Android beats iOS in platform loyalty, study finds

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Much was made about brand loyalty in the early days of the mobile industry but nowadays, people tend to pick a platform and stick with it. Those needing proof need to look no further than the latest report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP).

According to the research firm, Android has an impressive 91 percent loyalty rate with Apple’s iOS lagging behind slightly at 86 percent. As TechCrunch highlights, the figure measures the percentage of US customers who stayed with their operating system when upgrading their phone in 2017.

Mike Levin, partner and co-founder of CIRP, said that with only two mobile operating systems at this point, it appears users now pick one, learn it, invest in apps and storage and stick with it. Levin added that now, Apple and Google just need to figure out how to [better] sell products and services to their loyal customer base.

Android’s high brand loyalty could have a lot to do with the fact that there are many different phones to choose from. This means a user can have a totally different experience on a new device without having to relearn and reinvest in a different operating system. With iOS, you’ve got a few different model iPhones to choose from and that’s it.

Android hasn’t always led in customer loyalty. In 2013, data showed that iPhone users were more loyal than their Android counterparts. That changed the following year, however, and Android has led the way ever since.

Permalink to story.

ROFL -- Apple would have died long ago were it not for the hardened loyalty of the Mac heads :grin:

The difference / reason being "Android" includes a looooooong list of brands. iOS includes 1 brand. If you want iOS, pay Apple. No wonder there's so many Android-loyal people. They have the freedom to choose which brand they support.
Quite obvious to all.

I stay on iOS because I know darn well that I will get the security updates that my device needs when it needs it, just like my Windows system. I have said it before and I'll say it again, the way that Android is updated is like having to beg HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc. for that Windows security update that Microsoft released six month ago and then being told "We see that you bought your system six months ago, yeah... we don't give a flying f**k about you. Buy a new system you cheapskate!!! Our CEO needs to buy a new yacht because his last one doesn't quite measure up to the one that Jeff Bezos has."

ROFL -- Apple would have died long ago were it not for the hardened loyalty of the Mac heads :grin:
It's more than just that, Apple was smart, they got you hooked in the beginning all that Steve Jobs fan cult thing, but they made it so that you didn't just buy a device, you got slowly sucked into a full blown ecosystem out of which only a few people can make it out without scrapping everything.

I stay on iOS because I know darn well that I will get the security updates that my device needs when it needs it
Unless you periodically check into those "nude girl" apps or are one of those people that need to try every new app that comes out, you should be fine with normal usage of a phone without requiring security updates.

The reason I like Android. I bought my apple 4 gen Ipod and a Samsung Galaxy Tab at the same time. Basically the apple sits in a drawer because they updated the os and all the new apps are incompatible. the samsung is being used still all the apps still work and robustly. never will I buy such a proprietory gadget ever. I have never had a virus on the android . I'm sticking with android rain or shine or snow

Unless you periodically check into those "nude girl" apps or are one of those people that need to try every new app that comes out, you should be fine with normal usage of a phone without requiring security updates.
Nope, if that was true Microsoft wouldn't be coming out with security updates every single month. If it was true Google Chrome, Firefox, and all kinds of different programs wouldn't be coming out with monthly security updates as well.

Security updates are important!!! They need to be deployed quickly and efficiently. There's no such thing as Windows Update on Android and it desperately needs one.

It isn't loyalty, it's simply that Apple doesn't even try to appeal to a large portion of Android users. Need an SD card slot or more space? Impossible on Apple. Need a super cheap reliable phone? Impossible on Apple. Need a headphone jack? Impossible on Apple. Want a different aesthetic or more rugged device? Impossible on Apple.

Not that Apple is bad, it's just that you either will want an Apple device or you won't, it's a specific mold you have to fit.

Was a Windows diehard since the early 1990's. Only recently did I switch to IOS for my computing requirements, simply because the MacBooks are so well built and pleasing aesthetically.

