Any issues with Foxit?

Beauty, I use FoxIt Reader all the time. It's 90% less of a resource hog than Adobe Reader will ever be, but if you're used to Adobe, then you should stick to Version 6 or below of Acrobat Reader.

Beauty, I use FoxIt Reader all the time. It's 90% less of a resource hog than Adobe Reader will ever be, but if you're used to Adobe, then you should stick to Version 6 or below of Acrobat Reader.
OK, I agree with you to a point, and I have Adobe Reader 6 installed in one of my machines. However, there are a few websites that will crash the 6.0 reader, and there are myriad security issues when using such an old version.
I've been using it for a long time :wave: :)
That's as may be BUT....I have heard that the newer freebie versions of Foxit, contain toolbars and such that cannot be opted out of. To be sure, this is hearsay on my part. The installer I have, (approaching 1 year old), contains a nuisance desktop shortcut, which goes directly to Ebay. Yes, you can delete it.
I read the CNET article on it. Thinking about switching over to it and uninstalling Adobe reader.
As I stated above, I suggest paying attention when you're installing Foxit, and carefully mind the tickboxes, so you don't get a bunch of garbage to go with it.

Adobe Reader 9, is I believe the current version. That installer is no better, or perhaps worse that Foxit, for the garbage that it wants to install along with the reader. (Adobe AIR etc).

For everybody, it's probably for the best not to go past Adobe Reader 8.0

Adobe no, Foxit conditionally

The captain said most of it, my opinion only differs slightly in the details.

I went over to Foxit years ago and consider it one of the most effective ways to increase both, performance and security of your machine. This is because Foxit is much lighter and less of a target for hackers than the Adobe product. But the situation is no longer as clear as it was back then.

Unfortunately, I have been informed that Foxit now comes with a nasty, hard to get rid of toolbar.

On the other hand, if you stick with Adobe, for serious security reasons you’ll want nothing but the very latest (and accordingly heaviest) version that patches the holes. Moreover, you’ll have to keep updating it as new holes are discovered, much like Windows.

So, my advice is:
1 If you can avoid or evade the toolbar piggybacking Foxit, then go for it by all means, end of story.
2 If you can’t, then stick with Adobe temporarily and seek another reader without nasty companions and it will still be better than Adobe, anything would. I’ve seen such an alternative reader recently somewhere, but can’t remember where. If I come across it again, I’ll inform. Or you can search for it of course, as you have more interest in it than me.

I use Foxit on all of my personal Windows machines and have suggested switching over at work - but that will never happen since we are finishing up a site license agreement with Adobe for Acrobat X.

other pdf readers...

There are other .pdf readers that will do a similar job to Foxit reader.
1) Perfect pdf reader 2) Sumatra pdf reader. Both are free to download and use I think.

Unsure if the following effect is a real one or not - must check

On an XP PC take a pdf downloaded directly into Foxit, and by using the 'save' option in foxit, tranfer the pdf to a Win98 PC having only Adobe (early version) and get told it is corrupt....

Back