Analogue Interactive shrinks its gorgeous aluminum NES by 20 percent, lowers price

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Analogue Interactive, makers of our favorite all-aluminum Nintendo Entertainment System remake, have developed a smaller version of their trademark Analogue Nt console that’ll arrive early next year.

The aptly-named Analogue Nt mini is 20 percent smaller than the original and comes with 1080p HDMI output as well as RGB, Component, S-Video and Composite built right in. Buyers also get a NES30 controller from 8bitdo should you choose to play wirelessly although there are four original NES controller ports on the console if you’re after a more authentic experience.

The region-free system will play more than 2,000 NES, Famicom and Famicom Disk System games (via expansion port), a fact that Analogue Interactive is quick to point out.

Nintendo’s upcoming NES Classic, if you recall, is a nearly identical miniature replica of the original NES except that it can’t play carts. Instead, the mini console will come loaded with 30 of the top NES games of all-time including The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!! and Excitebike, just to name a few.

Like the original, the Analogue Nt mini won’t come cheap. Expect to pay $449 for the system which you can pre-order as of writing. That's no doubt a lot of money but it's actually $50 cheaper than the full-size Nt system and several thousand less than the 24k gold-plated version.

Look for it to ship in January 2017.

Permalink to story.

Honestly I wasn't a fan of the styling before, and even being 20% smaller and 10% cheaper it still doesn't appeal to me... more power to those that it does appeal to.

The region-free system will play more than 2,000 NES, Famicom and Famicom Disk System games (via expansion port), a fact that Analogue Interactive is quick to point out.
Expect to pay $449 for the system which you can pre-order as of writing.
Only if $449 comes with the 2000 games.

Or you could get an NES emulator and download all the games for free, perhaps adding a NES PC controller for $20 or so.

It would need to include a pair of authentic controllers as well, access to an online library of games and maybe a talking dog to justify that laughable price. Or you could get an NES emulator and download all the games for free, perhaps adding a NES PC controller for $20 or so.

Or you could get an NES emulator and download all the games for free, perhaps adding a NES PC controller for $20 or so.

It would need to include a pair of authentic controllers as well, access to an online library of games and maybe a talking dog to justify that laughable price. Or you could get an NES emulator and download all the games for free, perhaps adding a NES PC controller for $20 or so.
Because I want to carry my bulky desktop into my living room to play some mario bros on my TV.

This targets the tech illiterate. As the percentage of people who know tech would purchase this I would assume to be very small. I'm sure they will do very well as there is a whole generation of people who played NES that are now in their 30's-40's, with money to burn and will buy this. As P.T. Barnum said, "there is a sucker born every minute." Just be glad you aren't in the group of people that see value here :p

Because I want to carry my bulky desktop into my living room to play some mario bros on my TV.

Get a Pi kit, for less than $80 you can purchase a Raspberry Pi, an hdmi cable, power adapter a case and even a memory card, then download one of the retropi versions out there and put it in the memory card, and +$20 for a wired or wireless controller and you can even play N64 os PSP/PSX titles (Chrono Chross I'm looking at you).

Or you could probably do a similar setup with your phone and cast it to a tv, hell, you can even buy a new slim notebook for the price of this console that will run almost every emulator you throw at it.

Disclaimer: Roms are not free, that is illegal, if you bought the game at one point it could be a backup but at no point it's recommended that you download "free" games, they are not free.

Just be glad you aren't in the group of people that see value here :p
Oh I do see value, just not $450 for the console alone. The console no matter how they made it would not exceed a value of $50. My value on 30 year old games is 20 cents a game.

Back