AMD's Ryzen 5000 series gets price cut in wake of Alder Lake launch

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? With Alder Lake-S reviews praising Intel’s chips as finally being worthy competitors to AMD’s Ryzen alternatives, it seems team red is making the only move it can until the Ryzen 6000 series arrives next year: drop the price of its current lineup.

VideoCardz reports that MicroCenter has reduced the price of some AMD Ryzen 5000 (Vermeer) processors in the wake of Alder Lake’s arrival. The most significant reduction is on the 8-core Ryzen 7 5800X, which is down to $299—$150 off its usual price.

Those after an absolute monster of a chip can save $100 on the Ryzen 9 5950X, with the 16-core CPU now $699 instead of the usual $799. We gave the top Ryzen processor a score of 90 in last year’s review, noting its exceptional gaming and productivity performance.

The Ryzen 5 5600X is also reduced, albeit by a smaller amount than the other two Vermeer chips. The 6-core CPU is down from the usual $299 to $279.

Not all retailers appear to be offering the same price cuts. Amazon doesn't have any Ryzen 5000 CPUs in stock right now, and European retailers are yet to offer money off the chips. There are a couple of discounts on Ryzen 5000 processors at Newegg, but they're not as substantial as those at MicroCenter.

AMD will likely feel more pressure when Intel releases its Alder Lake non-K Core i5 series, set to be priced under $300. We recently heard that a potential new budget king, the i5-12400F, might be $160, but AMD does have the advantage of better availability for its AM4 motherboards. There’s also Ryzen 6000, which is expected to drop early next year.

In other Alder Lake news, Intel recently released a list of games that don’t currently work with its hybrid CPUs, though patches are on their way—and there is a workaround.

Permalink to story.

At least you can play most of your games on Ryzen - Alder Lake not so much (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088261/processors.html)

:)

Yet all of these games runs when you go to bios switch Legacy Game Compatibility Mode to ON.... Then before your start game toggle Scroll Lock key ON.
Very simple

Also, most of these games are either old or not worth playing (Far Cry Primal, Fishing Sim World ! LOL)... It won't matter for future since all games will run out of the box.... While these "few" games will just need the method I mentioned which is very simple (clicking on scroll key before you start game is not hard)

I don't see any issue here at all cause the fix is very simple..... But if you are AMD fanboy then obviously you want it to look like a big problem

5000 XT models incoming too, Alder Lake is not the only reason why prices drop now.

1 year old chips by now, even tho AMD was struggling to deliver 5900X and 5950X for many many months post release.

5800X for 299 dollars is good value, personally I would never buy a 5600X. It's 8C/16T minimum going forward for me.

6C/12T might be too low when true next gen games comes out. 5600X already have lower minimum fps in alot of games compared to 5800X and up.

Zen 4 and 5nm chips are more than 1 year away.

Good work Intel, if Alderlake hadn’t been very good AMD would still be milking the market, charging $450 for an 8 core CPU…

Good work Intel, if Alderlake hadn’t been very good AMD would still be milking the market, charging $450 for an 8 core CPU…
Yep AMD was slowly turning into Intel but AMD fanbois did not realize and settled with 5600X because the top-chips were too expensive 🤣

Pat Gelsinger is turning around Intel fast.

Yet all of these games runs when you go to bios switch Legacy Game Compatibility Mode to ON.... Then before your start game toggle Scroll Lock key ON.
Very simple

Also, most of these games are either old or not worth playing (Far Cry Primal, Fishing Sim World ! LOL)... It won't matter for future since all games will run out of the box.... While these "few" games will just need the method I mentioned which is very simple (clicking on scroll key before you start game is not hard)

I don't see any issue here at all cause the fix is very simple..... But if you are AMD fanboy then obviously you want it to look like a big problem

Chances are if you're running in UEFI mode you've also got a drive formatted for it, which means legacy mode won't let your machine boot. Maybe before posting your "wisdom" you should actually be informed about a subject.

Chances are if you're running in UEFI mode you've also got a drive formatted for it, which means legacy mode won't let your machine boot. Maybe before posting your "wisdom" you should actually be informed about a subject.
Legacy Game Compatibility Mode has nothing to do with Legacy BIOS Compatibility Mode, it simply places the E-cores on standby when running games

However games will be patched soon enough and DRM will be removed at some point anyway if they are not

But if you really have Alder Lake and needs to play some of these games, you easily can

Yep AMD was slowly turning into Intel but AMD fanbois did not realize and settled with 5600X because the top-chips were too expensive 🤣

Pat Gelsinger is turning around Intel fast.
Yup, if you’re an AMD fan then in 2018 $300 bought you the fastest CPU in the line up - the 2700X. Fast forward 2 years and $300 gets you the cheapest part in the stack - the 5600X. They actually increased pricing far more than Intel ever did on its core series back when AMD were lagging. Although I’m not naive enough to believe either of these companies are any better or worse than each other.

