yeah ... I'd say if most gamers use "Intel" then I'd say what you wrote is the opposite of an accurate representation of reality.

Those unwilling to buy a new mobo every time they upgrade their chip already use AMD so they already don't have to. If you want to use Intel for your gaming chip - youre gonna buy a new motherboard on pretty much every CPU upgrade. Period.

With everything you just said: there is still no illusion that Intel and Nvidia control the CPU and GPU markets. AMD can't even wrestle the low-end GPU market away from Nvidia - who dominates with the 1060.

Let me let you in on a secret...

When you're involved in an elitist hobby such as "PC Master Race"... no one is fighting to show off the cheapest CPU and GPU.

With everything you just said: there is still no illusion that Intel and Nvidia control the CPU and GPU markets. AMD can't even wrestle the low-end GPU market away from Nvidia - who dominates with the 1060.

Let me let you in on a secret...

When you're involved in an elitist hobby such as "PC Master Race"... no one is fighting to show off the cheapest CPU and GPU.

Still boasting about Intel owning the pre-built market?

Back