I did have several iterations of iPhones, however switched back to Android as its a more open system when it comes to apps for accessing newsgroups for example, which are barred from the App Store

A balance for some people at least is the best solution

I personally find iOS devices to be quite significantly superior to Android devices. But god dam it I wish they would allow true Spotify on the Apple Watch and be home pod. I mean I’m not going to switch to Android, been there a few times now and always regret it. But Apple aren’t exactly doing their best to try and keep us Spotify users.

I have one iphone 6 s plus (no phone number) & an ipad 2 & an Android phone,(with phone number) I prefer apple because its MUCH easier to reset it if needed.

Somehow for me that's not the case. My iPhone 7 Plus is meeting my needs just fine! Just because you think it's crap doesn't mean it's crap to other people. I see the value in owning an iPhone.

My computer however is a Windows PC.
You have a point but I dont ever see me seeing buying any more apple.

Was a Windows diehard since the early 1990's. Only recently did I switch to IOS for my computing requirements, simply because the MacBooks are so well built and pleasing aesthetically.

I did have several iterations of iPhones, however switched back to Android as its a more open system when it comes to apps for accessing newsgroups for example, which are barred from the App Store

A balance for some people at least is the best solution

I disagree. Buying devices from different ecosystems usually leads to the worst of compromises because none of them fully integrate as do devices from the one ecosystem

The difference / reason being "Android" includes a looooooong list of brands. iOS includes 1 brand. If you want iOS, pay Apple. No wonder there's so many Android-loyal people. They have the freedom to choose which brand they support.

Yep, this is quite a flawed survey. iPhone is a brand of phone. Android s not a brand of phone. It would have been better to test iPhone loyalty against brand loyalty of customers of Samsung, HTC etc.

The reason I like Android. I bought my apple 4 gen Ipod and a Samsung Galaxy Tab at the same time. Basically the apple sits in a drawer because they updated the os and all the new apps are incompatible. the samsung is being used still all the apps still work and robustly. never will I buy such a proprietory gadget ever. I have never had a virus on the android . I'm sticking with android rain or shine or snow

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab, too. It got one update that was 18 months late and then never received another update. Apple products get at least 4 years of updates, often more. I hated being ripped-off by Samsung.

As for your apps that stopped working, I suspect that was the fault of the developers, not Apple.

Until the iphone 6s is phased out at the end of the year, of course, as soon as the X2 or 8 or whatever launches.

At the same time, your comment is both true and wrong. Sure, there is no jack built-into the iPhone 7 and later. However, the latest iPhones come with a dongle that is a headphone jack. Yeah, okay, I know that there are people who don't like the dongle but that doesn't alter the fact that it is a headphone jack.

I have tried Apple products, worst experience ever, I'll stick with my windows pc and my android phone.

I have tried Apple products, worst experience ever, I'll stick with my windows pc and my android phone.
I have tried reading your comments. Worst experience ever. See how that works? Super easy to say something, but it is meaningless. Back it up with some thoughtful comments and then you have a discussion point where people can learn things and perhaps have a change of opinion as they become more informed.

Not correct. Apple still sell the iPhone 6s, which includes a headphone jack ;-)

Yeah if you don't mind getting a few generations old hardware for $450-$650 when you can get a Moto g for $200 with better everything brand new. It's a complete ripoff, especially considering it's support from Apple is going to be cut off sooner than any newer phone.

Using an old phone as an example doesn't prove anything other than how hard it is and is going to become to get a headphone jack on an iPhone. Apple doesn't care about these people, why would they jump on the Apple ecosystem when at some point in the near future they are going to be forced to upgrade to a phone that doesn't have a headphone jack? And if they then decide to go over to android they are going to loose all their app purchases. Sounds like an incredibly short sided purchase decision.

I went with Android because it was the most cost-effective for me and offered a wider range of apps. I'm not happy with permission policies that causes some apps to not install or work if I only want to use a small portion of its functions. A music app doesn't need camera and/or mic permissions so it can what...spy on me. I imagine the same issue would apply to Apple too. I contend with Google spy features, however, begrudgingly, but I don't need every app company on the bandwagon. I would also like the ability to install and update to newer versions of Android much like Windows on computers.

Back