This sale prices is only specific to mirocenter and has not been done across all retailers still need to wait. Since the amount of people that are close to a microcenter are pretty small.

This sale prices is only specific to mirocenter and has not been done across all retailers still need to wait. Since the amount of people that are close to a microcenter are pretty small.
Yep AMD has not officially lowered prices, however I expect they will soon or sales will slow down to a hold.

300 dollars for a 5600X is far too much. No wonder that Intel took alot of desktop marketshare back with chips like 10400 and 11400, they beat AMD on value.

And 12400 looks to do exactly the same thing. Sub 200 dollars for 5600X beating performance. AMD is forced to lower prices very soon.

12600K smashes 5600X for the same price, even with DDR4, especially outside of gaming.

Last edited:
Can you explain why prices are always high in Australia? It's close to asian countries which makes the products. Does the government rip you off? 😑
Yes, the Australian government's cut of all profits is higher than most countries, but at least they have taken away more freedom in the last 2 years than most countries to balance it out.

This is an awful, awful news story.

The price did not just instantly drop by $150 because of Adler Lake's release. Who the helI wrote this story and did absolutely zero research? Is this a Yahoo news story I'm reading here?

The 5800x had been price cut way before Adler Lake from Intel launched. The 5800x at Micro Center, for the past 6 or so months has been at $320. The 5600x has also been reduced 6 or so months back from MSRP to $20 off. Even the 5900x and 5950x had been reduced at Micro Center 6 or so months back.

Wow. I can't believe crap you guys are putting on your site and calling it "news". Shame on you guys.

The 5800x was up until recently, at Micro Center, priced at $320. Before that, about 6 months ago, was priced at $350 and before that it was at MSRP.
The 5600x was, up until about 6 months ago, priced at MSRP ($299) and was priced down to $279.
The 5900x was, up until about 6 months ago, priced at MSRP ($549) and was priced down to $499.
The 5950x was, up until about 6 months ago, priced at MSRP ($799) and was priced down to $699.

No one really wants a 5800x, even before Adler Lake.
The 5600x runs games the same as a 5800x, but falls behind in multithreaded tasks and runs a lot cooler and uses upwards of 50W less.
The 5900x walks all over the 5800x in multithreaded tasks, uses maybe 20W more over the 5800x and also runs a lot cooler.

You comment lacks wisdom
Legacy Game Compatibility Mode has noting to do with legacy bios mode

No idea why you are even assuming it is same thing....

Last edited:
This is an awful, awful news story.

The price did not just instantly drop by $150 because of Adler Lake's release. Who the helI wrote this story and did absolutely zero research? Is this a Yahoo news story I'm reading here?

The 5800x had been price cut way before Adler Lake from Intel launched. The 5800x at Micro Center, for the past 6 or so months has been at $320. The 5600x has also been reduced 6 or so months back from MSRP to $20 off. Even the 5900x and 5950x had been reduced at Micro Center 6 or so months back.

Wow. I can't believe crap you guys are putting on your site and calling it "news". Shame on you guys.

The 5800x was up until recently, at Micro Center, priced at $320. Before that, about 6 months ago, was priced at $350 and before that it was at MSRP.
The 5600x was, up until about 6 months ago, priced at MSRP ($299) and was priced down to $279.
The 5900x was, up until about 6 months ago, priced at MSRP ($549) and was priced down to $499.
The 5950x was, up until about 6 months ago, priced at MSRP ($799) and was priced down to $699.

No one really wants a 5800x, even before Adler Lake.
The 5600x runs games the same as a 5800x, but falls behind in multithreaded tasks and runs a lot cooler and uses upwards of 50W less.
The 5900x walks all over the 5800x in multithreaded tasks, uses maybe 20W more over the 5800x and also runs a lot cooler.
The 5800x made a lot of sense at that price point (~320$) before Alder lake.

Last edited:
And that was coming from someone who was also commenting about "AMD Fanboyism". :rolleyes:🤣

Back on topic, competition is a good thing.

Back