Android collect PIM data even when not using cloud?

I've been eyeing a replacement for my 1st generation iPod touch for some time. After much asking on forums and visiting vendor shops, I pretty well decided on the Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro...this was about half a year ago, so the PDA/smartphone landscape may have changed. The driving consideration was that there were apps to directly synch the standard PIM data (Notes, Calendar, Contacts) with Outlook, that it had a landscape-orientation real keyboard, and the feel of the keyboard when I tested the shop versions.

What has kept me from actioning this decision was a conversation with an acquaintance who is positioned fairly high up on the technical side of RIM. He explained that the user agreeement for Android phones gives permission to Google to access PIM data (Contacts, Notes, and Calendar -- I didn't care about email because Google already has access to my gmail) even if don't go through the cloud. I haven't been able to find anything on the web to corroborate this. However, a friend who has an Android said that it was quite difficult to avoid using the cloud when using an Android phone.

What are the experiences of Android users at large? Does the user agreement actually give permission for Google to access PIM data even when not using Google cloud services for to manage this data? I mean, irrespective of whether they actually access the data. Also, as a second question, is it actually difficult to avoid going through the cloud for PIM data? I was going to use local apps that maintain such data resident on the device and directly sync locally with the laptop.

It is true that the Android user agreement gives Google permission to access PIM data, but as for not going through the cloud, I cant say one way or another I usually just connect my USB cable and sync it manually. The difficult part about Androids is that it requires you to register/sign in with a Google account in order to even use the phone, which I find quite annoying.

But this is how the Android setup is you need a Google account to use the Google apps like Gmail and Google Play Store (former Market). You can also stop Google from tracking your movements or what you do on your tablet or phone. But it has to be done on WiFi side. If you have additional SSID in your WiFi router you can set one too _nomap

So example:

Your SSID is: MYNET
Now your SSID is: MYNET_nomap

This is how you can solve that tracking issue. If you at home though.

It is true that the Android user agreement gives Google permission to access PIM data, but as for not going through the cloud, I cant say one way or another I usually just connect my USB cable and sync it manually. The difficult part about Androids is that it requires you to register/sign in with a Google account in order to even use the phone, which I find quite annoying.

Hmmm. Yes indeed, that *is* annoying.

Thanks for the info on permmitting Google to access PIM data.

But this is how the Android setup is you need a Google account to use the Google apps like Gmail and Google Play Store (former Market). You can also stop Google from tracking your movements or what you do on your tablet or phone. But it has to be done on WiFi side. If you have additional SSID in your WiFi router you can set one too _nomap

So example:

Your SSID is: MYNET
Now your SSID is: MYNET_nomap

This is how you can solve that tracking issue. If you at home though.

OK. Thanks. I have to take stock on whether I trust Google enough. Circumventing the tracking seems kind of troublesome.

You could also have a Rooted Android device and change the HOST file to block out IP addresses also there is a Root app free on Google Play called Adfree. If you can't do a Root then the best way it to block out the tracking by setting up SSID for your Android devices. Shown above by me. I don't like to be track on my Android tablets and Smartphones. I don't see the point to push adverts on me. That's why I have the Android devices Rooted, but not all of them are Rooted.

Back