Android 2.3 ROM for European Samsung Galaxy S leaked

Emil

Staff

An official and final (read: not beta) Android 2.3.3 ROM has leaked for the standard I9000 iteration of the Samsung Galaxy S. Unfortunately, this means it will only work on the European version of the phone and those in the US still have to play the waiting game. This is the same build that you would receive if you send your handset to a Samsung Service Center for repair, according to XDA Developers.

Check out the ROM Highlights video below, courtesy of The Android Soul, to get a taste of what your phone will soon be getting. For the Installation Guide, watch this video and read these instructions. For the Rooting Guide, watch this video and read these instructions.

The leak is one thing, but the fact that Samsung is starting to update handsets when they arrive at its repair centers is good news. This would suggest that Samsung Galaxy S owners won't have to wait much longer to get an official Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) build from their carrier.

Some users are still waiting for Android 2.2 (codenamed Froyo). We would recommend skipping it and going straight to Gingerbread, if you get the chance of course.

Permalink to story.

I'm running this currently. I'm seeing a lot of improvement in speed and battery life compared to my previous Froyo ROM (XWJS7) which was plenty fast as it is. However, I heard that some users are having problems with artefacting in 3D GPU-accelerated games but I have not encountered any such issue so far.

There isn't really a European version as far as I know. There's the GT-I9000 (which I have) and it's the international version. European/Asian/Middle Eastern phones differ only in firmware.

As for the users still waiting for Froyo, they could always try updating it manually if they're not worried about voiding their warranty.

At last some good news from Samsung, hopefully I'll be getting Gingerbread for my GT-i9000 soon.

I hope they will be releasing the final rom/update for all regions very soon.

Archean said:
At last some good news from Samsung, hopefully I'll be getting Gingerbread for my GT-i9000 soon.

You could always download and flash this.. If you've rooted your device then your warranty's already gone anyway ;)

I haven't, mainly because it doesn't want to connect with any PC I use (and I use 3 different PCs almost daily). But I know I can always ask Samsung's country manager here to do it for me ;). Also this GT-i9000 isn't career locked, so I need to ensure as such I don't end up putting a wrong rom on it.

So wait. even though its just for European's this will still work if we flash it on our device? I've rooted my Captivate... Sorry, I dont understand fully how this stuff works.

No it's only for Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (International version). So it won't work on your Captivate.

trillionsin said:
So wait. even though its just for European's this will still work if we flash it on our device? I've rooted my Captivate... Sorry, I dont understand fully how this stuff works.

Dude I caution you against installing this on a Captivate. This rom includes a secondary bootloader and it's only for the international I9000 model. The I9000 and Captivate (I897) have different bootloaders and flashing one intended for the I9000 may even brick your phone.

Back